“Orioles will significantly escalate payroll in the offseason “

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Rodon bumps the payroll $35 million if they indeed sign him. I’m pretty sure Heyman is a good source. 

Heyman is a Boras mouth piece and a joke. He literally speculates about who is in on Rodon in the exact same sentence where he claims we are in on Rodon.

Zero chance we are actually in on Rodon (thankfully).

17 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Heyman is a Boras mouth piece and a joke. He literally speculates about who is in on Rodon in the exact same sentence where he claims we are in on Rodon.

Zero chance we are actually in on Rodon (thankfully).

One second.  You have no interest in Rodon?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

What does the Orioles’ version of 60 mph look like?   I figure that’s $150-175 mm.  I don’t expect them to get there in one offseason.  

HAHAHA I was reading through this thread knowing I would find something like this, didn't think it would be from you. The fact you actually believe this lends credence to my Stockholm syndrome theory with any remaining fans. The Orioles have spent 218m in the last 4 SEASONS. Oh I know they are rebuilding just piling up all that money in the coffers waiting to spend it! 

These are the new Orioles. The Tampa Orioles. The Pittsburgh Orioles. The Oakland Orioles. You literally just claimed that you think the "number" is something that puts them in the top 6-8 spending teams in the league. Do you know how absolutely ridiculous that sounds? How one could think that you do indeed have some sort of delusion about where this city is, where this team and ownership is.....?? It is almost incomprehensible to think of a scenario where they are spending 175m. Maybe in 2050 when the average is 250m. Yeah they will get there..."slowly".  It takes time guys just be patient!!

I bet you think that Rutschman isn't going to be playing for someone else in a few years too right? Just like Machado? That "homegrown talent" that they will SURELY pay when the time is right. Remember how many years we heard that from certain people around here? What planet are you living on? It saddens me to see this false hope for something that is never happening, probably ever again. The message has been sent time after time how ownership views this team, as a pure small market (who has control of the 4th largest combined RSN in MLB)  that will not spend on much of anything. What they do spend is just to pacify the few remaining fans who haven't seen them for what they have always been. I guess you just don't want to hear it. 

All the arguments, all the rationalization, all the excuses, all the "this is part of the plan" walked right out the door with Machado. You know it, I know it and anyone who has been following this team forever knows it. All your arguments about them spending when they need to, when they develop home grown talent were proven to be (another) lie. And it has been straight downhill ever since. Yeah 2022 was great they caught lightning in a bottle but they will never do anything payroll wise to get much past that point. Until ownership changes. Maybe. To talk about it like they are on a path to 175m right now when there has not been one shred of evidence to support that (and could be argued we have seen the opposite), I just can't get my head around. I mean with all the money they have been padding their bank accounts with recently they SHOULD be spending that right now, but "it's coming" has been a tired refrain. One that I am sure will continue for years to come. 

11 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

HAHAHA I was reading through this thread knowing I would find something like this, didn't think it would be from you. The fact you actually believe this lends credence to my Stockholm syndrome theory with any remaining fans. The Orioles have spent 218m in the last 4 SEASONS. Oh I know they are rebuilding just piling up all that money in the coffers waiting to spend it! 

These are the new Orioles. The Tampa Orioles. The Pittsburgh Orioles. The Oakland Orioles. You literally just claimed that you think the "number" is something that puts them in the top 6-8 spending teams in the league. Do you know how absolutely ridiculous that sounds? How one could think that you do indeed have some sort of delusion about where this city is, where this team and ownership is.....?? It is almost incomprehensible to think of a scenario where they are spending 175m. Maybe in 2050 when the average is 250m. Yeah they will get there..."slowly".  It takes time guys just be patient!!

I bet you think that Rutschman isn't going to be playing for someone else in a few years too right? Just like Machado? That "homegrown talent" that they will SURELY pay when the time is right. Remember how many years we heard that from certain people around here? What planet are you living on? It saddens me to see this false hope for something that is never happening, probably ever again. The message has been sent time after time how ownership views this team, as a pure small market (who has control of the 4th largest combined RSN in MLB)  that will not spend on much of anything. What they do spend is just to pacify the few remaining fans who haven't seen them for what they have always been. I guess you just don't want to hear it. 

All the arguments, all the rationalization, all the excuses, all the "this is part of the plan" walked right out the door with Machado. You know it, I know it and anyone who has been following this team forever knows it. All your arguments about them spending when they need to, when they develop home grown talent were proven to be (another) lie. And it has been straight downhill ever since. Yeah 2022 was great they caught lightning in a bottle but they will never do anything payroll wise to get much past that point. Until ownership changes. Maybe. To talk about it like they are on a path to 175m right now when there has not been one shred of evidence to support that (and could be argued we have seen the opposite), I just can't get my head around. I mean with all the money they have been padding their bank accounts with recently they SHOULD be spending that right now, but "it's coming" has been a tired refrain. One that I am sure will continue for years to come. 

This is such a rant that I can’t even be sure of what you’re trying to say.  Are you saying that the O’s who spent $152 mm in 2016 and $161 mm in 2017, will never spend that much ever again?  Or are you saying that $150-175 mm isn’t enough and we should be expecting them to spend more than that?   Or is there some other point you’re making?

Whatever it is, here’s what I expect will happen:

1.  I do expect the O’s to spend $150-175 mm/yr at peak, once they have been contenders for a couple of years and some of their key players start to get expensive.  

2.  I don’t expect them to get there right away.  Anyone who pays attention to how rebuilds have been done by the Astros, Cubs, etc. knows that the spending doesn’t increase in one big gulp, it takes a few years to build up.  You could say the same thing about the O’s in 2012-17.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

On a 3 year deal, sure.

On the 5-7 year deal he will actually get, nope.

How can you complain about upgrading the staff and then be against signing one of the biggest difference makers on the market?

Money where your mouth is.  Who do you want?  How many years and how much money are you willing to go to get that guy?

I do expect the O’s to spend $150-175 mm/yr at peak, once they have been contenders for a couple of years and some of their key players start to get expensive.  

Wasn't it speculated that the O's actually lost money when the payroll was $150-160+ M? That would be with attendance around 2.3 M vs the roughly 1.9+M of today. Prices are up but so are expenses likely. I don't see them breaking $150M anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I do expect the O’s to spend $150-175 mm/yr at peak, once they have been contenders for a couple of years and some of their key players start to get expensive.  

Wasn't it speculated that the O's actually lost money when the payroll was $150-160+ M? That would be with attendance around 2.3 M vs the roughly 1.9+M of today. Prices are up but so are expenses likely. I don't see them breaking $150M anytime soon.

Well, we are all guessing.  The O’s reported a very small loss in 1-2 of those years, according to the Forbes numbers.   Attendance will take a while to build back up, but I’m assuming that they’ll get close to the 2012-16 numbers, and maybe exceed them, if they contend a few years in a row.   And, the new national TV contracts will result in a bigger slug of MLB revenue in the future.  

Honestly, I’ll worry about that in a couple of years.   We’re not getting to $150 mm now, for sure.