Tempo

Just Regular

Looks like the league median is around 18.1.  On the Orioles, 8 of 14 were above that, with Cionel Perez the laggard at 22.5.   No surprise that Akin was the fastest at 14.4.   

It’s going to be really interesting to see who’s bothered by having to quicken the pace. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Looks like the league median is around 18.1.  On the Orioles, 8 of 14 were above that, with Cionel Perez the laggard at 22.5.   No surprise that Akin was the fastest at 14.4.   

It’s going to be really interesting to see who’s bothered by having to quicken the pace. 

It will be even more interesting to see if any of the slow guys actually do better if pressured to think less and throw more. I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It will be even more interesting to see if any of the slow guys actually do better if pressured to think less and throw more. I wouldn't be surprised either way. 

Seeing Burnes near the bottom activated some confirmation bias for me.    What Stearns' team was able to curate out of their Arms as the "NL Rays" the last several years has been brilliant.    Burnes days between turns were high, this table showed last year at least his seconds between pitches were too.      Pitchers control the action, the more they can refresh between each pitch and turn in the aggregate, the nastier they can be, whether it is 75-pitch chunks or 15-pitch chunks.

To stretch for funsies, on pedigree alone guys like Burnes and Woodruff are Kyle Bradish.      Freddy Peralta can suppress BABIP to the mid .100's, but only for about 100 innings a year...we'll find a way to make that work.

Milwaukee has a little more $$$ to hold the stars they've made than Tampa, as I believe Baltimore should as well as the team evolves.

It makes how a modern organization deploys a talent like Grayson Rodriguez across his 6.00 - 6.xx years of Club control such an interesting case to watch unfold.     I don't know if the results will be as good, but no question in my mind his baseball gods Nuke LaLoosh blessings are beyond Corbin Burnes', Spencer Strider's, etc.     And he's been training in a pitch clock climate since high school.

I am sure the elite Old Dogs because of who they are will use the offseason well to prepare, but there will be some getting your grandparent to text to it.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Curious to see how long MLB enforces this rule.  I'm sure everyone will be on their best behavior for the first few months, then we'll see if it's still a thing after the ASB.

It seems like it will be very difficult to enforce during the post-season. Honestly, they shouldn't have a pitch clock in the postseason, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

It seems like it will be very difficult to enforce during the post-season. Honestly, they shouldn't have a pitch clock in the postseason, in my opinion.

Why would it be hard to enforce during the post-season?

Just enforce it.

The rules of play shouldn't be different during the playoffs.

Why not change the ball while you are at it?

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just enforce it.

They already are different for the post season.   No runner on base to start extra innings.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The purpose of the rule is to make the sport more entertaining to the fan. I think there is a good argument that the playoffs benefit from the drama. And who wants to see Game 7 of the WS decided by a bases loaded walk due to a clock violation. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The purpose of the rule is to make the sport more entertaining to the fan. I think there is a good argument that the playoffs benefit from the drama. And who wants to see Game 7 of the WS decided by a bases loaded walk due to a clock violation. 

Yea, the drama of a pitcher circling the mound and a hitter adjusting himself.

Is he going to move his junk to the left or to the right?  Oh the drama.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just enforce it.

It's not going to be hard.  In the minors it appears that everyone loves it.  Sure, there will be a brief period where some pitchers are mad that they can't take two minutes between pitches and automatic balls are called.  But that will pass and then it will just be baseball.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Then just pitch. The drama in 45 seconds between pitches is exactly the drama you get when there are 14 time outs in the last three minutes of a basketball game.  It basically ruins the whole thing.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I do not think the playoffs benefit from games taking 4 hours to play.  I don’t watch them, for that very reason. 

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I hate them messing with this. I think the bigger time problem are throws to first. But, monkeying with that process will take away from the game imo.