Os shopping OPACY naming rights?

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

It's just giving the stadium a lame name so the Angelos's can pocket more money.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So, make extra money. It’s a business and more revenue is a good thing.

@glenn__davis isn't SG's point kind of the point? If the O's make more money, some of it will certainly go to John Angelos. But that's a given. Doesn't a healthier top line give more options to run the team?

Personally, I think "[Insert Sponsor Name] Park at Camden Yards" would be a minor change, and we'd all still call it Camden Yards for the most part.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I kind of don't care. If Camden Yards remains in the title, then everyone will continue to say Camden Yards. We'll hear the full name one time at the beginning of each broadcast and our lives will otherwise be completely unchanged. 

I sort of agree.  I think everyone will still call it Camden Yards.  Or refer to it online as OPACY.  

But I would bet that anyone who purchases the naming rights would completely axe Camden Yards.  It's not going to be Rocket Mortgage Field at Camden Yards, it'll just be Rocket Mortgage Field...they wouldn't want to give anyone a way to shorten it to just Camden Yards, even though they know an older contingent of fan (us) is still calling it that.  It would be more aimed at newer fans who don't know any better and would call it Rocket Mortgage Field.  

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

@glenn__davis isn't SG's point kind of the point? If the O's make more money, some of it will certainly go to John Angelos. But that's a given. Doesn't a healthier top line give more options to run the team?

Personally, I think "[Insert Sponsor Name] Park at Camden Yards" would be a minor change, and we'd all still call it Camden Yards for the most part.

But it doesn't really go to him, using the Washington Football team as his own bank account is what ultimately cost Danny Snyder his ownership.  I am pretty sure JA is paid a salary for his position and there is oversight to insure there is no mingling of funds (Angelos/Orioles).  He also has to answer to his minority partners (again where Snyder fails).  If there is additional revenue above expenses it doesn't simply go into JA's pocket-it's the Orioles money and I would guess after the past few years there is a big chunk of change sitting there.  I would also guess that JA and the executive team receive a bonus tied to profitability but it is small compared to salary.

Can someone please explain to me how a team that doesn't own the stadium in which it plays is able to rename it (and collect a fee)? I'm sure it's something unique to a sport's team's lease agreement, but it still baffles me. And how does the Maryland Stadium Authority factor into all of this (i.e., do they get a cut) and does the new name need to be pass through the MD Board of Public Works for approval? 

11 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

As long as they don't call it Preparation H Arena, I don't care who the sponsor is or what they call it.

You mean you would be ok with the Summer's Eve Douche Stadium or do you just draw the line at butthole cream? ;) 

• Haha 2