O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

8 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I really like the idea of it being after the World Series. I only googled it, so correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like the most games each team could play is only 7. To me, that means really the only guys you should be worried about (and possibly protect from an extended workload), would be players who played in the World Series. You’d hope that everyone else has at least another 7 games in them just in case their team actually made it to the World Series. 

The O's last regular season game was Oct 5th last year.  The World Series ended on Nov 5th.

You don't think that might be an issue?

17 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I really like the idea of it being after the World Series. I only googled it, so correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like the most games each team could play is only 7. To me, that means really the only guys you should be worried about (and possibly protect from an extended workload), would be players who played in the World Series. You’d hope that everyone else has at least another 7 games in them just in case their team actually made it to the World Series. 

According to one of the guys on MLB Network Radio this morning (I think it was Jim Duquette, who was involved in the efforts to determine when to have it back when the WBC was first starting), when they asked the players they said they wouldn't want to play after the season. 

Aside from being too tired physically and too beat up from a full season as well as just getting into being back with their families after the season, JD said you also have to consider how they'd feel about making it through their pre- Free Agency season healthy, only to risk injury right when FA begins.  The majority would probably not want to risk it right at that moment. 

You could argue that injuries in the spring could affect that too, especially if they have a full season out like Diaz will be having, but I think the impact is different if the injury occurs 9 months before the offseason rather than right when the offseason starts. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's last regular season game was Oct 5th last year.  The World Series ended on Nov 5th.

You don't think that might be an issue?

If someone is planning on playing in the WBC, I would expect that they could keep themselves in good enough shape over the course of a month to play seven more games. 

3 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

If someone is planning on playing in the WBC, I would expect that they could keep themselves in good enough shape over the course of a month to play seven more games. 

If someone is planning on playing in the WBC, I would expect they would show up in spring training in good enough shape to play full intensity games. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

There's a difference between being in ST and leaving to play in the WBC when you would be playing games anyway, to ending your season, being off for 30 days back home with your family and then coming back to play.    Also Japan and Korea end their seasons in October.   Cuba ends their season in July.    Seems like almost everyone begins their seasons around March.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, justD said:

According to one of the guys on MLB Network Radio this morning (I think it was Jim Duquette, who was involved in the efforts to determine when to have it back when the WBC was first starting), when they asked the players they said they wouldn't want to play after the season. 

Aside from being too tired physically and too beat up from a full season as well as just getting into being back with their families after the season, JD said you also have to consider how they'd feel about making it through their pre- Free Agency season healthy, only to risk injury right when FA begins.  The majority would probably not want to risk it right at that moment. 

You could argue that injuries in the spring could affect that too, especially if they have a full season out like Diaz will be having, but I think the impact is different if the injury occurs 9 months before the offseason rather than right when the offseason starts. 

Yeah that definitely makes sense from the players point of view. From the owners/selfish fans point of view, it makes less sense. 

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There's a difference between being in ST and leaving to play in the WBC when you would be playing games anyway, to ending your season, being off for 30 days back home with your family and then coming back to play.    Also Japan and Korea end their seasons in October.   Cuba ends their season in July.    Seems like almost everyone begins their seasons around March.

Yeah that makes sense. I think I just selfishly want to discourage orioles players from playing in it and risking injury right before the season. 

On 3/17/2023 at 6:15 PM, Can_of_corn said:

That sounds really reasonable.

But I would not be surprised if the data was parsed and it wasn't true.

I also don't think in today's game that anyone is showing up to ST in anything less than full ready to go shape. 

Timing for hitters and feel for pitchers that take time in my opinion. It's not to get in game shape anymore really, though pitchers need to ramp up. I do agree it's not like spring training is the first time these guys have worked out since September!