Cole Irvin 2023

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I was with you and fully supported the approach UNTIL this offseason where we stood still. And then you had the embarrassing but revealing comments of the owner.

Can I ask you because you seem to be very satisfied with how we are operating currently: How do you think that we see get from where we are (borderline playoff contention) to the point where we are (serious championship contention) given all of the level of completion that we have to go through in the AL?

Continue on the trajectory they currently are on.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It's just silly complaining about not playing World Series games in APRIL!  You're literally demanding the impossible.

To get to the World Series, first they have to make the playoffs.  That's what they're competing to do.

It's a baseball season.  Nobody has won or lost anything yet.

I get all of that. By the way, you sound just like my Dad. Are you him and I don’t know it? LOL 😂 

When I mention contention, I’m speaking of increasing reasonable odds based on the talent we have and given the talent of our competition of being successful when we have to play the best teams with our season on the line. Like if we have to match up in a big regular season series or a playoff series, with our best started vs yours. Kind of like last years big Blue Jay series toward the end of the regular season at home. I believe it was a 4 game series, where we got our hat handed to us. Or the final 2 games against the Rays when we had similar results. One of which we gave the game away starting DL Hall.

If we find ourselves in a similar spot this year, has anything changed regarding our roster that would give you more confidence that we would come out on top?

37 minutes ago, Pickles said:

So anyone who can evaluate talent thinks the O's should currently be in the middle of a dynastic run?

You might want to go check those preseason predictions.

The Orioles are at the start of a dynastic run.

What are your predictions for the team this year and over the next five years since you know so much? Or do you just like questioning people without adding any interesting input of your own?

Either way, I'll circle back on this post at the end of the year.

Edited by Brooks The Great

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I get all of that. By the way, you sound just like my Dad. Are you him and I don’t know it? LOL 😂 

When I mention contention, I’m speaking of increasing reasonable odds based on the talent we have and given the talent of our competition of being successful when we have to play the best teams with our season on the line. Like if we have to match up in a big regular season series or a playoff series, with our best started vs yours. Kind of like last years big Blue Jay series toward the end of the regular season at home. I believe it was a 4 game series, where we got our hat handed to us. Or the final 2 games against the Rays when we had similar results. One of which we gave the game away starting DL Hall.

If we find ourselves in a similar spot this year, has anything changed regarding our roster that would give you more confidence that we would come out on top?

This roster is much better than last year's roster, so yeah, I have more confidence in them.

That doesn't mean they'll outperform last year's team, though I expect them to.  But that talent is better.

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Continue on the trajectory they currently are on.

Would you be willing to speak with more specificity about what that statement means to you? 

How do you see us bridging the talent gap of starting pitching beyond hope and luck?

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

The Orioles are at the start of a dynastic run.

What are your predictions for the team this year and over the next five years since you know so much? Or do you just like questioning people without adding any interesting input of your own?

Either way, I'll circle back on this post at the end of the year.

I wouldn't even go so far as to say they're at the start of a dynastic run.  We don't know that.  I'm fairly certain they are at the beginning of a competitve run.

What I do know is it is silly to be bemoaning the fact they are not in the middle of a dynastic run now, which is what I was responding to.

I have them winning in the mid 80s this year, with some breaks I think they could  make the playoffs.

Going forward I except them to be better in the upcoming years.  Some of that will be from external acquisitions, but most of it will be from internal improvements.

2 minutes ago, Pickles said:

This roster is much better than last year's roster, so yeah, I have more confidence in them.

That doesn't mean they'll outperform last year's team, though I expect them to.  But that talent is better.

Is it better though?  I mean, you have a full season of Adley and Gunnar and I guess Felix although you had Lopez last year dominating as well.

Who did we add to this team, besides giving those guys a full season (although they were still here last year), that upgraded the talent on the roster?

Frazier over Odor? Ok, I agree there although I doubt Frazier moves the needle at all and he is blocking more talented players, so he could end up being a net loss.

Who else?

Or are you just saying that the young guys have another year under their belts ?

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Would you be willing to speak with more specificity about what that statement means to you? 

How do you see us bridging the talent gap of starting pitching beyond hope and luck?

Grayson Rodriguez needs more than 9 ML innings before I'm going to say he can't be an ace.  I'd like to see Bradish pitch more than 1 1/3 innings this year before I say he can't be a successful ML pitcher.

Is that hope?  Maybe.  Is it preposterous?  I don't think so.

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

We don’t have to just be better than we were, (I know you know this part so I don’t want to come off as condescending) but we have to be better than our competitors. 

I don’t see any world where a rational/sane person is picking our 3/4 starting pitchers over the Yanks, Rays, Guardians, Astros, or Mariners. - That’s five count them 5 teams that have WAY better pitchers than we do. What approach do you suggest that we take to plan to beat them in the FALL? 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Is it better though?  I mean, you have a full season of Adley and Gunnar and I guess Felix although you had Lopez last year dominating as well.

Who did we add to this team, besides giving those guys a full season (although they were still here last year), that upgraded the talent on the roster?

Frazier over Odor? Ok, I agree there although I doubt Frazier moves the needle at all and he is blocking more talented players, so he could end up being a net loss.

Who else?

Or are you just saying that the young guys have another year under their belts ?

It's the young guys getting more experience- and that includes guys we don't consider young but actually still are, namely Hays and Mountcastle.

I think Frazier/Gibson is a fairly notable upgrage over Lyles/Odor.

I think Grayson being in the rotation can be a big upgrade.

Now, it comes down to the pitching.  If Kremer, Bradish, and Voth just revert to pumpkins this year I think we'll be hard pressed to match last year's win total.  But I still feel much better about the overall roster this year than last.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

113 wins?

You see this team going 106-43 for the rest of the season?

That would be as silly a prediction as locking them in at 82 wins this year because of their 7-6 start.  Which was my point.

This team and franchise is on the upswing.  There's no doubt about that.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We don’t have to just be better than we were, (I know you know this part so I don’t want to come off as condescending) but we have to be better than our competitors. 

I don’t see any world where a rational/sane person is picking our 3/4 starting pitchers over the Yanks, Rays, Guardians, Astros, or Mariners. - That’s five count them 5 teams that have WAY better pitchers than we do. What approach do you suggest that we take to plan to beat them in the FALL? 

Today?  Of course not.

This is a process.  It takes time.