Hyde on the Infield plans

Just Regular

5 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

3B Gunnar, 2B Frazier/Urias and SS Mateo is most likely what we see. Urias wont be an everyday player, I think most people here assume that he will. I just don't see how he becomes more than utility unless a trade happens. Which if a SS gets hurt it just may be the spark for a team to go after Mateo

I think Elias should have made a decision during the off-season and, since he wanted Frazier, and traded one of Urias or Mateo.  I don't think either is particularly suited for a utility role and I'd rather Gunnar concentrate on one position in his rookie year.

26 minutes ago, MijiT88 said:

3B Gunnar, 2B Frazier/Urias and SS Mateo is most likely what we see. Urias wont be an everyday player, I think most people here assume that he will. I just don't see how he becomes more than utility unless a trade happens. Which if a SS gets hurt it just may be the spark for a team to go after Mateo

https://www.mlb.com/news/gavin-lux-carted-off-with-injury

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Elias should have made a decision during the off-season and, since he wanted Frazier, and traded one of Urias or Mateo.  I don't think either is particularly suited for a utility role and I'd rather Gunnar concentrate on one position in his rookie year.

Urias seems suited to a utility role to me.  Mateo too, for that matter.  As long as they're on board with it.   It's a step down to ask either your starting SS or starting 3B who both provided value to be a utility player.    The biggest problem with Frazier is that it seemed unnecessary considering we could have plugged Urias in at 2B and had Westburg/Oritz as depth in Norfolk.

1 hour ago, MijiT88 said:

Could have been smokescreen but Elias said Urias would play mostly 3B. Unless Urias is going to the bench that suggests Gunner will be playing mostly SS. 

This from MASN in February: “[Manager Brandon Hyde and I] sat down with him yesterday. He knows that the plan is for him to play a little bit more second base than he did last year,” Elias said, “but he’ll be at third base half the time as well and is going to get a ton of playing time.”

23 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

This from MASN in February: “[Manager Brandon Hyde and I] sat down with him yesterday. He knows that the plan is for him to play a little bit more second base than he did last year,” Elias said, “but he’ll be at third base half the time as well and is going to get a ton of playing time.”

That does not sound like Gunnar will be full time 3B. 

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Urias seems suited to a utility role to me.  Mateo too, for that matter.  As long as they're on board with it.   It's a step down to ask either your starting SS or starting 3B who both provided value to be a utility player.    The biggest problem with Frazier is that it seemed unnecessary considering we could have plugged Urias in at 2B and had Westburg/Oritz as depth in Norfolk.

I think my ideal scenario (that could happen) is Urias has a hot first half with the bat, then coupled with the GG rep you trade him either solo or maybe for a bigger package. Then either Mateo goes to utility guy who can play 3b, SS, or 2B, or he plays himself off the roster due to him or the young guys pushing. 

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That does not sound like Gunnar will be full time 3B. 

Urias had 400 ABs last year so maybe if a 50-50 split, then 200 at 3B this year. Gunnar can get 450 ABs at 3B and another 150 at SS. Mateo had 500 ABs last year so maybe 450 this year depending on his bat being good enough to play. If not then more Gunnar until Ortiz-Westburg are deemed ready.

9 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Urias had 400 ABs last year so maybe if a 50-50 split, then 200 at 3B this year. Gunnar can get 450 ABs at 3B and another 150 at SS. Mateo had 500 ABs last year so maybe 450 this year depending on his bat being good enough to play. If not then more Gunnar until Ortiz-Westburg are deemed ready.

Gunnar is the big dog here.   He will likely get 600 AB if he proves to be what many project him to be.    Some at SS and some at 3B.   SS Mateo and  3B/2B Urias playing time will probably be determine by how they play, how healthy they stay and how much they contribute to the O's winning.  It will be an ongoing evaluation as will  how Ortiz, Westburg and Vavra do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:
1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

My first reaction when I heard earlier was “I hope Elias is calling the Dodgers”. Haha. 

Reminiscent of the Corey Seager injury that opened the door for the Machado trade in 2018.

The Dodgers do have Miguel Rojas and Chris Taylor at SS on the depth chart but if the Lux injury is serious, I highly suspect they'll be looking for someone better. Mateo to LA could make a ton of sense.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gunnar is the big dog here.   He will likely get 600 AB if he proves to be what many project him to be.    Some at SS and some at 3B.   SS Mateo and  3B/2B Urias playing time will probably be determine by how they play, how healthy they stay and how much they contribute to the O's winning.  It will be an ongoing evaluation as will  how Ortiz, Westburg and Vavra do.

I think that's what I was trying to say if it didn't come thru that way. I am intrigued by the Vavra experiment at 3B. Nobody foresaw Urias as a GG there but his skillset seemed to fit. Vavra, who knows.