O's in World Baseball Classic

rm5678

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've kinda landed wrong and twisted my knee a number of times as an old person.  I've done it while being much heavier than Diaz.  I've never needed surgery after.

I think odds are good that some pre-existing issue was at play.

I don't want to know why you were jumping up and down.  I'm assuming it was at a Phish concert or something.  Gross.

53 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I’m not saying we should cancel it or anything. And I am fully aware that my opinion doesn’t matter. I’m simply explaining why an injury in spring training is different for me than an injury in the WBC. That’s why I mention them playing for a team that I don’t care about. And I feel like it’s probably a similar feeling from team ownership and front office folks. I’m sure everyone in the Mets front office is probably pissed right now. 

There's no good time for an injury.  Like I said, I think Diaz was going to hurt that knee regardless.  

Cohen's tweet was brief:

Not a lot to glean from that, although you're probably correct in that what he's saying behind closed doors is different than what he's tweeting.  I'm inclined to agree that their FO is pissed but what are they gonna do?  

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't want to know why you were jumping up and down.  I'm assuming it was at a Phish concert or something.  Gross.

There's no good time for an injury.  Like I said, I think Diaz was going to hurt that knee regardless.  

Cohen's tweet was brief:

Not a lot to glean from that, although you're probably correct in that what he's saying behind closed doors is different than what he's tweeting.  I'm inclined to agree that their FO is pissed but what are they gonna do?  

Hey now, don’t hate on Phish. I’m not a huge fan of their recorded music, but they are great musicians that are a lot of fun to see live. I’m mostly just hoping for them to play covers though lol.

But back to the topic, you very well may be right that he would have hurt it eventually anyway. I’m not really arguing against that. My initial comment was more in agreement to someone saying that we’d feel a lot differently if it were Adley and I think that’s true for most Orioles fans. 

But it goes both ways. I’m sure people from Puerto Rico were happy to see Diaz out there, even if he got hurt. Mets FO and fans are probably pretty upset. Mets fans that actually care about the WBC are naturally going to feel less upset than those that don’t. 

Edited by RarityFlaherty

13 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Hey now, don’t hate on Phish. I’m not a huge fan of their recorded music, but they are great musicians that are a lot of fun to see live. I’m mostly just hoping for them to play covers though lol.

He just knows that as far as Jam Bands go I'm team Blues Traveler.

8 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

But back to the topic, you very well may be right that he would have hurt it eventually anyway. I’m not really arguing against that. My initial comment was more in agreement to someone saying that we’d feel a lot differently if it were Adley and I think that’s true for most Orioles fans. 

But it goes both ways. I’m sure people from Puerto Rico were happy to see Diaz out there, even if he got hurt. Mets FO and fans are probably pretty upset. Mets fans that actually care about the WBC are naturally going to feel less upset than those that don’t. 

Phish is fine.  It's low on the stuff I like to listen to but every once in awhile I do listen to them.  I've got no interest in going to a show of theirs though.

We would feel different if it was Adley or Gunnar but if they feel the need to represent their country, I'm not going to say they shouldn't.  Diaz and all the rest of these guys know there's a risk to getting hurt like this but they do it anyway.  The teams know there's a risk, too.  So all the cards are on the table, everyone knows what's at stake.

21 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

When does Kremer come back as Israel is eliminated?

Israel played their last game, in Miami, Wednesday.   I assume he drove back to the Sarasota region yesterday, and unless Hyde says take a day off, no reason he isn't back with the team today.

19 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

I’m not saying we should cancel it or anything. And I am fully aware that my opinion doesn’t matter. I’m simply explaining why an injury in spring training is different for me than an injury in the WBC. That’s why I mention them playing for a team that I don’t care about. And I feel like it’s probably a similar feeling from team ownership and front office folks. I’m sure everyone in the Mets front office is probably pissed right now. 

I'm sure it's like when Man City has a player injured in the Euros or the World Cup.  They don't like it, but they have long since accepted the fact that the club team is not the only thing that matters. Sports are entertainment, and a large number of fans LOVE competitions like this.

On 3/16/2023 at 12:38 AM, UMDTerrapins said:

Disagree. MLB wants WBC, teams....they just put up with it. But the more this damages the Mets competitively and devalues the 5 year extension (richest for a reliever in MLB history) that they just signed, the more teams aren't going to be willing to risk their top assets without some level of protection. Maybe they can insure contracts against WBC participation, but I think it's more likely that the WBC loses some star power in the future, as teams won't want to risk their financial investments. And I won't blame them one iota. If I sign a player to a $100+ million dollar contract, I expect either exclusivity of their services, or contractual protection from injury that devalues the consideration that I paid for. This was bound to happen eventually. It will change things. 

I 100% agree with you. If I'm signing a big time player that integral to the success of my team, I don't want him playing for ANY other team, including these made up WBC teams. I do think season ending injuries to major stars could certainly make teams consider adding clauses moving forward. 

Remember, MLB wants this because it's a money maker and they think other countries will get into baseball more. The WBC should be right after the World Series, not right before the baseball season. It makes my skin crawl to say this, but I agree with Scherzer on that piece. The games would mean more because players are not in "spring training mode." This is especially true with starting pitchers who can only throw so many pitches in these games.

Diaz's injury was a freak injury (though I hope it stops these ridiculous crazy celebrations where players jump up and down and beat each other silly during walk offs/wins), so they may shrug it off, but I know if Diaz was the Orioles closer I'd be furious too. 

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, Frobby said:

Funny, I haven’t seen players jumping around celebrating when they win a spring training game!   The intensity of the competition is greater and, it seems to me, the odds of a mishap are higher.   And whether or not I’m right about that (I’ll admit I could be wrong), I think some teams will see it that way.  It also feels easier for a team to justify it if a player gets hurt while doing things for that team, as opposed to doing the same things for some other team that isn’t paying his salary.

This is such a simple and correct take that I don't see how anyone can disagree. The intensity of players "playing for real" vs spring training is much different. Players are human and competitors at the highest level, so when you start telling them they are "playing for their country" they are going to play for real and clearly celebrations are a part of that. 

I would be able to enjoy the WBC if it were after the season, not before, and even then, I really would not want my top pitchers or prospects participating if they had reached their pitching limit for the year.

21 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I could be wrong, but this thread would have a decidedly different tone if it had been Adley rolling around on the ground. 

Absolutely. The WBC "supporters" are like "injuries happen," "could of happened to anyone," "it's no big deal," "it's a freak injury," but if we had just lost our catcher for the year because of some dumb exhibition tournament they would be up in arms.

The injury risk and pitchers potentially not getting the work they need to be ready for the season are the two biggest issues I have with the WBC in the spring time. I get it that people enjoy watching baseball, I do too, but they really need to find a way to not affect the regular season and if I'm a team owner, I'm putting in clauses that preclude them from playing in the WBC if it stays in the spring time.

• Upvote 3