2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

7 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well the key here is we now know how they used Stowers last year was not an aberration. they truly look at him a 5th OF/DH 26th man type. I'm just going to say that I disagree. 

Really poor job by Elias to not move Stowers this offseason if this is how they view him. I can guarantee there are other organizations that would be happy to have him starting. 

Clearly I disagree with their analysis of him as a player but judging by how they evaluate him, not sure why you keep him on the team since he doesn't bring enough versatility to be a 26th man.

Poor Kyle. I still believe in you Kyle, no matter what Sig's computer lineup says.

I think it is clear that is what they view him as today.  I am not sold that he will not have a chance to expand that role.  There will be injuries, there will be opportunities.  I don't think he is going to have to suffice with 200 ab or less.  He will get his chances and if he produces he will get more.  Nothing wrong with that set up or analysis.  Let's see how the season progresses.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

No but his percentage of playing time should be very high between DH and first and so far, that isn’t the case. They clearly view him as an OFer still and whole I’m ok with that scenario at times, it shouldn’t be the full time thought.

Yea I largely agree with this; that's why I'm not going to complain about everytime he's in the outfield and Stowers is on the bench.  I would think he would get anywhere from 80-100 starts in the field if he's healthy all year.

How much he gets at first is basically dependent on how well Mountcastle hits.  If Mountcastle really establishes himself as an 120 OPS+ bat- well within the range of possibilities- then he should get about 155 starts a year at first, leaving virtually nothing for anyone else.

7 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't think any of us have ever advocated that, we just want Stowers to get a legit shot before the next wave comes. It could easily be a 50-50 for both of them in RF. Many have already concluded that Stowers doesn't provide adequate defense but seem to forget that most of our Mil OFs have an adjustment period getting used to 2nd deck stadiums and the various configurations around the ML parks. Stowers wasn't regarded as a poor COF in the minors. Santander's bat is his primary benefit and he has been injury prone and his speed is slipping. DH 50% of the time increases the chance to keep him healthy and his bat in the lineup.

Sure, I agree.  Again, we all agree that Santander should see significant time in the field.  So what's the complaint?  He's in the field.

7 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I'm with you on Hays and Mullins but Santander hasn't played particularly well.  .638 OPS and pretty putrid in the outfield.  Also has played all 5 games. Giving him a day off today would've made sense.  But it is what it is.  

Sure, but it's the first week of the season.  Your starters are going to play virtually every day, because nobody is tired and nobody is hurt.

58 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think it is clear that is what they view him as today.  I am not sold that he will not have a chance to expand that role.  There will be injuries, there will be opportunities.  I don't think he is going to have to suffice with 200 ab or less.  He will get his chances and if he produces he will get more.  Nothing wrong with that set up or analysis.  Let's see how the season progresses.

It's just a very poor use of resources, something we're starting to see a trend of by Elias. If you don't view a guy as anything more than an extra park, yet his AAA stats scream something else, then try and move him for something you could use like a legitimate major reliever.

Obviously I value Stowers more than the Orioles and folks like yourself, that is fine, we're not always going to agree on players worth. But what I think we can agree on is that the Orioles don't have a limitless payroll, so if you don't value your cheap younger players, then move them to teams that may be willing to pay if they think he's an everyday guy.

The longer the Orioles bury him as the 26th man, that value decreases.

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's just a very poor use of resources, something we're starting to see a trend of by Elias. If you don't view a guy as anything more than an extra park, yet his AAA stats scream something else, then try and move him for something you could use like a legitimate major reliever.

As much as I am on board with what Elias is doing with the organization, I have to agree with this. Seems like he is the GM equivalent of a hoarder and just won't let go of guys. It's fine if he assesses Stowers/Vavra/Urias are not in our best 9-10 guys, but then why not trade them for pieces to fill actual holes? Or more prospects to keep the pipeline stocked. I still feel like some trades are coming but it's hard to watch these guys lose value every day they are riding the bench.

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Sure, I agree.  Again, we all agree that Santander should see significant time in the field.  So what's the complaint?  He's in the field.

I didn't explain well then, Santander isn't good in the field so he should be at DH more than RF. That's how we evaluate Stowers before the next prospect is ready while keeping Santanders bat in the lineup. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't really get Hays 8th. Why not swap him with Urias, who is ice cold right now? Not a big deal, just kind of odd. 

I would bat Hays ahead of Urias because he's a better hitter. 

But I think it's too small of a sample size (5 games?) to say that a particular player is ice cold.  I certainly wouldn't let that dictate my batting order. 

• Upvote 1

This lineup frustrates me because you are taking a good defender and putting them at DH, and putting a bad defender in the field. I also think it's problematic for Henderson's development to be playing him at DH often, and it speaks to Hyde's distrust of young players in general, and specifically on defense. 

That said, if this  is Hyde's "a" lineup (in his mind) then Henderson should be getting reps in RF, so that at least you can put Henderson somewhere in the field and take out Santander (since he clearly feels like Urias and Fraier are the better IF defenders)

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

This lineup frustrates me because you are taking a good defender and putting them at DH, and putting a bad defender in the field. I also think it's problematic for Henderson's development to be playing him at DH often, and it speaks to Hyde's distrust of young players in general, and specifically on defense. 

That said, if this  is Hyde's "a" lineup (in his mind) then Henderson should be getting reps in RF, so that at least you can put Henderson somewhere in the field and take out Santander (since he clearly feels like Urias and Fraier are the better IF defenders)

You have good defenders at 3B, SS, and 2B.    No big deal.     If Gunner has to DH once a week, again no big deal.

20 minutes ago, seak05 said:

This lineup frustrates me because you are taking a defender and putting them at DH, and putting a bad defender in the field. I also think it's problematic for Henderson's development to be playing him at DH often, and it speaks to Hyde's distrust of young players in general, and specifically on defense. 

#logjam. Its only going to get worse as Westburg and Norby and Ortiz work their way up.