What 3 moves would you make this off season (that are realistic)?

DocJJ

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I definitely concur that they should trade away players who are underperforming and use them to acquire guys who'll be great in 2023 and beyond.

You may be on to something here. I would also consider convincing guys who'll be great in 2023 and beyond to sign with the O's for well below market value.

If we're talking a trade for a young, controlled, stud pitcher, a couple of things need to happen.

1. It needs to be with a team that is willing. The White Sox think they'll contend. They won't trade Cease, for example. It needs to be a rebuilding team, most likely.
2. We need a legit headliner. We're talking Cowser or Mayo most likely. I don't believe Mullins, Mountcastle et al are headliners.
3. It needs good depth pieces. Think Westburg, Norby, Kjerstad, etc. Stowers and above two guys too. We have depth for sure.
4. It will need to be a 4 or 5 for 1 trade and probably includes 1-2 arms like Rom, Armbruester, Bradish as part of the deal.

Are we willing to go there? IDK. I would. You need to overpay for pitching. Especially young, stud, cost controlled pitching. But you just have to trust that Elias can find that right guy.

Edited by LookinUp

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If we're talking a trade for a young, controlled, stud pitcher, a couple of things need to happen.

1. It needs to be with a team that is willing. The White Sox think they'll contend. They won't trade Cease, for example. It needs to be a rebuilding team, most likely.
2. We need a legit headliner. We're talking Cowser or Mayo most likely. I don't believe Mullins, Mountcastle et al are headliners.
3. It needs good depth pieces. Think Westburg, Norby, Kjerstad, etc. Stowers and above two guys too. We have depth for sure.
4. It will need to be a 4 or 5 for 1 trade and probably includes 1-2 arms like Rom, Armbruester, Bradish as part of the deal.

Are we willing to go there? IDK. I would. You need to overpay for pitching. Especially young, stud, cost controlled pitching. But you just have to trust that Elias can find that right guy.

Guess it depends on how you define stud pitcher.

13 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Yes I am hoping for a trade for front end starter.  I really want to hold onto Bradish because I think he can be at least a #3.  I have no problem including Voth, Wells or Kremer in the right deal.

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Gallo couldn't hit with the Yankees, he is a automatic out.

But the lack of shift could really help him.  He could be a value sign.  

Not saying they should do it but it’s something to look into if other deals fall through and he is really cheap.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

1. Trade Mullins and Westburg for Pabalo Lopez.  

2.  Sign Brandon Nimmo 4 years 44-48 million

3. Extend Adley and Gunnar like the Braves are doing with their young core.

1) that’s way too much for Lopez.  Mullins by himself is as or more valuable 

2) Nimmo will get more than that.

8 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

1. Trade Mullins and Westburg for Pabalo Lopez.  

2.  Sign Brandon Nimmo 4 years 44-48 million

3. Extend Adley and Gunnar like the Braves are doing with their young core.

The strategy is sound but not sure we need to include Westburg in the deal and the contract for Nimmo feels light.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) that’s way too much for Lopez.  Mullins by himself is as or more valuable 

2) Nimmo will get more than that.

I wanted to add a reliever for us as well but didn't see one that jumped out to me.  Maybe another minor league pitcher can be added coming back.  Westburg just doesn't seem to fit with all the infield prospects we have.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

I wanted to add a reliever for us as well but didn't see one that jumped out to me.  Maybe another minor league pitcher can be added coming back.  Westburg just doesn't seem to fit with all the infield prospects we have.

He definitely fits..it’s just a matter of if he is the one who should be dealt.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Guess it depends on how you define stud pitcher.

Sure, but my larger point is you don't get one of them for cheap. Maybe you do in a guy like Seth Johnson who's damaged goods, but if we're throwing huge names out like Cease, be ready to pony up a massive mint for him.

And it might be worth it. But we shouldn't be message board fools about it. It will take a lot to get a true ace.

The same is true with the price of Rodon in free agency. 

54 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Westburg, Ortiz, and Henderson, can play multiple positions.  Norby is probably the one who doesn’t fit.   All roads lead to Henderson.  The future homes of Urías, Mateo, Ortiz, and Westburg all depend on that decision.

• Upvote 1