Bowden lists Orioles potential FA and trade targets

Frobby

I’ve warmed to the idea of Benintendi in LF. Move Hays to RF, Santander at DH and that’s a good outfield defense. 
Brantley would be good too but then you’ve got to depend on Santander in RF which isn’t ideal, but not a deal breaker. 
I don’t see much value in going after other mid level position players really. I know the offense could use a boost but if they’re not shopping at the top of the list (they’re not) then is it really even an upgrade over what they’ve got?

Of course, Correa would be cool too. Mateo would be a really good option at 2B IMO. But I have absolutely no confidence in that happening.

SP is harder to predict. I really think a couple of above average lefties would be a good approach. Means is a good ways off and Hall is far from a guarantee. That leaves the rest of the rotation options from the right side. Do I expect them to land Rodon? Absolutely not. Do I really want to give Quintana a big contract after having an outlier year?  Also absolutely not. So, that’s not an easy spot to fill. I’m sure we’ll see a mid tier guy like Taillon or Walker signed. Plus, for as much as I’ve heard Hyde rave about Lyles, I think we may see him back.

40 minutes ago, oriole said:

I’ve warmed to the idea of Benintendi in LF. Move Hays to RF, Santander at DH and that’s a good outfield defense. 
Brantley would be good too but then you’ve got to depend on Santander in RF which isn’t ideal, but not a deal breaker. 
I don’t see much value in going after other mid level position players really. I know the offense could use a boost but if they’re not shopping at the top of the list (they’re not) then is it really even an upgrade over what they’ve got?

Of course, Correa would be cool too. Mateo would be a really good option at 2B IMO. But I have absolutely no confidence in that happening.

SP is harder to predict. I really think a couple of above average lefties would be a good approach. Means is a good ways off and Hall is far from a guarantee. That leaves the rest of the rotation options from the right side. Do I expect them to land Rodon? Absolutely not. Do I really want to give Quintana a big contract after having an outlier year?  Also absolutely not. So, that’s not an easy spot to fill. I’m sure we’ll see a mid tier guy like Taillon or Walker signed. Plus, for as much as I’ve heard Hyde rave about Lyles, I think we may see him back.

I am all about Carlos Rodon and andrew Benintendi. Could then concentrate on smaller trades to bolster the bullpen. 

18 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

I wrote an article about Bell for FanSided a few weeks ago.  I think he'll get more than he's worth (projects are four years 60-64M).  He is very streaky and not a great defender.  You might get an 800+ OPS from him, but I just don't think that's worthwhile for four years when others can be had cheaper (Winker perhaps). 

The more I've thought about it, I don't think signing Bell to a 4 year deal or Abreu to a 3 year deal is a good idea.  It's a lot of money to lock up players who will probably decline.  I would much rather resign Mancini or say Brantley for a year and see where we're at in a year.  Bell/Abreu will probably be better in 2023, but aren't worth reducing future payroll flexibility.

Wasn’t Bowden caught skimming from international drafts? That’s what I heard, not sure if true. I’m not sure we should take failed GMs’ opinions on what current ones may do anymore than a passing thought. That being said, man am I starved for some Orioles content lol.

1 hour ago, Explosivo said:

Wasn’t Bowden caught skimming from international drafts? That’s what I heard, not sure if true. I’m not sure we should take failed GMs’ opinions on what current ones may do anymore than a passing thought. That being said, man am I starved for some Orioles content lol.

He had some dealings with buscones that were questionable.  And, was a pretty mediocre GM IMO.  I’m still semi-interested in who he thinks the targets are but I don’t put too much stock in his opinions.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The more I've thought about it, I don't think signing Bell to a 4 year deal or Abreu to a 3 year deal is a good idea.  It's a lot of money to lock up players who will probably decline.  I would much rather resign Mancini or say Brantley for a year and see where we're at in a year.  Bell/Abreu will probably be better in 2023, but aren't worth reducing future payroll flexibility.

Astros apparently think otherwise on abreu. Odd that they think he will be good for three more years. Seems like a stretch but they know way more than I.

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would happily take Brantley for a year provided he's healthy. He's 2-days younger than me so he can't be that old...right?...right?...

I don't understand the second tier thing.  If you want to be a first tier team, you need to chase first tier players.  Did the Orioles really spend 4 years rebuilding their farm system, establishing an international presence and clear room on their payroll to be a second tier team?