Orioles acquire Danny Coulombe

Going Underground

8 hours ago, PHRESH said:

Congrats to DC on the win tonight. This man came into the game and maintained his composure after hitting a guy in the face. I don't think he's anything special, but he was good enough tonight. 

Congrats indeed, but I thought someone had to complete the 5th inning to record a W. Did something change?

16 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

Congrats indeed, but I thought someone had to complete the 5th inning to record a W. Did something change?

Only the starter has to complete the 5th.  If the starter is knocked out and the game is tied or we were losing, it's whoever last pitched when we take the lead.

I believe the official scorer could actually award the win to another pitcher if he felt that pitcher was more vital to the win but I believe that only very rarely happens.  I'm sure the good people here will correct me if I misworded.  

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Only the starter has to complete the 5th.  If the starter is knocked out and the game is tied or we were losing, it's whoever last pitched when we take the lead.

I believe the official scorer could actually award the win to another pitcher if he felt that pitcher was more vital to the win but I believe that only very rarely happens.  I'm sure the good people here will correct me if I misworded.  

Win (W)

Definition

A pitcher receives a win when he is the pitcher of record when his team takes the lead for good -- with a couple rare exceptions. First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

There is also a rarely used clause where an official scorer can deem a relief pitcher's appearance "brief and ineffective." (For example, if a reliever relinquished a one-run lead by allowing three runs, but was still in line for a win after his team scored four runs in the following inning -- that may qualify.) If that's the case, the scorer can award the win to a pitcher who followed that "brief and ineffective" pitcher. Which relief pitcher earns the win specifically is also up to the judgment of the official scorer.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’m not sure he’s more than a decent stopgap, but he got the job done. 

I sort of view him like Plutko - maybe he can be a guy for a month or two and help get us through some early bullpen issues before he hits the wall. That said, I do like his stuff more than Plutko. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I sort of view him like Plutko - maybe he can be a guy for a month or two and help get us through some early bullpen issues before he hits the wall. That said, I do like his stuff more than Plutko. 

Good Comp. Forgot about Plutko. It was tough that Coloumbe was able to have a good performance after hitting a guy in the face and sending him off the field bloodied. That had to be weighing on him. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good Comp. Forgot about Plutko. It was tough that Coloumbe was able to have a good performance after hitting a guy in the face and sending him off the field bloodied. That had to be weighing on him. 

For anyone interested, Plutko actually had a great season in the KBO last year. I believe he resigned with the LG Twins but don't quote me on that. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=plutko001ada