Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hays has put up a much better total WAR than Kepler the last two seasons. Plus has more control left. The Marlins gave us a comp pick last year. 

Mountcastle and Hays for Lopez and Comp pick 

Then we ride with some combo of Mancini and Westburg at 1B with Stowers in LF full time, and Cowser real close. Maybe even sign a stop gap LF like Adam Duvall. 

I'd love to see Hays and Mountcastle elsewhere.  That'd be awesome.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If Miami wants Mountcastle, you move him and put Santander at first.  Maybe you also give Stowers a chance there.

Just watching how the O’s have operated the last couple of years, they aren’t likely to hand 1B over to somebody who’s never played the position.  Even Mountcastle played 84 games there in AAA before he played it in the majors, and he was very much a work in progress in 2020/21.  The fact that we are loading up on AAAA 1B suggests to me that the O’s wouldn’t want Stowers or Santander to suddenly become the everyday 1B.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

First base is not an easy position to fill, not that I would be against looking into it. 

I'd bring back Mancini for a one year go-round if we dealt Hays and Mountcastle to the Marlins for some pitching.  He might want O'Hearn money or something which might break the bank for this franchise but whatever.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'd bring back Mancini for a one year go-round if we dealt Hays and Mountcastle to the Marlins for some pitching.  He might want O'Hearn money or something which might break the bank for this franchise but whatever.  

Why bring back Mancini when you can just call up O'Hearn??? Stack another 40 pages onto the O'Hearn thread with that one babyyyy

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Just watching how the O’s have operated the last couple of years, they aren’t likely to hand 1B over to somebody who’s never played the position.  Even Mountcastle played 84 games there in AAA before he played it in the majors, and he was very much a work in progress in 2020/21.  The fact that we are loading up on AAAA 1B suggests to me that the O’s wouldn’t want Stowers or Santander to suddenly become the everyday 1B.  

It’s not like McCann and Adley have loads of first base experience but yet they seem fine with them getting some starts over there.

We know they value versatility and these guys do/have/will learn the position. 

It doesn’t really matter though. You don’t keep Mountcastle, especially if he can help get you Cabrera, because of an iffy first base situation behind him.

You figure it out. That’s not make or breaking your team

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Why bring back Mancini when you can just call up O'Hearn??? Stack another 40 pages onto the O'Hearn thread with that one babyyyy

Because I'll have been spared the agony of Mountcastle's annual 5 week cold spell and I'd prefer not to see a player who hits like that, you know, all the time.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Because I'll have been spared the agony of Mountcastle's annual 5 week cold spell and I'd prefer not to see a player who hits like that, you know, all the time.  

Mountcastle is like my old lead singer. Can just be an absolute dick sometimes, but then you see him at the gig and he's all smiles and jokes and I'm like ahhh I can't stay mad at this guy. 

Part of me wants to be rid of Mountcastle, but then...

Baltimore Orioles on Twitter: "Fastest to 50 🔥 Ryan Mountcastle has become  the fastest Oriole to reach 50 career home runs! https://t.co/9eQHZvIhyV" /  Twitter

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd love to see Hays and Mountcastle elsewhere.  That'd be awesome.

That’s the dream right. Have a COF sitch of Stowers, Santander, and Duvall. Cowser comes up June. Sign Mancini. Westburg gets some time at 1B too. 

It would be like we’re slowly turning our roster over to our prospects or something. Crazy. 

Re: First Base. From Roch

The Orioles are going with a quantity approach, and they’re counting Anthony Santander, who worked out at first base last summer but didn’t play in a game. I’ve heard that he’ll do more of it in spring training.

Santander made nine starts with Single-A Lynchburg in 2016. It’s been a while.

Adley Rutschman and Terrin Vavra also took ground balls at first and will continue the routine in camp. Rutschman should make some starts this season, as he’s done it in college and the minors. Vavra must make the club.

26 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mancini at least seems to be capable of playing a solid to good 1B. I say we just stop gap the season Up. Givens, Gibson, and Frazier are all stop gaps. Mancini would be. Duvall would be. Oh and Trevor Bauer would be. 

We want to be like the Rays and Astros, well this is what they do. Stop gap it up and wait for the prospects to come up. 

Plus, Mountcastle and Hays are too much alike. They don’t take a lot of pitches or walk. They’re prone to terrible slumps because of that. They’re second half hitting is why we missed the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Re: First Base. From Roch

The Orioles are going with a quantity approach, and they’re counting Anthony Santander, who worked out at first base last summer but didn’t play in a game. I’ve heard that he’ll do more of it in spring training.

Santander made nine starts with Single-A Lynchburg in 2016. It’s been a while.

Adley Rutschman and Terrin Vavra also took ground balls at first and will continue the routine in camp. Rutschman should make some starts this season, as he’s done it in college and the minors. Vavra must make the club.

Why must Vavra make the club?  He has two options remaining. 

29 minutes ago, interloper said:

Mountcastle is like my old lead singer. Can just be an absolute dick sometimes, but then you see him at the gig and he's all smiles and jokes and I'm like ahhh I can't stay mad at this guy. 

Part of me wants to be rid of Mountcastle, but then...

Baltimore Orioles on Twitter: "Fastest to 50 🔥 Ryan Mountcastle has become  the fastest Oriole to reach 50 career home runs! https://t.co/9eQHZvIhyV" /  Twitter

Your old lead singer, eh?  You should get in touch with @Can_of_corn, he likes terrible music.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Plus, Mountcastle and Hays are too much alike. They don’t take a lot of pitches or walk. They’re prone to terrible slumps because of that. They’re second half hitting is why we missed the playoffs. 

Trey had a .614 OPS in the second half last year (worse than Hays and Mountcastle) and a .173 Postseason OPS. Mountcastle is a much better option than him heading into next year. The guy was one of, if not the, most unlucky hitter last year.