Jordan Westburg 2023

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Make that 3 of us who would prefer Westburg from that crowd.

I’d probably prefer that, too.  But if we are going to trade for pitching, I want the best pitcher I can get.  If that means giving up the best prospect we can afford to lose, so be it.   I think he and Ortiz are very close in value.  Norby is a step behind.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d probably prefer that, too.  But if we are going to trade for pitching, I want the best pitcher I can get.  If that means giving up the best prospect we can afford to lose, so be it.   I think he and Ortiz are very close in value.  Norby is a step behind.  

I'm with you here @Frobby. My top priority and concern is getting the best starting pitcher on the Orioles that we can. If Westburg and Ortiz are close and a team prefers Westburg, that's fine with me, as long as what's coming back can go in the #1 slot in our rotation.

It seems clear to me, that a 2B is not going to make or break the chances for the Baltimore Orioles success. Shoot we just excelled during a month in which a much better player/prospect in Gunnar gave us very little. But I do believe we will be broken if there are not drastic improvements with the starting pitching.

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

2-4 on Saturday, including his 8th HR. Now at .346 / .404 / .615 on the season. 

In his last 12 games he has 22 hits in 50 ABs, including 3 doubles, 5 HRs, and 19 RBI. 

He looked major league ready in spring training, and the first month in AAA has just confirmed it.  He doesn't belong in AAA.  But barring an injury, my guess is he stays in AAA until the trade deadline.  Or Elias pulls an Ortiz or Stowers and brings up Westburg for a week as a short term replacement, plays in half the games, and then goes back down to AAA...

4 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I do wonder, why not stick him in the outfield with the obvious logjam of IF talent. Maybe they are selling him as SS/3B for a future trade.

Of whose future? Do you mean that we are trying to showcase him for a future trade? Because he has literally no shot of ever playing SS on a regular basis for the Orioles. I don’t even see where he would fit in our outfield. When Santander moves to a more regular DH in opinion that will be to make room for Cowser out there.

On 5/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, btdart20 said:

Are you saying Adley's rise from a .234/.322/.306 as a freshman is part of maturing as a man and a player?  There's a deeper life lesson in Adley's story when we pause to think about it.  He wasn't born the 1.1 pick or a top tier MLB catcher/hitter either.

No he wasn’t born as that, but he ALWAYS had that type of talent and upside. Most great players have a bunch of natural ability and they have to refine those things through development.

We are not going to ‘develop’ a guy into becoming the next Adley. And the odds are EXTREMELY LOW that we can continue to find those type of talents in succession.

Made his first error of the year today.  Ist AB.  Called out on outside pitch. Challenge to robot ump which showed it was 2-3 inches outside for ball 4.  2nd AB. A rope to the LF out.  3rd AB.  Didn't see. Described by game day as a line out to 2B.  4th AB.  Long flyout to LF.  He knew he just missed it.

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ist AB.  Called out on outside pitch. Challenge to robot ump which showed it was 2-3 inches outside for ball 4. 

Maybe that will be the last straw, and now Gunnar Henderson will just ask Mike Elias pretty please can he go back to AAA if you get to do that there.

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:31 PM, deward said:

Someone is getting traded, for sure, but I'm going to keep hoping it's not Westburg. Ortiz and Norby are both more expendable to me, especially if Mateo keeps playing well. 

For some reason, I see Ortiz as our second baseman and Norby in left or DH or utility. I think we trade Westburg or Gunnar with the other playing third. I like Ortiz the best of those three mentioned.