2022-23 free agent signings tracker

Frobby

On 12/3/2022 at 9:24 AM, Frobby said:

No, but he’ll get a higher AAV.   I think the Scherzer deal is his bogey.

This was pretty prescient - I heard it's a $43.3 million AAV for each of them now, making Verlander's actual contract $86.6 million for the 2 years, and heard speculation that this was how it was requested, as well.  "Give me what Scherzer has." 

Speculation, but seems reasonable in order to try keeping the peace, given their reported history in Detroit. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:38 AM, Frobby said:

They won’t care at the time they win the WS.  And it’s definitely possible they will say it was all worth it, even if they suck in 3-4 years.  (By the way, I’m not saying they will suck, just hypothesizing.)

It’s very interesting watching all this from the Washington DC suburbs.  The Nats were an excellent team from 2012-19 and got their WS ring.  Now they’re paying the price and you wouldn’t believe the amount of “woe is me” going on among their fan base and their press corps. They spent a ton of money, got some great early results from some of their long term deals (including nearly miraculous performance from Scherzer) and got their ring.  Their fans seem to have forgotten that already.  Their contract with Corbin, which yielded decent results in the first year (which was the WS year) has turned into an utter fiasco.  Their renegotiated deal with Strasburg (who had an opt-out after the WS year) is an even bigger fiasco.   They clearly had more holes than they could patch and so they traded Scherzer (now making $43 mm/yr with the rival Mets) and Turner (now making $27 mm/yr with the rival Phillies).   Soto saw the handwriting on the wall and forced his way out of town. And now the Nats are where the O’s were in 2018, more or less.  You should hear the fans bitching about it.  World Series?  What World Series?

The difference between the Nationals now and the Orioles 2018 is that they got legitimate prospects for Turner and Soto: Gray, Ruiz, Abrams, Gore, Hassell, Wood, Susana, Carrilllo.  They recognized the need for a rebuild much quicker.