Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You better watch out, the Optimists will come after you if you doubt their baseball King. 

Think about this for a bit. 

We left 2022 all exciting, being told we were going on a liftoff from here on out. 

Since then Elias has added one good reliever in Givens, replaced Lyles with Gibson, and now has added Frazier and O'Hearn for a combined $9.4 million. 

Can't make this offseason up.

You still haven't provided a good case for why you think this guy is making the roster. 

Also don't get why you feel so attacked. We're just having opinions out here. No one is saying anything outrageous. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've never seen so many people flip out about depth pieces as I have this off season. It's bizarre. These are pretty standard moves for any team. 

I understand the complaints about not spending on pitchers or a big bat. 

But the only reason people are complaining about this as far as I can tell is the money? Because otherwise this is no different than Diaz, who no one complained about.

I think the main reason people are complaining is that this is the only type of move we are seeing.

We are looking at:

1. A winning season last year
  2. Tons of potential room to add payroll
  3. A top ranked farm system seemingly being ignored
  4. A GM stating "Lift Off"
  5. A GM talking about a MOO bat
  6. A GM talking about a #1-#3 starter
  7. A huge stretch of intentional losing that folks are super willing to see the benefits of putting up with

If we were seeing these types of moves in addition to other moves that make the team better you wouldn't see much talk about them.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the main reason people are complaining is that this is the only type of move we are seeing.

We are looking at:

7. A huge stretch of intentional losing that folks are super willing to see the benefits of putting up with

If we were seeing these types of moves in addition to other moves that make the team better you wouldn't see much talk about them.

I agree with this. But we're all smart enough to know this is a depth signing regardless of the rest of the off season. 

It's been a disappointing off-season, I won't argue that fact. And I haven't been. And yet I continue to get lumped in with this frankly nonexistent Elias Worship Sect. I like Elias, but I'm not out here calling him a genius off season wizard. 

Edited by interloper

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are looking at:

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are looking at:

#5. I’m genuinely curious about the MOO bat.  I don’t remember that.  Can you or someone else lead me to that quote?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are looking at:

Yea it's getting kind of ridicules to hear people praise a bunch of depth signings. Depth is fine, but its not fine when it's the only thing you do 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We are looking at:

Good synopsis.  However, I thought we decided that Elias never specified a MOO bat.  Did he say a #1-3 starter?  Not sure I recall that either.  I just looked at his various August/October/December quotes and don’t see any such comments.  

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I’ll make the point again. Any major addition to the lineup would necessitate a trade of an existing starter in the lineup. 

You can "make the point" as many times as you want, but it won't make it true. We could have easily found 500 ABs for a meaningful lineup upgrade like Josh Bell, Justin Turner, or JD Martinez (as just a couple of off-hand examples).

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

I've never seen so many people flip out about depth pieces as I have this off season.

Because the team hasn't been upgraded in any meaningful way despite allegedly intending to compete for a playoff spot and now all of the free agents who would have been meaningful upgrades are gone.

21 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Because the team hasn't been upgraded in any meaningful way despite allegedly intending to compete for a playoff spot and now all of the free agents who would have been meaningful upgrades are gone.

IMO depth moves like this are just separate from what is considered a good or bad off-season. Like, good or bad, these depth moves would be made in either case you know? 

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You better watch out, the Optimists will come after you if you doubt their baseball King. 

Think about this for a bit. 

We left 2022 all exciting, being told we were going on a liftoff from here on out. 

Since then Elias has added one good reliever in Givens, replaced Lyles with Gibson, and now has added Frazier and O'Hearn for a combined $9.4 million. 

Can't make this offseason up.

I would rather the Orioles owners get richer than just to waste money on players that will never be good. Stick to your goals. Get richer get more money from the league. Don’t spend it put it in your pocket. Happy holidays.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Good synopsis.  However, I thought we decided that Elias never specified a MOO bat.  Did he say a #1-3 starter?  Not sure I recall that either.  I just looked at his various August/October/December quotes and don’t see any such comments.  

Elias quote in the Baltimore Sun in Novembet:

“Our priority… is to bring in an established starter for one of the, let’s say, top three spots in the rotation… somebody who’s been there, done that, that you can clearly pencil in ahead of the group that we have now…”

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, interloper said:

I've never seen so many people flip out about depth pieces as I have this off season. It's bizarre. These are pretty standard moves for any team. 

I understand the complaints about not spending on pitchers or a big bat. 

But the only reason people are complaining about this as far as I can tell is the money? Because otherwise this is no different than Diaz, who no one complained about.

Because they are just literally wasting money for the for the reason of wasting money to seem like they’re spending. They should’ve used all this waste of money to sign one legitimate player.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Elias quote in the Baltimore Sun in Novembet:

“Our priority… is to bring in an established starter for one of the, let’s say, top three spots in the rotation… somebody who’s been there, done that, that you can clearly pencil in ahead of the group that we have now…”

Ok, that definitely addresses the no. 1-3 starter point.  If there’s one for the MOO bat, let me know.  I don’t recall one. 

• Like 1