Orioles sign Adam Frazier

eddie83

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I would have rather just stuck with Vavra and put this $8 million dollars towards an actual need, or at least someone who makes the team meaningfully better, but getting meaningfully better does not appear to be much of a priority this offseason.

When playing well Frazier is a high OBP guy and much better fielder than Vavra. More versatile.

Vavra can still be on the team as a utility type.  

I don't hate this move. I don't love it either. It's fine. I like Frazier as a player with the Pirates and if he can return to that form he'll be a solid player, but that is a question. He's mostly depth right? I can see him starting the year at 2B, but he's also not a guy that's going to block someone like Westburg or Ortiz. He can also get some playing time in the OF and allow them to play Hays a bit less. 

Obviously he's a very similar player to Vavra. So this may be more of an indication on the Orioles' thoughts on Vavra, particularly him playing 2B. I really want to see what happens next. This feels very much like a precursor to moving Urias or Mateo (or I guess Hays).  

• Upvote 3

Off-season isn't over, but so far it looks like they're running it back with Fancy Odor and Fancy Lyles. 

Add in Wacha and that's this year's main upgrade (other than full season Adley/Gunnar, and Grayson). 

Not suuuper inspiring. But also doesn't really hurt you anywhere. Again, I tend to think this is the FO getting another look at the squad, holding their cards, and then swinging deals at the deadline for a playoff push. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

Off-season isn't over, but so far it looks like they're running it back with Fancy Odor and Fancy Lyles. 

Add in Wacha and that's this year's main upgrade (other than full season Adley/Gunnar, and Grayson). 

Not suuuper inspiring. But also doesn't really hurt you anywhere. Again, I tend to think this is the FO getting another look at the squad, holding their cards, and then swinging deals at the deadline for a playoff push. 

Yep.

And I think it is likely they end up wasting a year of Adley and Gunnar.

• Upvote 3

Just now, E-D-D-I-E said:

We had one and Odor was great in the club house and truth be told, was far more valuable for far less money. 

All due to respect to Odor, who was fun, Frazier is unquestionably the better player. Just based on versatility alone, it's a better use of a roster spot. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I love how Roch states it as common knowledge we were looking for a 2B. Since when has Roch or anyone from the Orioles mentioned anything about a 2B???

Especially when the roster had one last year...

He knows things 7 minutes before we do.