Is Joc Pederson a good fit for 2023?

Jim'sKid26

At the request of my colleague btdart20....

Joc Pederson would made a very solid off season target for the DH position.

Elias should consider Joc Pederson as a primary DH, part time OF. He's a FA, He made $6M last year and put up .274/.353/.521 with 23 HRs and 19 2Bs in 380 ABs for the Giants.

He'll play 2023 as a 31 year Old.  Why not give him 2/20 with an incentive laden option for a 3rd year. See if he can hit the Warehouse.

I don't think he's a guy you want in the OF much as his value is significantly depressed by his defense, but as a primary DH who gets 450-500 ABs he's a guy to consider.

Re-signing Joc Pederson makes sense for Giants — but only under certain conditions - The Athletic

• Upvote 1

Pederson hasn’t exactly been a model of consistency in recent years.   He was only worth 1.3 rWAR despite solid offensive numbers last year.   The two years before that, he had an OPS+ under 100 and was worth -0.1 and -0.3 rWAR.  I’d rather just roll with our young guys.  

LHH strong-side platoon type.  .242/.343/.497 career triple slash vs. RHP.  In 2022, it was .278/.356/.538.  He hit 23 HR on the year, but Savant has his expected HR at OPACY at 29.  We can do worse than a .890 OPS guy who carries a $6-7m price tag as a DH.  

His fantasy football struggles with Tommy Pham aside, Pederson is a unique bird.   

Does Joc Pederson looks like a high school drug dealer? : r/DanLeBatardShow

How Joc Pederson's pearls became signature look for the slugger, Braves  fans – WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta

Analyzing the 2022 All-Star Red Carpet Outfits - Lookout Landing

• Upvote 1

Pederson looks like a player that wants to play on the West Coast.   Born in Palo Alto. Drafted by the Dodgers.   Tried the Cubs in free agents but after being traded to the WS Braves went back to SF.   

I think its questionable if he would sign with the O's even if they overpaid.

Edited by wildcard

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pederson looks like a player that wants to play on the West Coast.   Born in Palo Alto. Drafted by the Dodgers.   Tried the Cubs in free agents but after being traded to the WS Braves went back to SF.   

I think its questionable if he would sign with the O's even if they overpaid.

He has gone on record as saying he signed with SF because they won over 100 games in 2021. He stated clearly that he wants to win. O's look ready to take the next step. He might be interested regardless of the East Coast location.

I was surprised looking them up to see he got about 15% of his PA vs. LHP the last couple years.    The COVID year I think the Dodgers did some kind of seasonal trick where he had like 4 PA v. lefties all year long.

Anyhow, if we are going to utterly ruin Kyle Stowers' winter, and make sure Colton Cowser knows he should hit the books hard on who those 2023 AAA pitchers will be, another lefty bat whom I'd wish Baltimore's improved brand might attract is Michael Conforto.

In his case I'd at least feel like there is upside beyond the Pederson-Brantley (or Mancini if you de-emphasize the lefty thing) level player.

A byproduct of how talent has been amassed is that its easy to find current Orioles one might reasonably like to take pretty much all 6000 plate appearances.

Edited by Just Regular

Here's a stab at 6050 PA using Oriole incumbents except backup catcher.

I was surprised doing the proration that after joining the Club at about the 40 game mark, Adley nonetheless got 470 PA.      With ~33% more 2023 games, that does go past 600.    It doesn't feel likely, but for funsies I'll throw him 600 here.    I'd like to see him hit 600 times!!    2022 Will Smith got 578, 2022 Realmuto got 562, 2021 Sal Perez got 665.

9 Starters

Adley 600, RMC 600, Westburg 450, Mateo 500, Gunnar 650, Hays 600, Mullins 650, Cowser 450, Santander 650

5 Reserves (figure backup IF and OF toggle some as year progresses)

Urias 250, Stowers 225, Vavra 175, "Backup Catcher" 150, McKenna 100

That still leaves the likes of Joey Ortiz, Connor Norby and Coby Mayo (come cup of coffee time if desired 40-man wise) on zeros.    Obviously more Bats injuries are likely, but Urias and Stowers feel well qualified for twice a week roles.

Edited by Just Regular