Burnes hires Boras

Sports Guy

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I won't be surprised if next year's offseason will end up like the disaster that this offseason was, even though it shouldn't be.

The Orioles are going to be in the difficult spot of defending the World Series title. It will be interesting to see what moves they make to try for a repeat. 

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I won't be surprised if next year's offseason will end up like the disaster that this offseason was, even though it shouldn't be.

Well there is still time for that top of the rotation pitcher (#1-3) to join the team before the season starts.

Edited by Can_of_corn
fixed my ( for * error.

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Elias never said "top of the rotation" that was a construct of some on OH. He did say 1-3, but in GM-speak that "could" be someone to slot ahead of Kremer and Bradish. But I think you already know this.

Yea, that would be why I PUT 1-3 IN THE COMMENT.

A #1-3 starter would be at the top of this rotation.

No amount of GM speak makes any of the off-season acquisitions a #1-3 starter in this league.

For once he flat out said something concrete.

Edited by Can_of_corn

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, that would be why I PUT 1-3 IN THE COMMENT. A #1-3 starter would be at the top of this rotation. No amount of GM speak makes any of the off-season acquisitions a #1-3 starter in this league. For once he flat out said something concrete.

Yes you did put #1-3 in your comment, right after you said "that top of the rotation pitcher (#1-3), hence my response. As for "any of the off-season acquisitions a #1-3 starter in this league" I would submit that Irvin was the #82 pitcher in all of MLB in 2022 as ranked by WAR and there were about 20 RPs ahead of him so he was about the #60 SP in 2022 by WAR. So that should solidly make him at least a #3 SP in this league, by WAR. I don't think ME EVER says anything concrete.

In 2021 he put up 2.0 fWAR and 1.3 rWAR, in 2022 he put up 1.4 fWAR and 2.1 rWAR.  His ERA+ in those years was 97 and 94.

If you accept the mindset that a 2.0 xWAR and 100 ERA+ is "average" he is a marginally below average pitcher.

I like the trade, but he isn't a #3.  I don't even think Elias is trying to pass him off as a #3.  It's just you.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In 2021 he put up 2.0 fWAR and 1.3 rWAR, in 2022 he put up 1.4 fWAR and 2.1 rWAR.  His ERA+ in those years was 97 and 94. If you accept the mindset that a 2.0 xWAR and 100 ERA+ is "average" he is a marginally below average pitcher. I like the trade, but he isn't a #3.  I don't even think Elias is trying to pass him off as a #3.  It's just you.

Nope, I am NOT trying to pass Irvin off as anything, FWIW he isn't a #3 IMO either. However he was #61 ranked SP last year (by WAR, per ESPN) whether you like it or not. I only engaged because you dropped the "top of the rotation" comment which perpetuated disinformation. 

6 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Nope, I am NOT trying to pass Irvin off as anything, FWIW he isn't a #3 IMO either. However he was #61 ranked SP last year (by WAR, per ESPN) whether you like it or not. I only engaged because you dropped the "top of the rotation" comment which perpetuated disinformation. 

I clearly stated #1-#3.  Would a #1-#3 pitcher not be at the top of this rotation?

There was zero disinformation in my post.

Heck I even specified what variety of WAR I was using.

And by saying "that should solidly make him at least a #3 SP in this league" you are suggesting he's a #3 in my book.