2nd Catcher Upgrade Needed

sportsfan8703

I think that the use of the word "priority" can be a bit misleading.  A back up catcher is not the most important thing and almost certainly won't be the most expensive thing Elias does in the off-season.  But, it could easily be the first thing he does.  Sometimes, you get the easy stuff out of the way.  So, if it is an early move, we don't need to panic and start making "print the playoff ticket" comments.

Just now, NCRaven said:

I think that the use of the word "priority" can be a bit misleading.  A back up catcher is not the most important thing and almost certainly won't be the most expensive thing Elias does in the off-season.  But, it could easily be the first thing he does.  Sometimes, you get the easy stuff out of the way.  So, if it is an early move, we don't need to panic and start making "print the playoff ticket" comments.

I don't think he makes a move at catcher until after the Rule V draft.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I won't be surprised if it's another Chirinos type.  You know, vetronosity, etc, someone to show Adley the ropes.  Even though Adley doesn't really need it, but whatever.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he makes a move at catcher until after the Rule V draft.

Quite possible.  I meant it more in a general sense.  GM makes a minor move early and everyone freaks out.  We'll pick up Joey Krehbel version 2.0 ear.y on and everyone will go crazy.

• Upvote 1

We were 8-8 in games Adley didn’t start once he came to the majors.   Chirinos is not a starting catcher and you saw that in the record and his stats.   If you can play .500 in games your backup starts you should have a good season.  We don’t need a great backup catcher we just need a serviceable one.  There is no point paying Contreras 15+ million to Play 40 games at catcher.  

I would take it a step further and say I'd like to see the O's go with 3 catchers. I'd love to see Adley catch ~100 games and DH for another 40. It keeps his bat in the lineup but doesn't kill his knees. 

But DH'ing Adley is always risky if you have 2 catchers because you lose the DH the other catcher is pinch hit/pinch run for - and you have no catchers if something happens to Adley. Adding a 3rd catcher gives Hyde flexibility to pinch hit/pinch run for the backup C - and it keeps Adley off the field to rest fully on his DH days.

My thought would be a bat-first C (who could also play 1B) that you could occasionally DH/1B, as well. And then a glove-first catcher, who can be a late inning replacement when games aren't close. 

With a 26-man roster and good positional flexibility on our roster, I think we have room for 3. 

5 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I would take it a step further and say I'd like to see the O's go with 3 catchers. I'd love to see Adley catch ~100 games and DH for another 40. It keeps his bat in the lineup but doesn't kill his knees. 

But DH'ing Adley is always risky if you have 2 catchers because you lose the DH the other catcher is pinch hit/pinch run for - and you have no catchers if something happens to Adley. Adding a 3rd catcher gives Hyde flexibility to pinch hit/pinch run for the backup C - and it keeps Adley off the field to rest fully on his DH days.

My thought would be a bat-first C (who could also play 1B) that you could occasionally DH/1B, as well. And then a glove-first catcher, who can be a late inning replacement when games aren't close. 

With a 26-man roster and good positional flexibility on our roster, I think we have room for 3. 

I'd rather lose the DH a couple times during the season than use up a roster spot on a third string catcher.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

The only way I'd be okay with that is if the 3rd catcher was someone who could catch in a pinch like Floyd Rayford or Steve Clevenger who's really there to DH/1B/pinch hit, but can catch if really needed.  As Can_of_corn says, I'd much rather lose the DH once in a while for half a game than carry some guy who's only there because he owns a catcher's mitt, and is taking up an otherwise useful roster spot.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The only way I'd be okay with that is if the 3rd catcher was someone who could catch in a pinch like Floyd Rayford or Steve Clevenger who's really there to DH/1B/pinch hit, but can catch if really needed.  As Can_of_corn says, I'd much rather lose the DH once in a while for half a game than carry some guy who's only there because he owns a catcher's mitt, and is taking up an otherwise useful roster spot.

Yeah, presumably the 3rd (bat first) catcher would have another role on the team with their bat.

A name that intrigues me is Daulton Varsho. Not sure if how we'd match up with ARI though.

5 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Nope.   Under SP and 2nd base help,  but this is 3rd IMO.  Between time off and DHing, Adley will miss enough time behind the plate to make this very important. 

Adley will catch 120ish games, give or take.

Adding everyday players and TOR guys is far far more important than any part time player for that many games.

• Upvote 1