How fast can Cowser be in Boston?

banks703

18 hours ago, banks703 said:

If McKenna doesn’t give you defense he is virtually worthless at the ML level. 

It was a horrendous play, but why aren't you advocating for Cowser to replace Mullins? He has had a terrible defensive series so far. This is ridiculous. Bring up the guy who strikes out in more than 30% of his ABs in AAA, hits .219, doesn't have a great spring and might not be able to handle CF; all because of one bad play by the 4th outfielder. I'm just shaking my head here, and I'm not actually defending McKenna, I think that he could be replaced with someone more capable, but these hot takes are just silly.

Edited by CharmCityHokie
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

It was a horrendous play, but why aren't you advocating for Cowser to replace Mullins? He has had a terrible defensive series so far. This is ridiculous. Bring up the guy who strikes out in more than 30% of his ABs in AAA, hits .219, doesn't have a great spring and might not be able to handle CF; all because of one bad play by the 4th outfielder. I'm just shaking my head here, and I'm not actually defending McKenna, I think that he could be replaced with someone more capable, but these hot takes are just silly.

Because personally I don’t see McKenna’s value and given that Cowser CAN play center, he would be the ideal replacement for McKenna. 

Mullins has misplayed balls as has Hays. That’s a fair criticism of Cedric but Cedric has proven gold glove worthy centerfield and will be fine. As will Hays. McKenna’s JOB is predicated on his defensive ability. If he can’t do the one thing that justifies his roster spot, then why have him on the roster at all?

The pitching is not looking very good so far. The defense HAS to be solid to spectacular behind whoever is on the bump. Cedric will hit. Hays will hit. Ryan does not provide the same offensive potential, not in the same neighborhood, not in the same universe. Mullins and Hays have value that McKenna just does not. Without defense Ryan is EXTREMELY redundant with this roster.  

I realize that it’s one play and one game. I had them improving by 5 wins this year. Yesterday might cut that down to 4. In a hunt for the playoffs EVERY game counts, even the second game of the season. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Turned out to be a pretty good post too lol
    • Offense is down across MLB.  Some people are living in the past re their expectations. 
    • #1 is Gunnar, and it isn't even close.   He appears to be a MVP candidate and could be for the next 10 years.   Lock him up if he's willing.  Big gap #2 is Westburg.  He's a gritty, hardnosed, excellent player who I think we could lock up at a decent price.  Not being a highly touted as Gunnar and Adley I think it's possible a more team friendly deal could be obtained.   He's a solid rock that along with Gunnar could anchor our team for a while.  HUGE gap #3 Holiday.  While his mlb experience was a SSS, it had made me slightly gun shy on extending him.   I still think he'll be fine,  but my expectations have been slightly tempered.  I certainly would not offer what I may have offered in the spring.   Doubt he accepts what I'd be willing to offer at this point.  #4 Adley.  I love the man.   I love how he plays the game,  I love his bat and his baseball makeup.  I don't love his arm accuracy or his pitch calling at times.   But more importantly I don't love the fact that he'll be a catcher in his 30s for most of any extension.  And with some of the talent coming up,  I'm not sure we need an expensive DH/1st baseman type.  Catchers usually age quickly, and while he might pull a Tom Brady and play forever at a high level,  the odds are against it.  I'd extend him,  but only for a short extension,  even if the AV was a bit higher.   #5 Burnes only for a short extension,  3-4 years max.   He's great,  and just what we needed.   And I'd pay high for those 3 years.   But I don't think I'd want to be on the hook for 8 years with any pitcher right now given the injuries lately.  Burnes has been incredibly durable, but so were other pitchers until suddenly they weren't.  #6 everyone else.   Don't want to extend anyone else really.   The pitchers are too volatile and injury prone, the other position players are too flawed (Mullins, Hays, Santander) or too young (Mayo, etc).  
    • A rotation of Bradish, Rodriquez, and Kremer is a solid core.    id love them to resign Burnes. And a decision will need to be made on Means as he’s nearing free agency as well.    I suspect they will find an alternative thats quality if Burnes walks.    I suspect Means because of his medical history is signed cheap or leaves. I’m guessing we can count on one of the AAA guys to be ready soon. 
    • Stowers better get 2 hits or he might get sent down.     
    • I like this lineup tonight and good to see Stowers get a start in RF. 
  • Popular Contributors