Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

The Amaya return for the Marlins is a SS who got 350 AAA plate appearances last year, so it might not be Full Speed Ahead to Marlins SS Jorge Mateo yet.

Still free agents like Jose Iglesias and Brian Anderson are at least guys that GM's negotiating with Elias can say are alternatives to Mateo/Urias.   

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The only issue with that is, is once you call up Duffy he’s up or you have to DFA him. Same with David Price. With Vespi needing hernia surgery, I do think we are short a LH weapon the first part of the season. Akin has an option as well, I’ve been thinking he was out of options. Akin also struggled in the 2nd half last year. 

I don’t view Price or a Duffy signing as a full season option. I would view them as another chess piece to move around in the first half to get us to Means(fingers crossed), and to avoid us having to overpay with prospects for a SP right now. 

I’d drop the Rule 5 guy ASAP, and utilize Duffy or Price and a bulk reliever behind a guy like Baker, on occasion. A 13 man pitching staff allows for some creativity. 

If Duffy isn't good, DFA'ing him won't be a problem.  If he is reasonably healthy, probably a better bet than the R5 guy.

19 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

LOL, the Orioles really might just stathend pat  rest of the way.  Pathetic, but expected. 

Not sure I'd want to give up a player/prospect combo of Arraez' value for two years of Lopez with where the Orioles currently sit. I don't think it would move the needle enough for them if they sent Santander or Mullins, and I'd rather not see them lose pieces like Cowser/Westburg/etc for short term deals.

If they could move players like Hays/Mateo/Urias or pick up longer-term pieces like Luzardo/Rogers/Cabrera, that'd be a different story.

27 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

LOL, the Orioles really might just stathend pat  rest of the way.  Pathetic, but expected. 

Don’t worry, if that happens, we will hear from everyone here that we can’t put together a package better than Arraez and that there is nothing we could have done.

25 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought Arraez was their 1B man.  I'm fine with the Twins trading for him, I think Bradish could be just as good as him this year and some people wanted to include Bradish as part of the trade,

I think Miranda is their 1B moving forward. They also have a plethora of lefty swinging outfielders (Larnach, Wallner, Gallo, Kepler, who can  dh. They have Buxton in cf when he is healthy. They have Correa at ss and Polanco at 2b. They have Gordon and Lewis looking for a home. They also have Julien, a good hitting prospect who could be in MLB sometime in 2023.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t worry, if that happens, we will hear from everyone here that we can’t put together a package better than Arraez and that there is nothing we could have done.

I already beat you to it; didn't need to wait for it to happen 😀

But seriously though, would you rather the O's offer more value than Arraez? Dude had a 4.4 bWar, led the league in batting average, OPS+ of 120 over his four years. Not sure what the O's would have to offer to make more sense for the Marlins offensive needs than that. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

SHOULD they offer a package more valuable than Arraez?   We’re talking about a guy who’s been worth 10.4 rWAR in his career (4.4 last year) and is under control for 3 years, compared to Lopez who’s been worth 8.5 rWAR (3.0 last year) and is under control for two years. (By fWAR, Lopez has the career edge while Arraez has the 2022 edge.)

36 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

But seriously though, would you rather the O's offer more value than Arraez? Dude had a 4.4 bWar, led the league in batting average, OPS+ of 120 over his four years. Not sure what the O's would have to offer to make more sense for the Marlins offensive needs than that. 

I assume the Marlins were asking about Mullins.  Trading Mullins for Lopez creates a bigger hole than it fills.  I would rather go into the season w no other starting pitchers than w/ McKenna as the starting CF.

8 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Miami has been after several different guys on different teams and different positions, according to reports.

Lopez is also not the only guy they are willing to trade.

There is zero reason for a team like the Os, who matches up extremely well with Miami, to not come through on some deal with them.

The Os aren’t interested in drafting pitching early. I agree with them there. They aren’t interested in paying what’s needed for pitching. I agree in some ways with that. 

So, if you won’t buy it and you won’t draft it, you have to get pitching through trades. It makes it more vital and necessary for the Orioles to perhaps even overpay slightly in a trade since that’s the best way they will acquire higher end pitching.