Elias sounds like he is shooting high

wildcard

From Roch:

“I’ve heard from some industry folks that the Orioles are talking to the representatives for multiple free agent pitchers and are setting up meetings between the players, Elias and manager Brandon Hyde, whose inclusion is significant. Part of selling a pitcher on Baltimore is introducing him to the guy who quickly won over the clubhouse after his hiring.

“The Orioles aren’t expected to be serious bidders for the most expensive pitchers on the market, though it doesn’t hurt to open the lines of communication and perhaps float an offer. There are plenty on the second tier who could slot somewhere among the top three starters in the rotation.”

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch:

“I’ve heard from some industry folks that the Orioles are talking to the representatives for multiple free agent pitchers and are setting up meetings between the players, Elias and manager Brandon Hyde, whose inclusion is significant. Part of selling a pitcher on Baltimore is introducing him to the guy who quickly won over the clubhouse after his hiring.

“The Orioles aren’t expected to be serious bidders for the most expensive pitchers on the market, though it doesn’t hurt to open the lines of communication and perhaps float an offer. There are plenty on the second tier who could slot somewhere among the top three starters in the rotation.”

Good ole Roch. Always making sure fans don’t expect much from the team. 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From Roch:

Eh, could be a smoke screen. I still would love Rodon but there are guys we could pluck that won’t cost us a draft pick.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Just Regular said:

Just saw this.   Bet part of return is bringing Jesse Winker home to Buffalo-Toronto metro area where he can watch pitches like Craig Biggio and help them with L/R balance.

Kind of a fun challenge trade to the extent Julio and Vlad's teams got a little rowdy with each other last month.

I was thinking the same thing, but it looks like Winker is staying put for now.  I am guessing Hernandez is a Haniger replacement. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that people think/thought the Os would be in the running for expensive, long term pitching contracts is hilarious.

I didn't expect it but I thought it was possible they might take a run at Verlander or Rodon and Elias did mention a #1-#3 pitcher which certainly implied that a #1 was possible.

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

From Roch:

Sounds like "legitimate but ultimately minor upgrade from Lyles" should be the upper limit of fans' expectations going forward, which probably should have been the expectation from the start honestly.

12 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Sounds like "legitimate but ultimately minor upgrade from Lyles" should be the upper limit of fans' expectations going forward, which probably should have been the expectation from the start honestly.

When he makes remarks like this, I never know whether Roch is reporting something he’s hearing, or just reflecting his own, typically unambitious expectations for the team.