jdwilde1

9 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

Bill Ripken hit .291 in 1990.  Bradley was .270 and I think Orsulak was .269.

The fact that none of our hitters had a remotely good batting average is kind of incredible. 

Back when I was a kid WTTR in Westminster used to do a trivia question during the 7th inning stretch (maybe it was through WBAL as well, not sure).  They were usually pretty easy so by the time I'd call in someone would already have won.  Sometime in 1990 the question was asked, which Oriole with enough ABs to qualify had the highest batting average the previous year.  I had my Topps team set so I furiously looked it up and found that it was Phil Bradley and won the contest.

Don't remember what it was, I want to say a $10 gift certificate to the mall or something like that, but 9-year old me felt like a king that night.  I stayed up late so I could hear my name announced to the radio as the winner.

Edited by glenn__davis
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, owknows said:

Batting average is just another stat. It has predictive value. It is well correlated with OBP.

I have a hard time understanding the general herd-mind snobbery that comes out whenever anyone mentions Batting Average.

RIght, it's just another stat!

So why do folks complain so much about it?

Why is there a thread bemoaning the low batting averages on the team?

In 2019 we had Hanser Alberto hit 305, he didn't walk or hit for power so his OPS+ was 98.

Is that what folks want?

An empty batting average?

The game has changed, strategy has evolved.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

RIght, it's just another stat!

So why do folks complain so much about it?

Why is there a thread bemoaning the low batting averages on the team?

In 2019 we had Hanser Alberto hit 305, he didn't walk or hit for power so his OPS+ was 98.

Is that what folks want?

An empty batting average?

The game has changed, strategy has evolved.

No one seems to be bemoaning it.  The OP made no editorial comments.  It's presented as an observation.

When I was growing up, batting average meant a ton.  So I still hang on to that because like many fans, what you grew up with is what you love.  I really enjoy watching good hitting, and even though I certainly value OBP and understand the value of walks, I would rather see base hits than walks.  I just see it as a more impressive skill and I find it more enjoyable optically.  

I find it incredibly odd that there wasn't a single guy on this team by the end of the year who had a good BA.  We have certainly seen years where the team batting average was low, but the distribution this year for the Os was incredibly narrow.  Everybody was basically the same hitter.  

I absolutely enjoy baseball more when the hitting is better.  It doesn't have to be like the mid-1990s, but a league batting average in the low .240s is just not a fun product to watch.  I would much prefer a league batting average about 20 points higher.  And more runs.  Getting rid of the shift will help, because I can't stand rockets up the middle that get gloved by the shortstop standing behind second base.  But the fact that each team has about 3-4 relievers who can throw 99 mph makes it harder for hitting, and I am not sure anything can be done about that.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

No one seems to be bemoaning it.  The OP made no editorial comments.  It's presented as an observation.

It was a reoccurring theme throughout the season.  I saw, in numerous threads, how Mancini was leading the team in BA.  One poster even went so far as to suggest Mancini was the best hitter on the team due to the higher batting average(this was after Adley was promoted).

51 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

a) The Federal League was 1914-15. Do I have to hold another remedial class?  I mean, c'mon, Baltimore Terrapins, the Supreme Court case that led to the anti-trust exemption, Jack Dunn moving the minor league Orioles to Richmond for a year because the Feds built their park across the street from his so 1915 is the only year since 1900 there were no Baltimore Orioles... this is basic stuff.

b) The Federal League was approximately as hard as A ball today

c) Batting average races are awesome, especially when someone is hitting like .390.  

d) No one really cares about batting average in a vacuum, but I certainly prefer a league that hits .280 to one that hits .240

e) The Majors hit .243 in 2022. Lowest mark since 1968, second-lowest since 1908.  With a league with as much depth and quality as we have today and a .243 overall average it's near impossible for someone to hit .350, much less .380 or .400.  So let's move the mound back 3'.

f) Strikeouts are driving the lower batting averages, because when you only make contact 75% of the time you have to hit like .375 on balls in play to have a decent average and that's very hard.  Again, let's move the mound back.

You do realize I like poking the bear because I like reading your responses, right?

Noted on the Federal League, but now I know what gets under your skin.  :) 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It was a reoccurring theme throughout the season.  I saw, in numerous threads, how Mancini was leading the team in BA.  One poster even went so far as to suggest Mancini was the best hitter on the team due to the higher batting average(this was after Adley was promoted).

The NERVE.  CoC, did you grump at that poster?  

• Upvote 1

BA has become a stat that is too undervalued.

OBP and OPS are more important but that doesn’t mean BA isn’t. 

Im wondering if good bat to ball skills is going to be something that becomes undervalued in the FA market?  Might be a way of adding some value to the team without spending a ton to do it.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

BA has become a stat that is too undervalued.

OBP and OPS are more important but that doesn’t mean BA isn’t. 

Im wondering if good bat to ball skills is going to be something that becomes undervalued in the FA market?  Might be a way of adding some value to the team without spending a ton to do it.

And owknows suddenly froze as he realized he was standing on the same side of a chalk line on the sidewalk as Sports Guy.

(I kid... I'm finding more and more that if I read your words carefully, we often agree...)