“Orioles big game shopping & most believe it's exclusively rotation”

Roll Tide

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You including their cut of the luxury tax penalties?

Money goes to other stuff with the remaining split up

The 2022-26 collective bargaining agreement not only saw the tax thresholds increase by a relatively significant margin — it also implemented a newly created fourth tier of penalization. For a reminder, the new thresholds are as follows:

Tier One: $230-250MM (teams pay a 20% overage)

Tier Two: $250-270MM (32%)

Tier Three: $270-290MM (62.5% for first-time payors; 65% thereafter)

Tier Four: $290MM+ (80%)

For second-time payors (i.e. Dodgers, Padres), those rates jump to 30%, 42%, 75% and 90%, respectively.

All told, the six teams in question will pay a combined total of about $73MM in luxury fees, with the Mets and Dodgers accounting for the vast majority of that sum. The luxury tax will hit the Mets the hardest both in terms of actual dollars paid and in terms of return for recipients of the qualifying offer. Both the Padres and Dodgers were content to pay the tax in consecutive seasons, and given the extent by which the Mets exceeded the threshold this year, that’ll likely be the case for them in 2023 as well. Time will tell whether San Diego and Los Angeles are willing to incur an even steeper set of tax penalties as a third-time offender, and it’s certainly plausible that any of the Red Sox, Yankees and/or Phillies could look to dip back under the first tier of penalization next season, when the first-tier threshold increases to $233MM.

Of the remaining sum, 50% of the remaining proceeds collected for each Contract Year, with accrued interest, will be used to fund player compensation as described in the MLB Players Benefits Plan Agreements and the other 50% shall be distributed to clubs that did not exceed the Base Tax Threshold in that Contract Year.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/competitive-balance-tax

So 30 teams ….6 over …. Contribution to retirement stuff etc. so each team gets somewhere around 68 million divided by 24.  Approximately $3 million or 1/3 of Gibson’s salary 😉

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Not quite what he said:  “Look, in the division we’re in and the teams that were at the top of the division this year, where we came from last year, I think it’s really hard to sit there and chart a course and say, ‘We’re likely to win the division.’”

I was paraphrasing, but it's still not what you want to hear the guy in charge of personnel moves saying in late Nov./early Dec.

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Money goes to other stuff with the remaining split up

So 30 teams ….6 over …. Contribution to retirement stuff etc. so each team gets somewhere around 68 million divided by 24.  Approximately $3 million or 1/3 of Gibson’s salary 😉

So hopefully the Mets keep spending?

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I was paraphrasing, but it's still not what you want to hear the guy in charge of personnel moves saying in late Nov./early Dec.

I mean… it’s a true statement.  Obviously it’s way too early and there are tons of assumptions built in but if you look at projections of team WAR for next year, it’s going to be really difficult to keep up with the Yankees, Rays and Jays.   Maybe the best move strategically given the intensity of the FA market this year is to stand pat, explore the trade market, and get a better sense for the capabilities of the current roster / close to MLB ready talent.  I’m certainly willing to extend Elias the benefit of the doubt.

However my expectations for this off-season were very different from how it has played out so far. 

3 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

I mean… it’s a true statement.  Obviously it’s way too early and there are tons of assumptions built in but if you look at projections of team WAR for next year, it’s going to be really difficult to keep up with the Yankees, Rays and Jays.   Maybe the best move strategically given the intensity of the FA market this year is to stand pat, explore the trade market, and get a better sense for the capabilities of the current roster / close to MLB ready talent.  I’m certainly willing to extend Elias the benefit of the doubt.

However my expectations for this off-season were very different from how it has played out so far. 

The thing is, he has some control over that. He could have (in theory, providing ownership was willing to increase payroll in any meaningful way) made additions that, combined with the young talent we already have, made it at least a plausible goal, if not necessarily a realistic one.

But coming right out and basically saying that it's not realistic is pretty wild.

10 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Don't really want Thor, but here's an update from Heyman.  I would think the O's are one of the four. 

I'm always in favor of a reclamation project.  A bit more interesting when there's at least some potential upside to watch for (in comparison with, e.g. a Lyles type).  

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Don't really want Thor, but here's an update from Heyman.  I would think the O's are one of the four. 

I would have absolutely LOVED to get Syndergaard...

...as the Gibson-tier signing below a better starter like Bassitt or Walker.

But hey, I'll still take him over the Pineda/Miley/Davies/Archer-tier guy I currently expect as the second outside SP for next year.

• Upvote 1

Saw this link on r/Orioles.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-2005-01-26-0501260283-story.html

"The [Orioles'] offers, I thought, certainly were generous, and some might think beyond what they should have been," Angelos said. "They're trying to improve the club and demonstrate to fans that we're doing everything we can to make the club competitive with Boston and New York, and we're heading in that direction.

"But the market needs to be reassessed. The more millions that are squandered, the more fans will have to pay through increased ticket prices and concessions. Major League Baseball has to come to grips with the crisis it's in.

"These salaries are beyond what 90 percent of the teams are able to pay. It's a problem that has to be dealt with in the future."

By 4 p.m. yesterday, when team officials still hadn't heard from Sloane, it became apparent that Delgado was headed elsewhere. The news broke a short time later, leaving the Orioles without a player who favored them so much that Sloane contacted them first when the free-agent market opened.

"You can say I'm disappointed," Angelos said, "but on the other hand, I'm pleased that we're not party to this financial insanity that has taken hold of the game."