Braves lock up C Sean Murphy; Adley’s market value

Frobby

9 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I have lived in the Atlanta suburbs for the past 13 1/2 years and for over 20 years overall.  And everything above is absolutely true.  I haven't taken a connecting flight since 2005 I think, as pretty much everything is a direct flight from Atlanta. The weather is way more appealing also, as being cold and snowed in is really overrated.  

I love what the Braves have done with their young talent. I hated seeing Freddie and Dansby go though, so hopefully that doesn't bite them.  They were absolute fan favorites.  

Hard to imagine the Os doing anything more than a 1 year deal....with anyone.  In fact, I can see our front office inventing the one-year marriage contract.  Can you imagine?  Each year, both partners sign a one year deal.  And maybe there is an opt-out after 6 months.  Could totally change the industry.  

Freddie Freeman going to the Dodgers(arguably the best team in baseball in a climate paradise) and then firing his agent for not getting him back on the Braves pretty much sums it up.  People want to play in Atlanta.   

Back to Adley.  If we are able to lock up Adley this off-season and trade for a dominant SP, I’d consider the off-season a success.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

The time value of money is a thing.  A creative contract that pays out a big bonus and larger chunks early in the contract could be appealing to someone playing the most physically demanding position in baseball.  

He has already made enough money to live comfortably on for the rest of his life, so he can afford to bet on himself, and the Orioles have not made a good case for him to commit to the organization long-term. They have done the exact opposite in fact.

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He has already made enough money to live comfortably on for the rest of his life, so he can afford to bet on himself, and the Orioles have not made a good case for him to commit to the organization long-term. They have done the exact opposite in fact.

I don’t disagree.  But I also believe there is a creative way to get a deal done.  

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

Hard to imagine the Os doing anything more than a 1 year deal....with anyone.  In fact, I can see our front office inventing the one-year marriage contract.  Can you imagine?  Each year, both partners sign a one year deal.  And maybe there is an opt-out after 6 months.  Could totally change the industry.  

No no-trade clauses - you might need to mix it up in Spring Training.

http://bronxpinstripes.com/yankees-news-and-rumors/weird-yankee-history-the-wife-swap/

Peterson and Kekich were rotation regulars for the '72 Yankees, so I guess for the '23 Orioles this might be like a couple of the guys letting the Austin Powers genes behave however felt good.

$15mm for Murphy FA years feels a little low - Dodgers Will Smith might give a closer example if he commits to LAD before Adley's years of Club control are up here.

Edited by Just Regular

4 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I have lived in the Atlanta suburbs for the past 13 1/2 years and for over 20 years overall.  And everything above is absolutely true.  I haven't taken a connecting flight since 2005 I think, as pretty much everything is a direct flight from Atlanta. The weather is way more appealing also, as being cold and snowed in is really overrated.  

I love what the Braves have done with their young talent. I hated seeing Freddie and Dansby go though, so hopefully that doesn't bite them.  They were absolute fan favorites.  

Funny… when the reserve clause was eliminated by negotiator Peter Seitz.. As owner Charley Finley pleaded with other owners to do just that.  Make them all free agents every year.  Marvin Miller said that proposal was “my worst nightmare because I couldn’t argue against more freedom”.  He recognized that flooding the market rather than targeted releases onto the market every year would depress contracts. 
Miller said “fortunately the other owners never listened to Finley.” 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I don't see any reason to think he would. He's already banked over $10 million and is on track to reach free agency prior to age 30, which would likely mean that he could reasonably ask for a 5 or 6 year deal at an absolutely astronomical AAV as long as he is still producing at even roughly his 2022 level. Why would he pass on that opportunity and tie himself down to an organization that he has already watched trade away several good players in the middle of a playoff race and then follow up an 83 win season by signing a bunch of reclamation projects to one year deals?

He appears to be the competitive type and his present organization does not seem to share that drive.

I expect Adley would do it if the money and security was right for him .  Same reason most players do. 

The rest is just speculation that he and players view Elias et al in the same disappointed way fans do.  Unlikely.  

Oh .. the “good players” he traded then sucked the rest of the season, right?  Minor detail left out.  Do you want them back for 2023?  These “good” players? Or was that actually a smart move? 

Maybe Adam, Mychael, Kyle, and James can get a Tshirt.. “The Reclamation Projects” 

Edited by tntoriole
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I expect Adley would do it if the money and security was right for him .  Same reason most players do. 

The rest is just speculation that he and players view Elias et al in the same disappointed way fans do.  Unlikely.  

Oh .. the “good players” he traded then sucked the rest of the season, right?  Minor detail left out.  Do you want them back for 2023?  These “good” players? Or was that actually a smart move? 

Maybe Adam, Mychael, Kyle, and James can get a Tshirt.. “The Reclamation Projects” 

Of course.

But what the number is could vary from a number of variables.

My guess is the Braves' culture lowers what that number would be.  My guess is also how the Orioles have been acting could very well be raising that number.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course.

But what the number is could vary from a number of variables.

My guess is the Braves' culture lowers what that number would be.  My guess is also how the Orioles have been acting could very well be raising that number.

Perhaps.. i suspect winning the AL East this year probably changes the number too

That 2014 rocking Camden Yards atmosphere was pretty good culturally speaking. 

Edited by tntoriole

18 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Looking at the Rome GA area for when I retire in another five years or so.  Have heard great things about it.

It's a nice area.  I went through there this past spring.

I moved to Greenville, SC area over 2 years ago and love it.  The roads suck and the people drive like nuts, but they are very nice.  The cost of living is definitely less.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing this, I would simply like the Orioles to take the Braves approach of locking up talent early.  That definitely starts with Adley and probably Gunnar.

This is what the Braves are good at and they'll most likely continue to field great teams through the end of the decade.  Trading for Murphy was a great move on their part, then locking him up with a good deal was an even better move.  

I'd like to see the Orioles be this forward thinking and fully commit to their homegrown talent...or really, any talent in their mid 20s they acquire who can be identified as a core piece.  The Murphy deal will look like a bargain in the next couple of years if he continues to play at this level.  8/120 for Adley would be a bargain, too.  

I love what the Braves are doing.   Of course, the players have to be willing to commit, as well.  But they are having the conversations and getting it done.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

It's a nice area.  I went through there this past spring.

I moved to Greenville, SC area over 2 years ago and love it.  The roads suck and the people drive like nuts, but they are very nice.  The cost of living is definitely less.

I was in Rome GA last month for a band competition.  Cute little downtown.  Small town feel but close enough to things to not make it too rural.  Definitely a good cost of living.  Weather is nice, like in most of Georgia.  I think the roads here in GA are great compared to the northeast, but that is probably because things are newer in general here and the weather helps.

I live about 15 min. from the Braves stadium and it is a beautiful park.  The Battery is amazing.  Saw the Os play there in 2018.  Davis had a great series!    

• Upvote 1