Connolly: Don’t see the Os going beyond 2-3 years

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And what do you think Elias would say?  Do you think he would give him a straight answer? He will probably say something like, we would never rule anything out and all options are on the table, blah blah blah.

Same thing you would probably hear from Houston even though they don’t do it either and has established that pattern for closing in on a decade.

You have to ask the question. Hey Mike, the market seems pretty high.  Degrom got 5 years instead of 3.   Taillon and Walker got 4 years.   Were you expecting this?   Are you willing to compete for these mid tier pitchers now that you see where the market is?

You might get GM speak but it’s the reporters job to ask the question anyway.   

My guess is the Elias would not go more than 3 years on any free agent this off season but Rodon.   They might go 5 plus a team option on him.   But all GMs know who they are dealing with here.   Boras would love any team to bid against themself for 6 or 7 years.

The key is to put your best bid in and then stand firm.  And if you win fine.  If you lose walk away.   I think that is where Elias is with Rodon now.

I think my guess is as good as Connolly's because Elias and his team do not leak.

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

We arent getting him on a 2-3 year deal. He will go to one of the big spenders.

Bassitt is looking like he’ll be closer to the 4/100 range than the 3/45, we were hoping for. 

This market is crazy, and with milb players on the cusp, we kind of need to figure out what we have before we start giving away the Connor Norbys of the world. 

I want us to sign a vet bat but I don’t see any cheap ones, outside of Aguilar. I’d rather rotate Hays, Stowers, Santander, Westburg, Urias, Cowser, and Norby, till the trade deadline. 

We can figure out what we have, without punting the 2023 season. “I like our guys”. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bassitt is looking like he’ll be closer to the 4/100 range than the 3/45, we were hoping for. 

This market is crazy, and with milb players on the cusp, we kind of need to figure out what we have before we start giving away the Connor Norbys of the world. 

I want us to sign a vet bat but I don’t see any cheap ones, outside of Aguilar. I’d rather rotate Hays, Stowers, Santander, Westburg, Urias, Cowser, and Norby, till the trade deadline. 

We can figure out what we have, without punting the 2023 season. “I like our guys”. 

I think it's a darn shame if they have to spend 2023 "figuring out what they have" after spending three full seasons not trying to win games.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not so sure about that. I don’t see him getting that much. Not close. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is part of a Twitter thread. He also ended up saying he doesn’t think they will for a hitter either.

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt Connolly) this is very sad. This says to me they we Orioles fans won't have nice things until after the Angelos family is gone. Even when they get so much right, they still will continue to sabotage their own success...SMH

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If this is true (and I have no reason to doubt Connolly) this is very sad. This says to me they we Orioles fans won't have nice things until after the Angelos family is gone. Even when they get so much right, they still will continue to sabotage their own success...SMH

I bet the Astros fans are upset by this same strategy!

Based on the comments Elias made two days ago, I got the clear impression that the hitters he’s looking for are role players, not centerpieces.  So, I’m not at all surprised that he’s not looking beyond 2-3 years there, if that.  He talked about our talented young hitters and their flexibility, and not wanting to block them long term.  

As to the pitchers, it’s harder to say he wanted to give no more than 2-3 years based on what he’s said.   I’ll only say that there aren’t many of the pitchers on the market who warrant more than that, based on their track records with health.   I realize market conditions are pushing these contracts higher and longer, but sometimes you have to resist market conditions when they become irrational.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I bet the Astros fans are upset by this same strategy!

The Astros are not run by anybody who’s last name is Angelos. 

Bless you guys’ hearts for still finding a way to believe and spin this as some sort of positive.

But I don’t care how good Elias is, it’s going to be almost impossible to win at the highest level with this type of idiotic, interfering ownership. We haven’t been to a World Series under the Angelos banner. Why would anything change now?

Leave it up to the Orioles to take something that could be filled with so much fun and excitement and turn it into a way to deflate so much of your fanbase. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

The Astros are not run by anybody who’s last name is Angelos. 

Bless you guys’ hearts for still finding a way to believe and spin this as some sort of positive.

But I don’t care how good Elias is, it’s going to be almost impossible to win at the highest level with this type of idiotic, interfering ownership. We haven’t been to a World Series under the Angelos banner. Why would anything change now?

Leave it up to the Orioles to take something that could be filled with so much fun and excitement and turn it into a way to deflate so much of your fanbase. 

You just don’t get it. Ownership is cheap, no doubt..but this is how Elias wants to do things.  This is how he wants to handle free agency.