"Moves that completely befuddle us" 2022-23 offseason edition

Tony-OH

38 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Label it gratitude, flattery, interest, respect or whatever, I guess maybe it is a sign Elias likes him to catch Rom, Povich and whatever other future Orioles Norfolk has next year.     I think for Elias its more, "this is the catcher who worked with our coaches and pitchers in 2022 and knows our jargon, etc".    Tony's right there's hundreds of other catchers with his talent, but he's the only one with his rolling 12-months of human relationships experience.

That might be the closest to a reasonable explanation for this move that I have heard.   Maybe it's not the talent level, but it's that he has been involved for a year in the pitching development system that we have in place.   Like when an NFL team picks up a guy on the waiver wire that might not be the most talented but he has worked with the OC or DC before and "knows the plays".

I don't know.   Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and I'm still not applauding the move.   But it makes more sense than any other explanation I've heard.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Label it gratitude, flattery, interest, respect or whatever, I guess maybe it is a sign Elias likes him to catch Rom, Povich and whatever other future Orioles Norfolk has next year.     I think for Elias its more, "this is the catcher who worked with our coaches and pitchers in 2022 and knows our jargon, etc".    Tony's right there's hundreds of other catchers with his talent, but he's the only one with his rolling 12-months of human relationships experience.

Makes a lot of sense. When some of the details came out about the contract, this seemed like a likely scenario. Bemboom wanted to know where he was going to be and that he was going to be appreciated/paid. The split contract makes sense. 

I do not see the issue obviously.  On one hand, I agree with Tony that the move makes no sense.  On the other, I agree with Frobby that because we don't know the reason, does not mean there isn't one.  I also fail to see anyone in this thread saying it's a good move or that this is an example of Elias' proving he is smarter than all of us.

It's a nothing move.  Getting a 40 man spot in Oct is likely nothing more than bookkeeping.  If he is on the 40 man roster when it is final, everyone will think it is a stupid move.  But no one thinks he is going to be on the 40 man roster when it is final.

Now, if the first FA contract is to Odor....well THEN, the genius of Elias will truly be exposed.

Until then, I remain equally puzzled.  I don't understand Elias' move or Tony's reaction.

Edited by foxfield

38 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Cave makes a lot more sense than Bemboom.

The O's have three guys on the major league roster that can play CF or LF at Camden.  Mullins, Hays and McKenna.  One of them goes down with an injury and the O's are short defensively in CF and LF.  

Cowser can play those positions but Elias is not bringing Cowser to the majors until Elias thinks he is ready.  And we have seen sometimes that takes a while.  Cave is a stop gap outfielder until Cowser is ready.

Santander and Stowers do not have the range to play LF and CF.    Vavra has some range but probably not as much as Cave.  Diaz probably does not make the off season 40 man roster.

Cave has an option left so he can bounce back and forward between AAA and the Majors.  Now he has signed a contract to Elias liking that pays him a lower rate in the minors and probably close to the minimum in the majors.

Cave kills AAA pitching so while he  is in Norfolk he helps offense.  He adds to Cowser, Ortiz and Norby who all probably begin the season at AAA.

JMO

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Where does it say its a minor league contract?

It says split contract in the second sentence, the same term we saw used for Bemboom. My assumption is that is effectively a minor league contract with an option to turn it into a major league contract. Is that wrong? 

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It says split contract in the second sentence, the same term we saw used for Bemboom. My assumption is that is effectively a minor league contract with an option to turn it into a major league contract. Is that wrong? 

I don't know.  It could be a major league contract with an agreed upon salary if he is optioned to the minors.  The article does not say enough to know.

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Cave makes a lot more sense than Bemboom.

The O's have three guys on the major league roster that can play CF or LF at Camden.  Mullins, Hays and McKenna.  One of them goes down with an injury and the O's are short defensively in CF and LF.  

Cowser can play those positions but Elias is not bringing Cowser to the majors until Elias thinks he is ready.  And we have seen sometimes that takes a while.  Cave is a stop gap outfielder until Cowser is ready.

Santander and Stowers do not have the range to play LF and CF.    Vavra has some range but probably not as much as Cave.  Diaz probably does not make the off season 40 man roster.

Cave has an option left so he can bounce back and forward between AAA and the Majors.  Now he has signed a contract to Elias liking that pays him a lower rate in the minors and probably close to the minimum in the majors.

Cave kills AAA pitching so while he  is in Norfolk he helps offense.  He adds to Cowser, Ortiz and Norby who all probably begin the season at AAA.

JMO

Santander or Stowers could play left.  Maybe not at a Trey Mancini level lol but probably enough that I don’t need a Cave backup for that reason alone.  CF ok.. some depth and I don’t mind the signing at all. 

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

You can definitely do worse for a depth OF. He has an option and can (allegedly) play CF, and he put up pretty solid offensive numbers in his first 2 seasons in MIN (.262/.329/.466 over 163 games) so maybe they want to tinker with him a little at Norfolk for the first month or two and see if that guy is still in there. If not, NBD.

53 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Santander or Stowers could play left

In Camden Canyon, where you almost need a second CF to not let fairly routine flyballs turn into doubles? I'd rather not if it can be avoided.