GrayRod or Hall up next?

banks703

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think this is a very stupid idea.

I agree. The whole reason why you sent him to AAA in the first place was to build him up and build some momentum so he could role into the big leagues confident and successful. Scrambling a jet to Texas after 1 shaky start in Durham for Norfolk in the rain is not good circumstances to help him be comfortable for his 1st ever big league appearance.  The Orioles are putting him at a disadvantage by doing this.   They should have learned their lesson with what they did to DL Hall in Tampa. Scrambling a jet randomly out of the blue to start your first ever Major League Game with 20-40 thousand opposing fans screaming against you, while facing a 2+ time Cy Young Award Winner, is not a way to promote successful conditions for your young prospects.

Edited by Billy F-Face3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. The whole reason why you sent him to AAA in the first place was to build him up and build some momentum so he could role into the big leagues confident and successful. Scrambling a jet to Texas after 1 shaky start in Durham for Norfolk in the rain is not good circumstances to help him be comfortable for his 1st ever big league appearance.  The Orioles are putting him at a disadvantage by doing this.   They should have learned their lesson with what they did to DL Hall in Tampa. Scrambling a jet randomly out of the blue to start your first ever Major League Game with 20-40 thousand opposing fans screaming against you, while facing a 2+ time Cy Young Award Winner, is not a way to promote successful conditions your young prospects.

I agree with this. So many similarities to the DL Hall situation, including Adley not being available to catch. 

Not sure what Elias is thinking here. 

If it were me in charge, I would have gone with the plan to start Austin Voth and maybe bring up a reliever who has plenty of options remaining. If that's Kreibeihl, then cool. Otherwise, I'd consider putting Bazardo on the 40-man roster and giving him a big league cup of coffee as an opportunity. In all of his appearances combined for 2023 (spring and regular season), Bazardo has an ERA of 0.00. He has not allowed a single run.

Hopefully Bradish will be back and healed quickly, but even if he has to miss a start, they can just let Wells pitch in that slot and bump Gibson up with Voth following him. Then you still have Baumann as a long man/spot starter, and Keegan Akin who is also capable of some length.

As I noted elsewhere, I don't disagree with the reasoning that there are logical arguments against this move. But, there's a part of me that believes if G-Rod is going to be a bust, he'll be a bust no matter what. He's eventually going to have to face adversity--you can't baby him forever. At least his mom will be happy. 

I am not sure Bradish goes on the IL to make room.   They could send a reliever down like Gillaspie.  I think they may think Bradish's injury will not put him down long enough for a IL stay.   What are IL stays for a pitcher this year?  10 or 15 days?

GRod could be an opener.

GRod did well for 2 innings in ST.   But he ran into trouble in the 3rd and 4th innings.    The plan could be to have him start for 2 innings and then go bat by bat from there forward.  Have Voth ready to follow him as a bulk guy.   Voth went 3 innings twice in ST.   He may be able to go 4 innings if he is pitching well.

Edited by wildcard

I expect Grayson to do better than Hall in their debuts. Texas isn’t the team that TB was. Their lineup is pretty weak. Also, we’re a much better offense then we were last year. We’re reading too much into Benboom catching. I’m sure Benboom caught him in AAA last year. Also, Adley we’ll be a big part of the prep meeting. 

I’m predicting 5+ IP, 3 ER or less. Then we match up with the pen, and steal a sweep. Let’s do this. 

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I agree. The whole reason why you sent him to AAA in the first place was to build him up and build some momentum so he could role into the big leagues confident and successful. Scrambling a jet to Texas after 1 shaky start in Durham for Norfolk in the rain is not good circumstances to help him be comfortable for his 1st ever big league appearance.  The Orioles are putting him at a disadvantage by doing this.   They should have learned their lesson with what they did to DL Hall in Tampa. Scrambling a jet randomly out of the blue to start your first ever Major League Game with 20-40 thousand opposing fans screaming against you, while facing a 2+ time Cy Young Award Winner, is not a way to promote successful conditions for your young prospects.

Attendance was 16,268 last night. Not sure why it would be any better for a weekday game.

Is there any data that really suggests that bringing him up and then possibly sending him back down is going to hinder Grayson’s development? He gets to come up for a surprise start in his home state. I think he’s probably thrilled to have this opportunity. If he does well, great, keep him up. If he still has things to work on, he can go back down and work on them in the minors for a few starts and hopefully be ready to come back up and try again in a few weeks. Feels like a pretty good option for a game where we are in need of a starter. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not sure Bradish goes on the IL to make room.   They could send a reliever down like Gillaspie.  I think they may think Bradish's injury will not put him down long enough for a IL stay.   What are IL stays for a pitcher this year?  10 or 15 days?

GRod could be an opener.

GRod did well for 2 innings in ST.   But he ran into trouble in the 3rd and 4th innings.    The plan could be to have him start for 2 innings and then go bat by bat from there forward.  Have Voth ready to follow him as a bulk guy.   Voth went 3 innings twice in ST.   He may be able to go 4 innings if he is pitching well.

You can’t make a roster move for the first 10 days of the season unless it’s to replace a player going on the IL.

• Upvote 1