Roch: O's Looking for Defensive Minded OF

SpOkane

This makes me think they might have Santander ticketed for 1B as a platoon or insurance for Mountcastle, if Ryan is injured or scuffles too much at the plate. Not a bad plan IMO. (Or do the same with Stowers at 1B if he's deemed too slow for the OF).

12 minutes ago, now said:

This makes me think they might have Santander ticketed for 1B as a platoon or insurance for Mountcastle, if Ryan is injured or scuffles too much at the plate. Not a bad plan IMO. (Or do the same with Stowers at 1B if he's deemed too slow for the OF).

If only there was a way to designate one guy to just hit.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If only there was a way to designate one guy to just hit.

Yeah, there's always that, too. (But Adley's going to be there a lot). Anyway my concern was more about worrying about Mountcastle's bat, as well as Santander's fielding.

Edited by now

5 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Jose Canseco and Jack Cust, among others, say "Hi!"

Pete Incaviglia

18 OF 40

Career Fielding Percentage: .966

League Average OF: .980

Career dWAR: -1.7

Career Rtot: -14

During his 12-year career spent with six different teams, outfielder Pete Incaviglia was hit-or-miss as a hitter, leading the American League in strikeouts twice, and hitting over 20 home runs in a season six times.

As an outfielder, Incaviglia's play could certainly be described as hit-or-miss as well. During his time with the Texas Rangers, Incaviglia's nickname was "Oops," primarily because of the way he patrolled the outfield.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

How far away is Cowser?  2-3 months?

Who knows?  He could be ready in one month but the date he’s called up likely depends on his play and that of the players on the current roster.  It could take a trade close to the deadline before he comes up.

What’s Profar worth to us, since he gives us the option to kick Santander to DH permanently?  

No shift means a lot of more balls “in play” coming the RF’s way. Idk, I’d Profar would play RF, or Hays/Stowers. Profar is a SH so that adds more versatility. DH’ing Santander would add to the odds of him being healthy all season. He’d also buy us time on not rushing Cowser. 

Obivously, we’re trying to win and make the playoffs. So then you’re talking about ways to improve on the margins of the roster. Signing Profar has value other than just Profar. We could get creative and offer him 2/16-20, that has a “mutual option”, after year one. Our short porch in RF could be an attractive option for a player on a one year deal. 

I like Profar has the switch hitting and some recent experience at 1B too. If they're really only looking for a LH corner OF though, I wouldn't have issue with David Peralta or trading a fringe lottery ticket for Max Kepler. Seems to me like Elias really doesn't want Vavra on this roster or a big role for Stowers though.

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

It's mind boggling that the team continues to try to improve areas that don't really need improvement (2B, a McKenna replacement), instead of focusing on areas where improvement was more needed (a Brantley/Abreu type bat), and better starting pitching than Gibson/Irvin.

I hear ya and it certainly has not been a sexy off season.  But I don't really think it is mind boggling and I don't think it is 100% lack of money, although it's seems clear it is restrained.

The Orioles last year exceeded expectations.  Primarily because of outstanding defense and the fact that the pitching both starting and relief far exceeded expectations.  The fact that the Orioles have graduated players from the farm and have several more on the way have left us all clamoring for top end talent to be acquired to join in the mix.  It hasn't happened.

But the moves that have been made have all strengthened the floor.  Two SP who have a history of being solid innings eaters allow for continued growth of the others and also provide numbers to allow for some regression or injury which the Orioles did not have in over abundance last year.

A former all star has been acquired to be the back up catcher.  Again, nothing sexy but clearly an upgrade over the 67 games and 220 ab given to Chirinos last year.  

The addition of Mychal Givens adds to the strength and depth of the BP and then of course there is the much maligned acquisition of Adam Fraizer for one year 8M to play 2B.  Frazier is not who many think will be the best option at 2b given the depth of the farm, but he is an improvement over Odor and allows as much time as the FO thinks is needed before giving the position to someone younger and better.  

Individually none of these moves scream playoffs.  But together, I think the Orioles have lifted their floor considerably and there is plenty of upside in AR, Gunnar, Grod and even Means.  Several other players should graduate to the bigs this year as well.

Last year at this time many were skeptical that the Orioles were even fielding a remotely competitive team and we were shocked.  It is not entirely out of the question that this team as constructed could do more of the same.

None of that changes the disappointment of our collective expectations that were fueled by last years performance and the comments of Elias about lift off.  And saying that we didn't get what we wanted.....but perhaps we did get what we needed does not mean that I am a fan boy of the GM.  

The expectation for me is that this team improves and wins enough to make the playoffs.  The hope is that it improves enough that it is considered strong enough to be a contender once those playoffs start.  I have felt that way since the season ended and I feel that way today.

This isn't how I thought they would go about it...but I doubted the teams process last year too.  I will end with this....if this team does not improve on last years performance it will deserve the rocks that are thrown, because the window of opportunity has arrived.

I am beginning to think that we may have worried more about the details than the substance.  We will see.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, SpOkane said:

Not sure if this was mentioned in any threads, but Roch mentioned this: "The interesting pursuit, however spirited, is a defensive-minded corner outfielder who can be trusted in left field."

Why do my spidey senses tell me it is Aaron Hicks?

Orioles roster seems to be nearing completion but hasn't necessarily reached that point - Blog (masnsports.com)

Aaron Hicks would horrible, in every way. We are talking about a guy who said he was too distraught to play on the day a criminal was shot and killed. That a message I want my young players to follow?

Huge pass.

Edited by E-D-D-I-E
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Baseball Savant says Profar's sprint speed is 32.  That means he runs about as well as Santander.  I don't think that is worth acquiring for the outfield.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/jurickson-profar-595777?stats=statcast-r-hitting-mlb

Good point. But how do the other defensive metrics stack up?  Profar would probably be in LF with the stronger arms of Hays/Cowser in RF. 

Profar kicks Santander to a pretty much everyday DH role. Maybe he plays some OF vs LHP. Profar also provides flexibility himself with him being a SH. He also allows us to not have to dip into our milb depth on day 1. The relative depth of Westburg, Vavra, and Cowser. 

I like the idea of getting Westburg’s bat involved. We’ll have to see how ST shakes out. Same with Vavra. Ideally I’d want Vavra playing all over the place in ST and in AAA. Westburg should get ST reps all over too. If he starts the year in AAA, we should be grooming him to handle 2B next year, along with Norby. Then there is Norby. We really have some nice depth. 

I really like the overall depth of this team. We’re built to get better as the year goes on, and we can survive some injuries. Adley and Mullins would hurt.