“Orioles will significantly escalate payroll in the offseason “

Roll Tide

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

This is what’s in Mewleski’s piece

Doesn’t sound like a guy that’s being hindered or being given very little to work with.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/will-o-s-rumor-mill-heat-up-with-arrival-of-winter-meetings

Elias has said that we are not going to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in a single offseason and I see no reason to think that he was lying, but if you want to dream on a 150-200% payroll increase for next year, that is your right. I simply prefer to be more realistic.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Elias has said that we are not going to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in a single offseason and I see no reason to think that he was lying, but if you want to dream on a 150-200% payroll increase for next year, that is your right. I simply prefer to be more realistic.

O to 60 ….says to the salary tax threshold. Bottom of the barrel signings would be adding $40 million. I’m thinking somewhere in between. But, carry on with your voice of reason spiel.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Bottom of the barrel signings would be adding $40 million.

If you're expecting even 40 million over and above arbitration/extension... I think he (Elias) has already telegraphed that this isn't likely... but he did so in a fashion that was vague enough to have people interpret his words hopefully (i.e. bigger spending on FA's)... 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

O to 60 ….says to the salary tax threshold. Bottom of the barrel signings would be adding $40 million. I’m thinking somewhere in between. But, carry on with your voice of reason spiel.

He did not say anything about the luxury tax threshold and I strongly doubt that will ever have any effect on the Orioles spending habits. We have never come within even $50 million of it. 

42 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

What does the Orioles’ version of 60 mph look like?   I figure that’s $150-175 mm.  I don’t expect them to get there in one offseason.  

Edited by Frobby

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Coupled with his other remarks tempering fan expectations, I took it as "you should not expect a massive spending spree."

Well, yes.  But what’s a “significant” increase in payroll?  I don’t think $15-20 mm is that, when the team is at the bottom of the payroll ladder already.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Well, yes.  But what’s a “significant” increase in payroll?  I don’t think $15-20 mm is that, when the team is at the bottom of the payroll ladder already.  

I am not sure exactly what Elias has to work with but I certainly don't think a 150-200% jump is a realistic expectation like Roll Tide seems to believe.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well he did say "a lot" of the "significant" increase will come from internal increases which seem to be in the $15-20 M range. So if "a lot" is $20 M then I would be stunned if JA authorizes more than an additional $30-$40 M in payroll. As for the $30 M Disney bonus, that's in the family coffers to deal with MASN, Louis, real estate rentals and occupancy shortfalls, etc.

36 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I am not sure exactly what Elias has to work with but I certainly don't think a 150-200% jump is a realistic expectation like Roll Tide seems to believe.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If they go $20 mil. that would be less then if they kept Mancini,Lyles  and Lopez. So basically would be a payroll increase for arbitration only.

Edited by Going Underground
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He did not say anything about the luxury tax threshold and I strongly doubt that will ever have any effect on the Orioles spending habits. We have never come within even $50 million of it. 

NFQ…..he said 0-60…..you have no idea exactly what that means. So quit acting like you do.  Everytime I give you something else that was said you automatically interpret it like you know. He said he has support and resources to do what he wants. I’m sure he doesn’t think half measures will work. I think it’s reasonable to expect 1 key addition and a couple of second-third tier guys. If you don’t that’s fine. But, does 60 mean spend up to the threshold or adding 40 million. I guess we will have to wait and see. If he picks up 3 bargain bin guys I’ll draw the conclusion that he’s full of shite. 

Edited by Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

NFQ…..he said 0-60…..you have no idea exactly what that means. So quit acting like you do.  Everytime I give you something else that was said you automatically interpret it like you know. He said he has support and resources to do what he wants. I’m sure he doesn’t think half measures will work. I think it’s reasonable to expect 1 key addition and a couple of second-third tier guys. If you don’t that’s fine. But, does 60 mean spend up to the threshold or adding 40 million. I guess we will have to wait and see. If he picks up 3 bargain bin guys I’ll draw the conclusion that he’s full of shite. 

We are apparently shopping in the Kyle Gibson aisle this offseason. I don't know what else to tell you.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What does the Orioles’ version of 60 mph look like?   I figure that’s $150-175 mm.  I don’t expect them to get there in one offseason.  

51 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

If they go $20 mil. that would be less then if they kept Mancini,Lyles  and Lopez. So basically would be a payroll increase for arbitration only.

Thank you!  Have know idea exactly what Elias will spend. But, it appears good players are going to command $18-$30+ million. He said a pitcher and 2 bats. He’s has to have been thinking 60 million plus. He’s a smart guy, I’m sure he knew the market would be up with all of the additional money out there. The free agent market almost always goes north.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We are apparently shopping in the Kyle Gibson aisle this offseason. I don't know what else to tell you.

That’s just it …you have no idea. I’m done …but I’m sure you will find the need to get in a last word. I’ll reward you for it when you do!