What is the real reason for our off season?

DocJJ

This has to be one of the most frustrating off seasons ever.  There was loads of talent available and we pretty much did nothing.  (I'd argue that with the ridiculous Frazier contract we may have done worse than nothing...). Granted, some of these bloated contracts really seem ludicrous.  Even the best starting pitchers have trouble staying healthy for prolonged periods of time.  You could be a torn labrum away from spending $300 million to get nothing in return....

Poll:

This off season was disappointing because:

1. Angelos refused to allow significant spending?

2. Elias was caught off guard- he never imagined the length/duration of the deals that the other teams struck.

3. Elias genuinely thinks these deals are ridiculous and are going to come back to bite these teams, and wanted no part of any of it...

4. Elias thinks we over-achieved last year and we still need to be in 'Tank' mode another few years.

5.Elias tried hard to get some better players, but for some reason everyone still avoids the Orioles like the plague...

6. Some other reason?

My guess is primarily '1' with a bit of '3' and '5'.

• Upvote 1

How about our improvement is going to come from our loaded farm system which is just starting to come to MLB.  It is NOT going to come from spending tens of million dollars for a few big name, aging players.  I guess the author hasn't checked to see that we have 4 new and improved pitchers coming in 2023, as well as expected improvement in last year's starters.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He's overly risk adverse.

Possibly…but I also think the Angelos family is providing little to work with. 

Considering the influx of money this offseason they didn’t allot enough money to be effective. I understand not wanting to give 6+ years and 25 plus million. But, the mid priced guys like Evoldi should’ve been in play.

I’m super frustrated.  Keep telling myself to be patient.

My orange colored sunglasses tell me maybe we are waiting until the deadline to get a gauge on healthy SPs, see how our youngsters are doing, and see how realistic a top WC spot. 

Apart from that I got nothing.  Par for the course being an Os fan. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

This has to be one of the most frustrating off seasons ever.  There was loads of talent available and we pretty much did nothing.  (I'd argue that with the ridiculous Frazier contract we may have done worse than nothing...). Granted, some of these bloated contracts really seem ludicrous.  Even the best starting pitchers have trouble staying healthy for prolonged periods of time.  You could be a torn labrum away from spending $300 million to get nothing in return....

Poll:

This off season was disappointing because:

1. Angelos refused to allow significant spending?

2. Elias was caught off guard- he never imagined the length/duration of the deals that the other teams struck.

3. Elias genuinely thinks these deals are ridiculous and are going to come back to bite these teams, and wanted no part of any of it...

4. Elias thinks we over-achieved last year and we still need to be in 'Tank' mode another few years.

5.Elias tried hard to get some better players, but for some reason everyone still avoids the Orioles like the plague...

6. Some other reason?

My guess is primarily '1' with a bit of '3' and '5'.

To get to next season? To keep the payroll cheap to maximize the profits while trying to sell. To lighten the load for the trip to Nashville?

I honestly don’t know for sure ….I just think it sucks!

57 minutes ago, 2001OriolesFan said:

How about our improvement is going to come from our loaded farm system which is just starting to come to MLB.  It is NOT going to come from spending tens of million dollars for a few big name, aging players.  I guess the author hasn't checked to see that we have 4 new and improved pitchers coming in 2023, as well as expected improvement in last year's starters.

Who are the four new and improved pitchers? I'm assuming Rodriguez is one. Are you counting on Gibson to be better than Lyles? Givens to be better than pre-trade Lopez? Who's #4, Hall? Other than Rodriguez, I don't see much pitching help coming from the farm in 2023. Which of last year's starters are you expecting improvement from? 

2 minutes ago, deward said:

Who are the four new and improved pitchers? I'm assuming Rodriguez is one. Are you counting on Gibson to be better than Lyles? Givens to be better than pre-trade Lopez? Who's #4, Hall? Other than Rodriguez, I don't see much pitching help coming from the farm in 2023. Which of last year's starters are you expecting improvement from? 

I’ll also add that Spenser Watkins is very much not likely to give us 120 IP, 20 GS, and a 4.78 ERA. That’s the clear luck we got last year. 

If #2 or 3 are factors this organization is truly going nowhere. I hope there was no surprise or shock regarding free agent cost because the truth is it costs real money to obtain quality players via free agency that can actually be difference makers (not the guys we brought in who are simply place holders). Plus, the cost continues to go up never down, meaning there is no reasonable possibility that come next year great free agents will be had for cheaper deals. Free agency simply cost what it cost.

On to #5 - I can't even entertain that. Like there is some sort of conspiracy against the Orioles that does not exist for anyone else. Please! That is an excuse for losers. If the Orioles want players and are willing to pay them the market price, they will gladly sign on the dotted line.

#1 is the most likely of the reasons, but either way it doesn't really matter because what's done is done.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Possibly…but I also think the Angelos family is providing little to work with. 

Considering the influx of money this offseason they didn’t allot enough money to be effective. I understand not wanting to give 6+ years and 25 plus million. But, the mid priced guys like Evoldi should’ve been in play.

Sorry was rushed and on mobile.

I was just listing that as one contributing factor.