How do Mateo/Henderson/Ortiz/Westburg rank/compare defensively at shortstop?

orioles22

4 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

In a non-shifted defense moving forward, I could see Mateo’s range making him even more valuable at short and distancing himself even further from the competition.

Yeah, it would seem that excellent range will be even more at a premium with the new rule.

Love the Brother Lo avatar, BTW.  

My impression:

Mateo - outstanding

Ortiz - excellent 

Henderson - very solid 

Wedtburg - decent   

I don’t think any team would have concerns about any of the first three being the everyday shortstop.   Westburg isn’t awful but probably better suited to occasional utility duty at SS rather than an everyday guy.  

Who you play among the first 3 is going to depend more on offense and who’s available at 2B and 3B.

Ignore....missed the OP was clearly saying just defensively.  

It depends.   Are we just talking glove?  If so then I agree with the general consensus of Mateo, Ortiz, Henderson, Westburg.  But if we are talking overall player,  including bat then I think it's likely a very different ranking.  Clearly none of us know how the milb numbers will translate to the majors for Westburg or Ortiz, but it's likely that Mateo is the worst bat of all 4.  

Edited by forphase1
I'm an idiot.

I still think we need to add Mateo another year and make sure he didn’t peak in 2022.  Im not saying he did but I don’t think it can be ruled out.

From what it sounds/looks like, only Westburg can’t be a SS at this level. It seems the other 3 should be able to play at a high level to varying degrees.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

In terms of foot speed Ortiz is the slowest of the four which may have something to do with range.

I think foot speed is only loosely related to range for a SS.   The ball only takes about one second to travel to where the SS fields it, and nobody reaches full speed that quickly.   Anticipation and how quickly the player gets his body moving in the right direction are incredibly important.   Obviously you do get plays like pop-ups into the short OF where speed does become more important.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think foot speed is only loosely related to range for a SS.   The ball only takes about one second to travel to where the SS fields it, and nobody reaches full speed that quickly.   Anticipation and how quickly the player gets his body moving in the right direction are incredibly important.   Obviously you do get plays like pop-ups into the short OF where speed does become more important.  

Range is mostly about foot speed IMO.   Many plays at SS do not require foot speed.  They require quickness.   But many plays do benefit from foot speed.   The ball to the outfield, the ball up the middle, the ball deep in the hole all can require foot speed for a SS to reach them.

Edited by wildcard