Westburg's EVs

Tony-OH

11 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Well, its a real thing, Tony. Call it what you want. I'm not saying Frazier is a great expenditure, as that remains to be seen. But, very successful and smart baseball executives and managers believe this to be a valuable commodity. 

I completely believe in veteranosity.  But ideally, you’d get from (1) a well above-average player at a position of need, or (2) a dirt cheap player.   Frazier is neither.  $8 mm seems like a big overpay for veteranosity given the alternatives we had.   That said, I’m still looking forward to having a better player than Odor at 2B, and will enjoy Frazier’s low K rate. 

I really do hate the fact that this thread isn’t more focused on the good spring Westburg is having, especially lately.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I completely believe in veteranosity.  But ideally, you’d get from (1) a well above-average player at a position of need, or (2) a dirt cheap player.   Frazier is neither.  $8 mm seems like a big overpay for veteranosity given the alternatives we had.   That said, I’m still looking forward to having a better player than Odor at 2B, and will enjoy Frazier’s low K rate. 

I really do hate the fact that this thread isn’t more focused on the good spring Westburg is having, especially lately.  

Well, it’s hard to get excited about the notion of a player playing so well and having such a solid upside knowing that our GM made a moronic move to block that player.

Im so excited Norfolk will win more games!

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, just think of the total money in general.

McCann, Frazier, OHearn, Gibson and Givens.

Even if you don’t mind any/some of these moves, is this the best way to spend almost $27M?

This is almost half the active payroll that you are spending on guys that are likely to be pretty mediocre overall.

Probably not the best way to spend $27 million. Probably also not the best idea to trade away Jorge Looez. Even if he wasn’t Zach Britton, he still is looking like Brad Brach. 

Realistically, we need a buyer for Mateo or Urias. Westburg is ready. I think we should keep all of Gunnar, Urias, Mateo, Westburg, and Frazier for the OD roster. We can rotate them in. 

Ideally, we could sell Mateo to the Dodgers, but that probably wouldn’t have happened. Maybe their SS combo starts out 7-100, but then again so could Mateo. 

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it’s hard to get excited about the notion of a player playing so well and having such a solid upside knowing that our GM made a moronic move to block that player.

Im so excited Norfolk will win more games!

If Westburg is that good, he’ll find his opportunity soon enough.  That’s my feeling.  I just want to see him excel, wherever in our system it is.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

That was why I mentioned Frank Robinson and Dustin Pedroia. I agree that Frazier was a curious move for the money. And like you, I am waiting to see what happens before making any judgement. Somehow, that makes me an Elias apologist. Whatever. 

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Vavra homers, reminding us that even he would likely be just as good, if not better, than the $8M Frazier. 

As a usual defender of Elias, this signing continues to make zero sense whatsoever. 

I'm not in camp Vavra, I question if he brings enough defense to the table (and I'm not even a big defense first guy).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Man, I really hope Westburg makes the team.  All he does is go out, play hard, and put up numbers.  My #1 wish going into ST was that he forced his way onto the team.  Fingers crossed! 

I'm the same, but it's going to take some injuries for him to get ML AB, I think. Next year no Frazier and hopefully Mateo is gone after he shows he's not a ML hitter.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Man, I really hope Westburg makes the team.  All he does is go out, play hard, and put up numbers.  My #1 wish going into ST was that he forced his way onto the team.  Fingers crossed! 

I'd like to see Westburg go wherever he'll get regular AB's. If thats in Norfolk then I want him to start there. 

It does Westburg no good to sit on the bench.

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

He's rocketing the ball now, If he can at least be an average 2B, I dont see how Elias can keep him off the team. 

We can only hope both Frazier and Mateo hit.  That would be good for the team but also put us into a strong position at the deadline and next off season.    I’m the eternal optimist so I focus on Mateo’s 4 walks and my observation that he’s been staying back and going to RF quite a bit this spring.  Crossed fingers.    As for Frazier, I don’t know what I should be looking for.   He makes a lot of contact but I’ve noticed a lot of ground balls and not too many line drives.  Crossed fingers.

Ortiz is probably just as ready as Westburg but Westburg’s a big boy with big boy power.

• Like 1