2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, EdwinRip said:

Love being able to move Mateo all around to get his bat in the lineup.

Haha, not quite how I'd word it!  ;)  But if they are going to keep Mateo on the team, then I'm glad he's getting some reps in CF.  I trust his athleticism to play a plus defense there.    

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Well this is annoying. If he can’t hit enough for SS, why can he hit enough for CF? Also where is Hays?

Hays appeared to have spiked himself making that sliding catch in the 9th on Friday. But I agree with you regarding Mateo. It’s like the Orioles brass are addicted to him for some unknown reason, they keep inventing news ways to give him more rope.

However, I do like that they finally appear to be committing to leaving Henderson as the everyday SS. That should be his position until further notice i.e. he proves that he can’t handle it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Hays appeared to have spiked himself making that sliding catch in the 9th on Friday. But I agree with you regarding Mateo. It’s like the Orioles brass are addicted to him for some unknown reason, they keep inventing news ways to give him more rope.

However, I do like that they finally appear to be committing to leaving Henderson as the everyday SS. That should be his position until further notice i.e. he proves that he can’t handle it.

I think it's NSFW, haven't listened to it in years.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

So, Gunnar at SS, who is the 3B next season?

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

As much as I like Rogers' style, lyricism, musicality, etc... he's got a terrible voice.  And this song only highlights that!  :) Carry on...

Just because I post a piece of music does not mean I necessarily like that piece of music.

Amused To Death has some good songs, I don't think Too Much Rope is one of them.

9 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

So, Gunnar at SS, who is the 3B next season?

Westburg? Maybe Holliday at 2B? Keep Urias as utility. 

Holliday can still get a few reps at SS when Henderson rests or when he occasionally is at DH.

I’m not really a believer in platooning top tier guys like some posters. I’m more in the Atlanta Braves philosophy of player usage - let the best players play, especially when you have guys this young. I want my best guys (non-catchers playing 145-155 games) getting 600/plate appearances.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Because McKenna has options and they like Mateo.

I don’t know what McKenna has to do with it. I get that they like Mateo but there’s no justification for it. He can’t hit. And his defense isn’t elite, other than last year. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Barring Injuries if Hyde ever puts out this kind of lineup in the playoffs he should be fired

Do you really think the thought process for a playoff lineup and a Sunday day game after night game lineup are even remotely similar?  I’m not sure what the point of a statement like this is. 

Just now, waroriole said:

I don’t know what McKenna has to do with it. I get that they like Mateo but there’s no justification for it. He can’t hit. And his defense isn’t elite, other than last year. 

I think the point in bringing up McKenna was that he can be sent down when Mullins is ready and Mateo cannot. Clearly, they are not ready to lose Mateo from the organization just yet, which they almost certainly will if they try to get him through waivers. And it’s only 26 more days until they get a couple extra roster spots to play with, so it makes sense not to lose a player if you don’t have to, regardless of how most posters here view Mateo and his future contributions. If Mateo can cover CF as a backup, it greatly lessens or downright eliminates the need for McKenna. 

Half this board was ready to dump Mountcastle a few weeks ago, so I’m content to let the front office decide when it’s time to cut bait with Mateo. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

This is damning with faint praise but McKenna is a better hitter than Mateo.