Kjerstad. Why not?

rudyrooster

4 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

It would not have been a jump to start him at AA this year. It was fairly obvious that is where he was going to start.

He had a 86 wRC+ in 186 PA in high A last year. Nothing in his performance at that level indicated that he was forcing a promotion to AA. It was his AFL and spring training performance that did that, that’s my point. He’s come a long way in a short period of time. 

Why not?  I could give a series of answers, some maybe more relevant that others.

1. He's never been on a professional opening day roster at any level.

2. He's never had a professional at-bat above AA.

3. He's never played a complete professional season.

4. He's not on the 40 man.

5. Service time considerations.

I'm loving what he's doing this spring, and it probably is, as other's have mentioned, the single most positive development of this spring.  But there is literally 0% chance he's on the opening day roster.  And I would say it is very unlikely he'll even reach the majors this season.

• Upvote 1

I'm with the OP. Obviously it won't (and perhaps arguably shouldn't) happen, but I feel 100% confident that the guy would succeed in the MLs right now. Just going off gut and eyeballs because there isn't any data to actually go on yet. Just something I believe would be true. 

2 hours ago, Pickles said:

Bedard and Brian Roberts while both drafted in 1999 were in the O's system in the years you mentioned.  Your larger point is of course correct, but perhaps not quite that dire.

I should have been more clear.  I was talking about players drafted in that window, not players in the system.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I should have been more clear.  I was talking about players drafted in that window, not players in the system.  

I was being fairly pedantic.  But I always associate those three as they were so clearly our best players for a long time, and they were almost literally the only thing of value our farm system produced in about 25 years.

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Probably would have been a ground out to SS last year, a hard hit ground ball about 5-7 feet to the 1B side of 2B.

Instead he's rewarded for a nice up-the-middle approach and hitting the ball hard. Maybe I actually like the switch ban after all... Hmm

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Instead he's rewarded for a nice up-the-middle approach and hitting the ball hard. Maybe I actually like the switch ban after all... Hmm

I don’t like it in principle, but I like the actuality of it, if that makes sense.  

23 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

He had a 86 wRC+ in 186 PA in high A last year. Nothing in his performance at that level indicated that he was forcing a promotion to AA. It was his AFL and spring training performance that did that, that’s my point. He’s come a long way in a short period of time. 

It’s the Aberdeen effect. That’s why I’m against sending Holliday there. Send them both to AA. Both are not very far away. 

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s the Aberdeen effect. That’s why I’m against sending Holliday there. Send them both to AA. Both are not very far away. 

Are we afraid his spirit will be crushed by playing for a while in a pitcher’s park?   I’m not.  Put him to it. 

• Upvote 1