Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

If they were seriously thinking of trading Santander they should have signed someone to minimze his loss of offense.  They could have signed some like Drury to play outfield DH position along with Stowers.  Drury and Lopez would help the team more then just Santander.  It would been more money for sure but just don’t sign Frazier and money about equal.  

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Going to be funny when the Red Sox get one of the Marlins pitchers.

The people reassuring themselves with "at least we're better than Boston" will have a much harder time convincing themselves that's the case if they acquire Lopez.

Sale, Lopez, Kluber, Pivetta, Houck/Whitlock/Bello looks a hell of a lot better than Gibson, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez, Wells/Voth/Watkins.

28 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The people reassuring themselves with "at least we're better than Boston" will have a much harder time convincing themselves that's the case if they acquire Lopez.

Sale, Lopez, Kluber, Pivetta, Houck/Whitlock/Bello looks a hell of a lot better than Gibson, Kremer, Bradish, Rodriguez, Wells/Voth/Watkins.

Boston’s lineup is trash, I hate to tell y’all. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/marlins-letting-teams-know-four-of-their-starters-are-available.html

The Marlins’ Pablo Lopez has often come up in trade rumors, but according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Lopez is just one of four starters that the Marlins are telling other teams are available in trade talks. The other three are Edward Cabrera, Trevor Rogers and Jesus Luzardo. It’s been widely reported for quite some time that the Marlins were willing to tap into their pitching surplus in trades, but this sheds more light on who the Marlins are willing to trade and who’s seemingly off limits.

15 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/01/marlins-letting-teams-know-four-of-their-starters-are-available.html

The Marlins’ Pablo Lopez has often come up in trade rumors, but according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, Lopez is just one of four starters that the Marlins are telling other teams are available in trade talks. The other three are Edward Cabrera, Trevor Rogers and Jesus Luzardo. It’s been widely reported for quite some time that the Marlins were willing to tap into their pitching surplus in trades, but this sheds more light on who the Marlins are willing to trade and who’s seemingly off limits.

Of course the Orioles have interest. What we don’t know is what the Marlins want in return. Clearly position players, length of team control has to be important 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I still think the best guy to get is Jesus Lazardo.  He might not have the track record as someone like Lopez but he has more upside then him and just seems to be turning into the top of the rotation type guy at 25.  He has more service time available 3 years compared to 2 and will probably be a bit cheaper.  The second half of last year era was 3.02 with a whip under 1.  There was talk in the minors of him being the best left handed prospect in baseball at a point with the A’s. I really believe he is just coming into his own and about to be one of the better young lefties in baseball in the next couple years.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/5/2023 at 1:38 AM, DrinkinWithFermi said:

A lot of question marks in both of those staffs to say either one looks better.  Sale has made 10 starts since 2019, this is Chris Sale from 5 years ago.  Lopez solid middle of the rotation type guy.  Kluber decent backend type guy but nothing special at this point in career.  Pivetta back end guy with high 4 era type not much upside.  There number 5 guy is a crap shoot Whitlock/ Houck been good in pen but who knows as a starter.  Whitlock was much worse starting last year, Bello is high upside guy but very young and inexperienced may be ready but also might not.  
I have no idea why you have Gibson as number 1 for us.  He will be the 3rd or 4th starter by May most likely.  Although he usually starts well and then fades.  Kremer should start opening day and be the main guy at least until GRod takes over.  

6 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

I'd like to see us hold onto our big league guys Mullins, Santander, Hays and Mountcastle, but offer the fish either Westburg or Ortiz plus a couple fringe prospects. Of the four supposedly available is that enough and for who should we target?

Theyre interested in OF and corner IF players, mainly at the controllable ML level or near ready.  You could try to send them Mayo or Cowser as a CF as a centerpiece, and add on Westburg/Ortiz.  For reference, from BTV future WAR:

Westburg: 15.8

Cowser: 25.0

Ortiz: 13.4

Mayo: 12.2

Lopez: 38.7

Rogers: 36.5

Luzardo: 28

Cabrera: 14.8

If you take those as gospel, I'd be more interested In Luzardo and Cabrera than Rogers or Lopez, and likely for a Westburg/Cowser combo based on @Tony-OH reports.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bpilktree said:

I still think the best guy to get is Jesus Lazardo.  He might not have the track record as someone like Lopez but he has more upside then him and just seems to be turning into the top of the rotation type guy at 25.  He has more service time available 3 years compared to 2 and will probably be a bit cheaper.  The second half of last year era was 3.02 with a whip under 1.  There was talk in the minors of him being the best left handed prospect in baseball at a point with the A’s. I really believe he is just coming into his own and about to be one of the better young lefties in baseball in the next couple years.  

I'd honestly be fine with Luzardo or Cabrera. Luzardo is probably more of a plug and play guy this season, but I really like Cabrera's upside too. He really showed some nice flashes last season. All that said, I give the edge to Luzardo for his GIFability. 

the jesus win GIFjesus GIFben affleck dogma GIF