Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In theory I don't doubt that, but Kremer, Bradish and Grayson Rodriguez are going to have to pitch their way out of spots. How they manage Rodriguez's innings is the only issue with him potentially not making the rotation. In theory they could option Rodriguez and bring him back for the April 5th start and go with an extra reliever for the first five games at least I think they can do that. Not sure about the rules for how long a player needs to be down after being optioned count at the beginning of the season. Like could they option him on March 24th and get their ten days? The AAA season starts March 31st so not sure if that plays into it.

Kremer will miss some ST time when he leaves for the WBC. I wonder if that could affect his chances of making the O's rotation.

9 hours ago, rm5678 said:

Kremer will miss some ST time when he leaves for the WBC. I wonder if that could affect his chances of making the O's rotation.

The WBC really messed our rotation up years ago. I think Guthrie pitched for USA. Rodrigo Lopez for Mexico. Bedard and Loewen for Canada. Even Bruce Chen too. 

Hopefully this does not happen this year. 

14 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I bet he pays for his own streaming services!

I bet Colby Rasmus doesn’t. I bet he tips delivery people with a fist bump. I bet he leaves one square of paper on the toilet roll. I bet he lets the door shut behind him in front of little old ladies carrying packages. I bet he doesn’t cover his mouth when sneezing over the dessert tray.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I bet Colby Rasmus doesn’t. I bet he tips delivery people with a fist bump. I bet he leaves one square of paper on the toilet roll. I bet he lets the door shut behind him in front of little old ladies carrying packages. I bet he doesn’t cover his mouth when sneezing over the dessert tray.

Still better than puppy drowning Ramon Hernandez. And don’t even mention Lew Ford in my presence. 

Fangraphs with a belated look at the Irvin trade:

“As Eric pointed out to me, Hernaiz was going to have a tough time climbing the hitter-heavy Baltimore system, so he was a luxury there. In that sense, this trade is a good reallocation of resources. Baltimore is competing in a brutal division at the major league level and could use pitching help. Oakland is competing for the first pick in the draft and is in dire need of a farm system overhaul. I don’t think this trade is going to swing the AL East or West anytime soon, but I do think it’s a good bit of business by two rational teams with differing objectives.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cole-comfort-orioles-bolster-rotation-in-trade-with-oakland/

There’s some breakdown of Irvin’s stuff in the article, nothing earth-shattering.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Number5 said:

in-this-file-photo-from-october-9-orioles-third-baseman-brooks-robinson-winning-pitcher-dave.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=wfOV1DPshfw0tksfU-0jfJNLSWjPyWZ33mpub4-tpCQ=

Yep, and no one wore it for 9 years after McNally.   Third string C Dave Huppert was the next to wear it, in 1983.

We didn't wait as long after Davis.

It's been a pretty good pitcher number.   McNally, Ben McDonald, Scott Erickson, Rodrigo Lopez (for some of his time with the O's), Koji.

Edited by SteveA
  • Upvote 1

On 2/4/2023 at 4:55 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

The WBC really messed our rotation up years ago. I think Guthrie pitched for USA. Rodrigo Lopez for Mexico. Bedard and Loewen for Canada. Even Bruce Chen too. 

Hopefully this does not happen this year. 

I hate the WBC 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You and me both. Only baseball would allow their players to miss their preseason to play in a pretend Tournament that nobody will remember three weeks later who won.

I mostly agree, but have to admit that I really enjoyed watching a couple games in person in Miami. The atmosphere was electric. I definitely don't like having it negatively affect the regular season though.