Kyle Bradish 2023

Frobby

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

If Bradish and Grayson are TOR starters, all of the sudden the need for a TOR free agent seems to go out the window, especially given the uncertainty of the guys out there.  Yamamoto is the only guy that I would be interested in who is possible TOR, and I think he is going to go for big $$$--maybe $200mm

I disagree with this. We all love what they’ve done this year but I wouldn’t go into 24 banking on them to repeat their performances. Not yet at least. Give us another year of this level of production and we can probably feel good that it is who they are as pitchers.

They’ve both been very good but I think it would be foolish to not seek another elite starter, if for no other reason than they have all of these prospects who are ready to contribute but nowhere to play them. Can never have too much pitching  and the O’s have been extremely healthy in the rotation this year. I don’t think we can expect that same luck every year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I disagree with this. We all love what they’ve done this year but I wouldn’t go into 24 banking on them to repeat their performances. Not yet at least. Give us another year of this level of production and we can probably feel good that it is who they are as pitchers.

They’ve both been very good but I think it would be foolish to not seek another elite starter, if for no other reason than they have all of these prospects who are ready to contribute but nowhere to play them. Can never have too much pitching  and the O’s have been extremely healthy in the rotation this year. I don’t think we can expect that same luck every year.

The issue isn't looking for another elite starter.  The issue is finding one.  Would you gamble on Nola or Snell?  I wouldn't.  Who is out there that you would trade for?  Cease? My issue as much as anything is whether the right guy is available.

7 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I agree with the notion of not banking on a repeat of TOR-like performance.  But they also need to trust their guys to some degree too.  They just aren't going after an 'elite starter' paying elite starter money.  They just aren't.  Another $10-15m type contract for 1 year (2 tops) can happen.

Is availability and non-elite stuff a feature or a bug?  Gibson, Lyles, Irvin...  

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I agree with the notion of not banking on a repeat of TOR-like performance.  But they also need to trust their guys to some degree too.  They just aren't going after an 'elite starter' paying elite starter money.  They just aren't.  Another $10-15m type contract for 1 year (2 tops) can happen.

Is availability and non-elite stuff a feature or a bug?  Gibson, Lyles, Irvin...  

You can both "trust your guys" and acquire top-shelf pitching talent at the same time. It's not like acquiring Snell is going to displace Grayson or Bradish in any meaningful way.

Also, they can easily afford Snell. So as a fan, what's the drawback? 

Bradish and Grayson could still set themselves as almost anything between now and Halloween - these are the weeks the best pitchers in the world make their bones Best on Best.

Both of them could look like July Tyler Wells any day now, and have us wondering if we need Kyle Gibson back.     But maybe they can kick sand in the faces of Glasnow-Eflin, Gausman-Berrios, Wheeler-Nola, etc.

17 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

You can both "trust your guys" and acquire top-shelf pitching talent at the same time. It's not like acquiring Snell is going to displace Grayson or Bradish in any meaningful way.

Also, they can easily afford Snell. So as a fan, what's the drawback? 

As a fan I would be believing that the Orioles management are something they are not.   They have four solid starters plus Wells who is good for 15 to 20 starts.  Hall  will be stretched out in ST.  Irvin who has a 3.58 ERA in the 2nd half after they fixed him.  McDermott who is in development at AAA and  will probably be ready by mid season.  

Many didn't believe that the O's could develop Bradish and Kremer the way they have but the O's are a development organization.  They don't spend on FAs unless they have to.   And they don't have to this off season.

That is the teams approach that I have been watching for 5 years.   I don't think they will change.

If you want the O's to spend consider a 3 year contract for Means and 1/12M for Santander.  The O's know those guys fit.

Edited by wildcard

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

As a fan I would be believing that the Orioles management are something they are not.   They have four solid starters plus Wells who is good for 15 to 20 starts.  Hall  will be stretched out in ST.  Irvin who has a 3.58 ERA in the 2nd half after they fix him.  McDermott who is in development at AAA and  will probably be ready by mid season.  

Many didn't believe that the O's could develop Bradish and Kremer the way they have but the O's are a development organization.  They don't spend on FAs unless they have to.   And they don't have to this off season.

That is the teams approach that I have been watching for 5 years.   I don't think they will change.

I’m very nervous counting on Wells.  It’s not that easy to replace a starter halfway through the season. I really loved watching Wells pitch in the first half, but now we’ll always have to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  

I’m not going to speculate on what the O’s will do this winter.   The possibilities are endless.   And right now, I’ve got more enjoyable things to think about.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m very nervous counting on Wells.  It’s not that easy to replace a starter halfway through the season. I really loved watching Wells pitch in the first half, but now we’ll always have to be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  

I’m not going to speculate on what the O’s will do this winter.   The possibilities are endless.   And right now, I’ve got more enjoyable things to think about.  

Hyde has already said the Wells will be a starter next spring.  And so will Hall.

Edited by wildcard

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

As mentioned on the broadcast, Bradish’s ERA is the lowest by an Orioles’ qualified starter since Mike Mussina in 1992.  In terms of ERA+, I’ll need to see what it is in the morning, but I believe it’s the best since Bedard in 2007 (146).   

Bb-ref has Bradish at 145 OPS+, just below Bedard’s 146 in ‘07.   

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

As a fan I would be believing that the Orioles management are something they are not.   They have four solid starters plus Wells who is good for 15 to 20 starts.  Hall  will be stretched out in ST.  Irvin who has a 3.58 ERA in the 2nd half after they fixed him.  McDermott who is in development at AAA and  will probably be ready by mid season.  

If you want the O's to spend consider a 3 year contract for Means and 1/12M for Santander.  The O's know those guys fit.

Believing that we can count on Hall and Wells to be dependable starters is a fairy tale. 

You're taking the best possible scenario and trying to make it a likelihood. The O's will need a starter or two in the off-season. They could comfortably double their payroll without breaking a sweat