Orioles 2023 Spring Training Tracker

Tony-OH

@Tony-OH In case you weren't listening today (Sunday 3/5) and just go by stats, Baumann had a pretty impressive display of focus under pressure after loading the bases in his first inning, striking out the next three batters in a row.  Stats might not reflect this, and I'm not sure how much you use simple box score lines to report an outing. 

I'm not a big Baumann fan, but it was sweet to see (hear) him do that!

51 minutes ago, justD said:

@Tony-OH In case you weren't listening today (Sunday 3/5) and just go by stats, Baumann had a pretty impressive display of focus under pressure after loading the bases in his first inning, striking out the next three batters in a row.  Stats might not reflect this, and I'm not sure how much you use simple box score lines to report an outing. 

I'm not a big Baumann fan, but it was sweet to see (hear) him do that!

It was, though I wasn’t thrilled that he put himself in that situation in the first place.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander working on first base drills.  I really don’t expect to see him in the OF a lot his year unless there are injuries.

It's good to see him working out there. If he can be effective over there, it lessens the need to keep anther 1st base type hitter on the roster and can use that spot on a more versatile player like Vavra.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's good to see him working out there. If he can be effective over there, it lessens the need to keep anther 1st base type hitter on the roster and can use that spot on a more versatile player like Vavra.

Yep. I really think this is the plan for AS this year. Lots of DH and occasional first and OF starts.

I don’t think they will want him in the OF too much and really, there isn’t any reason to with guys out there who are or should be better.

He will still get some time out there but I think we see that go down. He played 78% of his games last year in the OF. I’m guessing that number sees a significant drop to the 20-40% range.

7 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Are you going to add Nolan Hoffman to the list? Even if he's a long shot, there was a pretty cool article on mlb.com here about his debut in a big-league stadium the other day, and Hyde had some positive words about him. 

I've only been tracking formal invitees, but I could probably throw him in since he's been getting full innings now.

13 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Hoffman is definitely a dark horse candidate to make the club, but it’s a good story, and hey, he’s got all three of our ST saves. 

He's still quite the darkhorse. Pitching in the 9th inning of spring training games is not an indication he's being considered for the club since most of those players are minor leaguers at that point. If you see him get a full inning in the 4th or 5th inning then I believe he has a chance.

Saying that, he's helping his chances of getting a shot this year if he goes down to Norfolk and pitches well. 

• Upvote 1