Prepare yourselves for Hosmer

interloper

There's quite literally no one who makes great sense as a ML-quality 1B on the farm.

Ya this is a problem, which is why if I was Elias I'd make a Heston Kjerstad to 1B move a priority next season. I understand that he got a late start so there's good reasons it hasn't been done up to now. But Kjerstad should be ready to roll come 2023. Obviously he won't be in the mix should Mountcastle suck or get hurt this season, but a year from now he should be putting pressure on Ryan, and anybody else playing first, to put up or shut up. 

1 minute ago, George Zuverink said:

I’m not interested in him as a player, but could someone refresh my memory about why there’s such widespread distaste for Hosmer.?

Just a smug d-bag in the 2014 playoff series against the Royals. Unbelievably punchable face in that series. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

@interloper I’m going to light a paper bag of dog poop, leave it on your doorstep, ring the doorbell and run away. 

So you'll be giving him the same  treatment you give normally reserve for Colby Rasmus?

Edit:  Well, damn, guess I should have read ahead in the thread and seen that Frobby beat me to this.

Great minds think alike.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

At least he passed through waivers, meaning we didn't claim him. So if we are interested it would have to be on a minor league deal, correct? I would have no problem with that. 

Don't think it would have to be a minor league deal.

But the Red Sox are on the hook for whatever was left on his contract, we could get him for the MLB minimum.

So does that mean he gets to choose his team if he has multiple suitors?   I mean, we can't "outbid" someone for him, right?

If, say, his contract is for $12 million dollars, and we offer him $1 million, and another team offered him $2 million, either way he gets the 12, it's just that Boston would have to pay a million less if he signs with the other team, right?   So effectively teams can't bid on his services because he's going to get the guaranteed 12 anyway?   So IF there is more than one team interested he gets to choose based on whatever non-monetary factors are important to him?

Just curious if that's how these situations work.   

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Don't think it would have to be a minor league deal.

But the Red Sox are on the hook for whatever was left on his contract, we could get him for the MLB minimum.

So does that mean he gets to choose his team if he has multiple suitors?   I mean, we can't "outbid" someone for him, right?

If, say, his contract is for $12 million dollars, and we offer him $1 million, and another team offered him $2 million, either way he gets the 12, it's just that Boston would have to pay a million less if he signs with the other team, right?   So effectively teams can't bid on his services because he's going to get the guaranteed 12 anyway?   So IF there is more than one team interested he gets to choose based on whatever non-monetary factors are important to him?

Just curious if that's how these situations work.   

He can pick. I guess a team in theory can give him whatever deal they would want in addition to what he is owed. Hate to bring his name up… but I think that’s what happened with Odor. 

Edited by eddie83

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He can pick. I guess a team in theory can give him whatever deal they would want in addition to what he is owed. Hate to bring his name up… but I think that’s what happened with Odor. 

Now I am wondering. The Yankees paid the minimum salary after getting Odor in a deal. Then the Orioles paid minimum salary. In this instance the Red Sox took on a very small amount. About a minimum salary worth. I guess if a team gets him they pay the minimum. I guess a team can’t give him another deal. Not sure.