Adley Rutschman 2023

SilverRocket

How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. How many WAR will Adley Rutschman get in 2023?

Rutschman is 74 PA away from 700 with 16 team games to go.

Even that year the Royals let Salvador Perez chase 50 HR on a 90-loss team because he'd won them a World Series in the past and why not he only managed 665.

I don't expect a deployment pattern change but his talent is on a new frontier of being taxed the same as the pitchers working up towards championship caliber capacity.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

In a disappointing year he is going to put up 4WAR.  Not bad.  He looks exhausted.  They need to find a better way to get him through a full season next year factoring in extra workload in 2023 playoffs and 2024 playoffs as well.  

I think the drop in D & power is a function of being overworked.  Still 1+ year away from Basallo helping out.  

He was rode hard in the early part of the season.  A lot of folks here think that being a DH counts as a day off, I don't agree.

Without looking it up thoroughly, if October is kind to us, I'd guess that '23 Rutschman will take more PA than any catcher in MLB history.

A few career highs: Bench 653, Realmuto 593, Posey 623, Piazza 633, Posada 624, Old Pudge 658, Young Pudge 685

That 685 for Age 24 Ivan Rodriguez on the 1996 Rangers then got 18 more in an ALDS loss to the Yankees, so 700 including postseason has been scraped once.

Good Orioles seasons end with Rutsch at 750+

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

In a disappointing year he is going to put up 4WAR.  Not bad.  He looks exhausted.  They need to find a better way to get him through a full season next year factoring in extra workload in 2023 playoffs and 2024 playoffs as well.  

I think the drop in D & power is a function of being overworked.  Still 1+ year away from Basallo helping out.  

115ish games catching and 20-25 games DH. That’s it.

According to baseball reference, it appears that Adley has appeared in every game this year with only 5 games that he was scheduled not to start at all (but he pinch hit)

If that is correct, that is horrible. 

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Rutschman is 74 PA away from 700 with 16 team games to go.

Even that year the Royals let Salvador Perez chase 50 HR on a 90-loss team because he'd won them a World Series in the past and why not he only managed 665.

I don't expect a deployment pattern change but his talent is on a new frontier of being taxed the same as the pitchers working up towards championship caliber capacity.

He’s only 59 PA off the MLB leader (Semien). Pretty wild.  

Edited by emmett16

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

115ish games catching and 20-25 games DH. That’s it.

According to baseball reference, it appears that Adley has appeared in every game this year with only 5 games that he was scheduled not to start at all (but he pinch hit)

If that is correct, that is horrible. 

There were definitely a few games where he didn't play at all but your overall point stands.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

There were definitely a few games where he didn't play at all but your overall point stands.

That’s what I thought to.

BBR has his usage as 100 games at C, 41 DH and 5 PH.

Now, maybe he pinch hit and caught or DH and they put that down twice? 

Either way, he hasn’t missed many games completely and that’s horrible management of a catcher. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s what I thought to.

BBR has his usage as 100 games at C, 41 DH and 5 PH.

Now, maybe he pinch hit and caught or DH and they put that down twice? 

Either way, he hasn’t missed many games completely and that’s horrible management of a catcher. 

They have his total games played at 140, which would give him only 6 full games off all season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree that he looks worn down. 

But is everyone pearl clutching here if we haven’t lost three straight?  If he doesn’t hit into that double play last night is everyone still freaking out?

So, You mean if he doesn’t continue to struggle and look awful, would people mention him looking awful and struggling?

Like, I know this is your schtick and you have to do this stuff but no, I can tell you that if he was hitting and coming through and not struggling and driving the ball, people would not be talking about him not doing those things because, you know….he would be doing those things.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

So, You mean if he doesn’t continue to struggle and look awful, would people mention him looking awful and struggling?

Like, I know this is your schtick and you have to do this stuff but no, I can tell you that if he was hitting and coming through and not struggling and driving the ball, people would not be talking about him not doing those things because, you know….he would be doing those things.

No wonder @Frobbyslapped your hand for mischaracterizing his post earlier.  If we're talking about "schtick," yours is to consistently misrepresent and slightly twist a post to suit some sort of argument that you're dying to make.  I don't even know if you're aware that you do this but you're like the Jean Claude Van Damme of it. 

Let's look at what I wrote:  

I agree that he looks worn down. 

But is everyone pearl clutching here if we haven’t lost three straight?  If he doesn’t hit into that double play last night is everyone still freaking out?

I said that I agree that he looks worn down.  If you could set your ego aside for 30 seconds, you'd see that I agree with you that he's played way, way too much.  I don't believe DH-ing counts as a full day off...yes, it's not as much wear and tear as crouching behind home plate but it still invites dings and some amount of wear and tear.  

One more time for the slow people:

This thread has been completely dormant for three weeks up until 13 hours ago, no one had made a post in here since August 29th.  So yeah, Adley's been struggling but no one's been pissed off about it enough to bump this thread (you included) until the aftermath of last night where he roped one right at the 2nd baseman and also hit into that double play that killed a rally.  Last night extended a losing streak to three games and it was a game against our competition for the AL East Crown.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if we win that game last night (Adley coming through in that situation or not, doesn't matter) that this thread isn't bumped and no one's talking about how poorly he's been hitting.

In other words, this board loves a whipping boy (even though some of the criticism leveled at him has been warranted) and Adley is becoming one because he hasn't been as good as he's been last year.  And suddenly, the team isn't winning.  In other words, winning games and being up 4 or 5 on the Rays would make everyone forget about how he hasn't been performing.

So...to your point:

Funny thing, no one had mentioned for three weeks that he wasn't doing those things until last night.  Might have been some mention of it in the game thread but no one's been coming to the table with it in the general forum because winning and first place masks everything.  Which was my initial point all along.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 4

To @Moose Milligan’s point, everything gets magnified when the team hits a bump in the road.  It’s natural.  It’s easier to focus on the positives and downplay the negatives when things are going well, and vice versa when things are going poorly.  

The team has played 145 games, and Adley’s started 135, 95 at catcher and 40 as DH.  This month, he had one full day off, has DH’d 5 times, and caught 7.   So, that’s not really a very heavy catching workload of late.  I do think he’ll probably need another full day off soon, considering the team is in the midst of playing 17 days in a row.  It’s not going to happen in the Tampa series, I’m pretty sure.  

• Upvote 2