John Angelos/Mike Elias 1 hour interview 105.7 today

eddie83

John was asked about stadium upgrades brought up general ideas about bigger seats, smaller capacities. Party zone area in Colorado was brought up but will rely on architects to figure out stadium upgrades. 

John is more interested in the master planning. Have about 45 acres of asphalt. Would be better there will something else and less asphalt. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

General theme of building up the stadium area. Talked about how other cities are such as Atlanta, the Battery. 

Wants to use Camden Yards property 200 days a year or more. A school on grounds, for profit and not for profit. 

Isn't the Braves stadium outside city limits?

Elias was asked about how he was shopping in the second tier pitching market directly. Did the market take off more than you thought? He said he wasn’t really surprised, had some close opportunities. Likes depth and numbers and upside with the pitching staff.  

JLC asked Elias about infield depth at Balt and AAA. Elias said it’s an excellent mix. Good to be able to rest guys. The 4 infielders outside of Ryan Mountcastle and the positional flexibility they have. He did mention Gunnar at both 3rd and SS. You can mix and match. Mentioned how this spills over to Santander and getting him off his feet to DH with maybe Frazier to a corner spot that day. Well constructed roster that will be easy for manager to use and will be able to absorb health situations as season goes on. 

• Upvote 1

Barbalace asking about guys like Hall, Means, Wells, Grod and how hard to juggle staff with innings limits. 

Elias said pitching limits will not be hard and fast. Case by case basis. Advanced pitching department. They have a biomechanist. Don’t want to shut someone down in August due to innings limit. THERE is NO REAL SCIENCE BEHIND THAT, NOTHING EVER PROVEN MORE INNINGS LEADS YOU TO INJURY. They will bring their brains to workload management and get our pitchers to pitch as much as possible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

JLC asked about accounting for new shift rules. Analytics staff has accounted for new shift rules. Long story short will help LHH. We have a bunch of good LH hitters plus prospects coming, plus park. We have infielders with a lot of range and foot speed. Will be better able to handle this than other teams infielders. Thinks it could be net benefit to team but will have to see. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Barbalace asking about guys like Hall, Means, Wells, Grod and how hard to juggle staff with innings limits. 

THERE is NO REAL SCIENCE BEHIND THAT, NOTHING EVER PROVEN MORE INNINGS LEADS YOU TO INJURY. They will bring their brains to workload management and get our pitchers to pitch as much as possible. 

There we go!

I don't know when this was set but the cynic in me tells me with the controlled environment of the interview this was simply a PR stunt to get ahead of the backlash when the offer to meet with media and go over the books in a "transparent" manner never materializes. 

To me baseball is a wonderful diversion from everyday life, I care little about the big picture initiatives JA is touting. For a number of reasons the Orioles (some beyond their control) have morphed into a small market/revenue team which has a 5-6 year window to compete in the AL East, I don't want to see them blow it-at my age I may not see another!! 

I'm not naive, I know he is looking to drive traffic to the ballpark (tap other revenue streams) and recapture fans they have lost due to mismanagent of the brand, poor environment around the ballpark, and competition with more attractive family entertainment but he seems much more interested in that than the opportunity window they have now.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

John was asked about stadium upgrades brought up general ideas about bigger seats, smaller capacities. Party zone area in Colorado was brought up but will rely on architects to figure out stadium upgrades. 

John is more interested in the master planning. Have about 45 acres of asphalt. Would be better there will something else and less asphalt. 

Been telling you guys that he cares more about “the show” Than he does the product.

Concerts, gambling, party zones, etc…that’s his focus, not the team.

And btw, this type of long term planning talk doesn’t give me hope that he will be looking to sell anytime soon.

• Upvote 1