Ramon Urias 2023

Just Regular

Any idea what grade we're dealing with?

It's kind of wild how O's fans haven't really blinked at this injury, but Ramon is our 4th best position player based on fWAR. He's clutch as hell, too. We have a lot of nice depth, but some players are going to have to step up in his absence. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's kind of wild how O's fans haven't really blinked at this injury, but Ramon is our 4th best position player based on fWAR. He's clutch as hell, too. We have a lot of nice depth, but some players are going to have to step up in his absence. 

He's on the 10 day IL.  I don't think it's too bad.

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think the prospect playing time logjam is such that any hitter injury besides Adley, and to a lesser extent Mullins/Mountcastle, is filled somewhat seamlessly. 

Not that anyone wants to see injuries, but I think the mild reaction comes from being just as curious to see the next guy up.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Hyde made a remark that Urias was going to be out “for some time.”   I didn’t like the sound of it.  

I heard that he was taking soft toss, but that ain’t running. It’s such a long season. That’s why the whole “run” everything out is ridiculous. Mateo had the hip injury. That’s two GG infielders we’d be down from “running” things out. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I heard that he was taking soft toss, but that ain’t running. It’s such a long season. That’s why the whole “run” everything out is ridiculous. Mateo had the hip injury. That’s two GG infielders we’d be down from “running” things out. 

It was a base hit. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Did you see the play where Urias got hurt?  He wasn’t running that hard.  He hit a clean single to LF, the kind where there’s no chance someone’s going to try to throw to 1B and no chance it can be stretched into a double.  Urias wasn’t really busting it, he just pulled up lame about halfway up the line.

When we got Frazier this winter, one of the few justifications I could think of is that Urias has proven to be a bit injury prone.  I believe he’s now been on the IL in each of his four seasons.   

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

If I remember correctly, Elias said last night in his interview he could see Urias being back in the lineup for the Rangers series which is next weekend.

I can't help but believe Urias has to be traded prior to the deadline this year.  I like him and think he brings a lot of the offense and defense to this team but he just seems kind of redundant with Ortiz and Westburg on the way.

Anyone have any thoughts on what his trade value is? Could we package him with someone like Norby to the Marlins Dodgers for a quality SP?

9 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If I remember correctly, Elias said last night in his interview he could see Urias being back in the lineup for the Rangers series which is next weekend.

I can't help but believe Urias has to be traded prior to the deadline this year.  I like him and think he brings a lot of the offense and defense to this team but he just seems kind of redundant with Ortiz and Westburg on the way.

Anyone have any thoughts on what his trade value is? Could we package him with someone like Norby to the Marlins Dodgers for a quality SP?

I don’t think we trade Urias. We need his bat and Glove. We’re trying to win this year. Norby is a trade chip but contenders don’t trade for minor leaguers. Norby would be a guy we would like to include in a deal for a SP. 

9 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

People seem to ignore that we have the 2nd best record in baseball and look to be a serious contender. I don't understand the urge to move a solid veteran contributor to the team in order to move forward with unknowns in the middle of a playoff race.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

People seem to ignore that we have the 2nd best record in baseball and look to be a serious contender. I don't understand the urge to move a solid veteran contributor to the team in order to move forward with unknowns in the middle of a playoff race.

I don't think I am ignoring our record at all.  Urias doesn't have a place as an every day player on our roster when Frazier is going to get all the 2B starts against RHP.

Trading Urias is about maximizing resources to improve an area of weakness (starting pitching).  I believe his part time role on the team can be more than covered by Ortiz and or Westburg. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I don't think I am ignoring our record at all.  Urias doesn't have a place as an every day player on our roster when Frazier is going to get all the 2B starts against RHP.

Trading Urias is about maximizing resources to improve an area of weakness (starting pitching).  I believe his part time role on the team can be more than covered by Ortiz and or Westburg. 

Then back to your original question - Urias and Norby will not return a SP better than anything we currently have in the rotation.

Urias provides the current team with more value than anything he would help return in a trade.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Then back to your original question - Urias and Norby will not return a SP better than anything we currently have in the rotation.

Urias provides the current team with more value than anything he would help return in a trade.

If he is as good as you believe him to be than this would be a false statement.