Your best guess for the starting infield next April

RZNJ

Obviously, it's early in the offseason and lots can change.  It could go so many different ways.   I'm now thinking that Ortiz stays in the minors for another couple of months or gets traded.

I'm also thinking the Orioles will go with Henderson at 3B, Mateo at SS.   That leaves Ramon Urias, Terrin Vavra, and Jordan Westburg for the 2B job.    Tough call.   Again, they could go so many different ways here.   I'm guessing Urias gets moved and both Westburg and Vavra make the team with Westburg as the starting 2B and Vavra as a backup at 2B and LF.   The Orioles could easily get away without having a backup player who plays SS since both Henderson and Westburg can fill in over there.   Last but not least, I'm guessing Mountcastle comes back.

1B Mountcastle

2B Westburg

SS Mateo

3B Henderson

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If Ortiz makes one more list, he’ll be eligible for draft compensation. I’ll go out on a limb and say they go very young:

1b: Mountcastle 

2b: Westburg 

ss: Ortiz

3b: Henderson 

I'd love this!

But think we're looking at 1B - Mountcastle, 2B - Ortiz, SS - Mateo, 3B - Gunnar.

I think it's easier to justify sending Ortiz down for more time than Westburg (their minor league player of the year!) which is why I am now thinking what some others have already said, which is Ortiz starts next year in Norfolk.   He also doesn't have those 200 AB's (not that it's a thresshold that can't have exceptions).    It's hard for me to believe that both Urias and Mateo are starters next OD but it's certainly possible.   I do think Elias wants to see his guys (players he drafted and the organization developed) get in there and show more of what a good job he's done (assuming they perform).    I do not expect a complete turnover of the IF so a lot of it comes down to whether Gunnar is the SS or 3B.   If he's the SS, Mateo goes.   If he's the 3B, Urias might go or might move to 2B.   If Gunnar plays SS, I don't think Mateo is an Oriole next year.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think it's easier to justify sending Ortiz down for more time than Westburg (their minor league player of the year!) which is why I am now thinking what some others have already said, which is Ortiz starts next year in Norfolk.   He also doesn't have those 200 AB's (not that it's a thresshold that can't have exceptions).    It's hard for me to believe that both Urias and Mateo are starters next OD but it's certainly possible.   I do think Elias wants to see his guys (players he drafted and the organization developed) get in there and show more of what a good job he's done (assuming they perform).    I do not expect a complete turnover of the IF so a lot of it comes down to whether Gunnar is the SS or 3B.   If he's the SS, Mateo goes.   If he's the 3B, Urias might go or might move to 2B.   If Gunnar plays SS, I don't think Mateo is an Oriole next year.

Why does that seem so difficult for so many to grasp?

They were both worth over 3 WAR; they're above average regulars who make no money.  They're exactly the kind of players we want.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

1B Mountcastle

2B Urias

SS Mateo

3B Henderson

Not the starting infield I'd want, but I'll bet that's opening day. Maybe Vavra gets the nod over Urias, but I doubt it. I sort of doubt Westberg makes the OD roster

This is what I think top, and I'm okay with it if we add a bat to the OF or for DH

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Why does that seem so difficult for so many to grasp?

They were both worth over 3 WAR; they're above average regulars who make no money.  They're exactly the kind of players we want.

I think we've been over this.  Urias was a 3 WAR player at 3B mostly based on defense.   To assume he's going to be a 3 WAR player at 2B doesn't make sense to me.   Also, the Orioles didn't develop players like Ortiz and Westburg for nothing.   We need to find spots for those guys too.   If they can't be 3 WAR players or better than the system isn't as good as we think it is.

• Upvote 1