Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

So between Connolly saying this and what Nightengale is saying, I think it’s pretty clear that the plan communicated to him was to START all of those games.

Now, I’m not saying that’s what will happen and again, if they still bring in a good bat to be at DH, 1st, etc..then all is good.

But IF this is the plan, as is being stated, then an impact bat isn’t likely being brought in and yes, that’s very stupid.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What does that have to do with anything ?  Was the roster 24 or 25 then? 

This bench if they choose does not have to use a traditional utility player. 

I'll try and explain it to you.

Teams carry more pitchers now.

That means that they have fewer guys that aren't pitchers.

It's harder to have platoons when you have fewer guys that aren't pitchers.

Roster construction has changed in the last 40 years.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll try and explain it to you.

Teams carry more pitchers now.

That means that they have fewer guys that aren't pitchers.

It's harder to have platoons when you have fewer guys that aren't pitchers.

Roster construction has changed in the last 40 years.

I am well aware. The roster size was smaller then. That was my point. I know all of this. 

All I am saying is this team does not need a traditional utility player which in theory creates another player for the bench. I don’t know who that will be. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So between Connolly saying this and what Nightengale is saying, I think it’s pretty clear that the plan communicated to him was to START all of those games.

Now, I’m not saying that’s what will happen and again, if they still bring in a good bat to be at DH, 1st, etc..then all is good.

But IF this is the plan, as is being stated, then an impact bat isn’t likely being brought in and yes, that’s very stupid.

No way is he starting 80 games unless Adley is hurt or he hits like Frank Thomas. 

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, everything is stupid when it’s stupid. 

From Connolly’s article:

https://theathletic.com/4027312/2022/12/22/orioles-mets-james-mccann/?source=user_shared_article

Well, we’ve already established that he’s the Orioles’ backup, meaning he probably will start 50-60 games behind the plate when Rutschman gets a day off or serves as the designated hitter. As a right-handed hitter, McCann also might get some starts at DH when Rutschman is catching and other position players need a full breather. He has also played nine games (six starts) at first base in the past two seasons, meaning he could fill in there occasionally if needed. So, 60-80 games total seems like a reasonable amount for McCann in 2023.

60-80 is not 80.

All of these moves are small potatoes.   There's some potential for minor improvements based  on Gibson/Lyles, Frazier/Odor, and McCann/Chirino.   Givens is a downgrade from Lopez but hopefully Baker makes up the difference.

I'm still expecting the corner OF who bats LH that Elias talked about and the #1-#3 pitcher.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

All of these moves are small potatoes.   There's some potential for minor improvements based  on Gibson/Lyles, Frazier/Odor, and McCann/Chirino.   Givens is a downgrade from Lopez but hopefully Baker makes up the difference.

I'm still expecting the corner OF who bats LH that Elias talked about and the #1-#3 pitcher.

I’d bet that Lopez and Givens 2023 will be similarly effective. Lopez was never going to continue being as good as he was in the first half of 22. 

Also, Frazier is likely the LH corner outfield bat and, if this offseason has taught us anything, the starter that Elias publicly stated he wanted us more likely to be a #5 with upside that anything close to an actual #1-3. 

This offseason sucks, have I mentioned that?

• Upvote 1