Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Padres may be losing money at present.  Forbes had them at an operating loss of $32 mm for 2021.   Honestly I don’t expect the Orioles to ever do that.  They did have small operating losses (per Forbes) back when their payroll was in the $150 - $160 mm range.  

If the Orioles current ownership group is that cash poor where they are so dependent upon yearly revenue because they don't have any other meaningful business holdings, it may be in the best interest of all parties concerned that they sell the team as soon as possible. There is NO WAY anyone can tell me that with a $55-65 million dollar payroll, given that they received upwards of $300 million in this one offseason alone, that they are operating in the red. If they are, someone is seriously doing some shenanigans and cooking the books. 

6 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think it's premature to call Stowers a lock for the opening day roster. It would not surprise me in the slightest if they go with Mazara over him after Elias made a point of calling him a platoon option for the 2023 Orioles.

It is if it means intentionally punting a year of Adley, Gunnar, and Grayson, which currently appears to be the case.

If they go with Mazara then Vavra is on the team. Have to see.

I’m not happy with the lack of adding a better SP but this punting the season talk is a bit much. You want to complain they haven’t been aggressive enough, that’s fair. Punt is a bit much. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not happy with the lack of adding a better SP but this punting the season talk is a bit much. You want to complain they haven’t been aggressive enough, that’s fair. Punt is a bit much. 

They aren’t punting on the season.  However, by not attacking the part of the roster that needs it the most, they aren’t doing what it takes to try to win either.

They are saying, we will slightly augment our roster and just hope we continue to catch lightning in a bottle. 

You are coming off an exciting season, one that has really started to get people in the city and all around the baseball world talking.  You have a team that fans want to root for and a bunch of players who love the game, love playing with each other and want to win.

And the way you have repaid all of that is by making 2 mediocre at best signings. You haven’t addressed the top of your roster, as you needed to and you have watched teams around you get better.

There is no excuse for this. So far, the Os have committed 18M new dollars to the team and, per usual, they spent the money on a poor way. These middling contracts are almost always failures. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It really isn't. The moves they have made (Gibson and Frazier) and are reported to be considering (Wacha) do not make the team meaningfully better than it was at the end of 2022, when it finished in fourth place. If that holds, then they are punting 2023. 

And Vavra seems to be an even longer shot than Stowers to make the team out of spring training.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=vavrate01&t=f&year=2022

Look at Vavra’s game logs. The team got a good look at him at 2nd the last week of the season and apparently didn’t like what they saw. I’m piecing together they feel the same about Westburg at 2nd. 

Why not trade these kinds of prospects before they flail around then? It just isn’t logical how this is being approached.

As a MSU grad, I'm always happy to have a Bulldog on the roster (the last one was, what...Jon Knott? Eric DuBose?). Hopefully Westburg can join him soon. Beyond that....I don't get it. As many others have pointed out, it seems like an odd allocation of what appear to be limited resources. I continue to harbor concerns that this part of the job isn't going to prove to be Elias' strength.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They aren’t punting on the season.  However, by not attacking the part of the roster that needs it the most, they aren’t doing what it takes to try to win either.

They are saying, we will slightly augment our roster and just hope we continue to catch lightning in a bottle. 

You are coming off an exciting season, one that has really started to get people in the city and all around the baseball world talking.  You have a team that fans want to root for and a bunch of players who love the game, love playing with each other and want to win.

And the way you have repaid all of that is by making 2 mediocre at best signings. You haven’t addressed the top of your roster, as you needed to and you have watched teams around you get better.

There is no excuse for this. So far, the Os have committed 18M new dollars to the team and, per usual, they spent the money on a poor way. These middling contracts are almost always failures. 

I’m not excusing anything. 

If he isn’t trading a regular than whatever player he added to the bats was going to take at bats away from someone. It’s a one year deal.  

26 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If the Orioles current ownership group is that cash poor where they are so dependent upon yearly revenue because they don't have any other meaningful business holdings, it may be in the best interest of all parties concerned that they sell the team as soon as possible. There is NO WAY anyone can tell me that with a $55-65 million dollar payroll, given that they received upwards of $300 million in this one offseason alone, that they are operating in the red. If they are, someone is seriously doing some shenanigans and cooking the books. 

I didn’t suggest they are operating in the red.  I just meant they may not be able to take their payroll as high as the Padres’ is now.   There’s a lot of room in between.   

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Adam Frazier is Trey Mancini.

He well deserved his spot in the Top 12 position players.    Elias has reshaped that guy with similar overall value into one with more defensive value (and flipped 600 PA from right to left).

Elias has deployed his safety net at the start of 2023 instead of looking for one later.

The whole Stowers/Vavra/Westburg/Urias question will play itself out over the course of the year.