DL Hall 2023

justD

Sitting next to a radar gun, FB 94.4, curve 87.8. Nasty action on the breaking stuff. Looks like the complex crew has worked some magic with the lefty #pitcher

tweeted by Eric_Birdland

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

Hall averaged 96.3 mph with his FB last year at the MLB level. With his secondaries, I think he could survive losing a couple ticks and still be a very effective RP this season. The FB velo is obviously critical but even last year I thought his CH was his best pitch, and he seemed more comfortable locating/throwing the SL for strikes than the FB.

Definitely time to pull the plug on trying him as a SP. If he puts together a full, healthy and effective MLB season as a RP you can consider going back there. But if he’s regained any of his velo in FL he needs to be on the fast track to the ‘pen for the stretch run. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Hall averaged 96.3 mph with his FB last year at the MLB level. With his secondaries, I think he could survive losing a couple ticks and still be a very effective RP this season. The FB velo is obviously critical but even last year I thought his CH was his best pitch, and he seemed more comfortable locating/throwing the SL for strikes than the FB.

Definitely time to pull the plug on trying him as a SP. If he puts together a full, healthy and effective MLB season as a RP you can consider going back there. But if he’s regained any of his velo in FL he needs to be on the fast track to the ‘pen for the stretch run. 

I certainly understand your logic.  However, since we have so few, if any high upside starters in the minors, I'd give him one more year of starting before making him a reliever.  Long term, he is much much more valuable as a starter than a reliever.  And plus, Elias has proved adept at finding good relievers for very cheap.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Dear Other MLB GMs,

See, everything is fine. We weren’t trying to keep D.L. on the DL — we were just re-calibrating a few things. And now he’s back, stronger than ever, ready to headline any deal. 18.0 K/9 since his return. Speaks for itself. We will not be fielding further questions. 

Very truly yours,

Mike Elias

He has no trade value right now. 

2 minutes ago, Otter said:

I certainly understand your logic.  However, since we have so few, if any high upside starters in the minors, I'd give him one more year of starting before making him a reliever.  Long term, he is much much more valuable as a starter than a reliever.  And plus, Elias has proved adept at finding good relievers for very cheap.

Maybe next year he goes back to starting, depending on how good he is as a RP and what the MLB bullpen looks like after the offseason. At this point in the season, there’s not going to be much season left to build him up to SP workload regardless of where he’s pitching. He’s certainly not breaking the MLB rotation even if he were stretched out. However, if the velo bounces back enough he could still pass Perez as our 2nd best LH RP for the playoff push. 

7 minutes ago, Otter said:

For the 100th time, there is nothing that says a guy like Hall can’t start his career as a reliever for 1 or 2 years and switch back to starting.    Look at Chris Sale.  Look at Corbin Burnes.   Look at Mike Flanagan.   It’s not something new.

I was also someone who was resistant to the idea of making Hall a relief pitcher and hoped for him to be a starter. But then I started paying attention to how the Braves bring their young pitchers into the Big Leagues, and they put Spencer Strider in the bullpen to start out. He's just one example of several. But he's also the most successful because now he's the ace of the starting rotation.

So I believe that Hall can really help our bullpen and still have a future as a starter. I also hope the Orioles will consider the same possibility for Mike Baumann at some point next season (if he can help the team as a starter).

Focusing back on the type of pitcher Hall is, he's a stuff guy. So he's probably going to have more success breaking into the Majors with 1 or 2 inning outings at a time. Similar to the sample size he provided at the end of last season against the Yankees.