Coby Mayo 2023

RZNJ

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And 28th(!!!) double.

Again, this is a guy who is one of the 10 or so youngest players in the league.

Get him to AAA. Today should have been his last game for Bowie.

Is there any site that has data on distance and exit velocity for minor league HRs? Just curious how many of his HR would have been out at Camden Yards. 

10 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Is there any site that has data on distance and exit velocity for minor league HRs? Just curious how many of his HR would have been out at Camden Yards. 

One thing I’ve noticed is that there’s not a lot of hang time on Mayo’s homers.  I think a high percentage of his homers that don’t clear the OPACY wall will be doubles rather than long fly outs.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that there’s not a lot of hang time on Mayo’s homers.  I think a high percentage of his homers that don’t clear the OPACY wall will be doubles rather than long fly outs.  

The eye test says that the ball always explodes off of his bat. I prefer that psuedoscience to the sound of the crack of the bat 😆

It’s interesting to see how much Mayo’s breakout in AA is garnering less attention compared to Gunnar’s last season. There’s clear reasons: 1) obviously massive difference in defensive ability; 2) Gunnar’s swing decisions became elite (K rate 18.3% to BB rate 19.7%); and 3) much of Mayo’s performance is driven by a ludicrous June, meaning he is just starting to get more attention. 

However, Mayo is 6 months younger than Gunnar (so only 6 months older than Gunnar was at the start of last year) and he is far outpacing Gunnar in hitting for power. Mayo’s AA ISO is now up to .318 compared to .261 for Gunnar in AA last year. With K/BB rates that are still very good (if not Gunnar elite levels), he’s actually ahead of Gunnar’s AA wRC+ last year by 181 to 176. 

At this time last year the Orioles had already pushed Gunnar to AAA. Mayo has over 100 more AA PA this year than Gunnar did last year and he really needs to move up. The defensive concerns are legitimate and there’s a question mark on the contact ability so he’s not about to break into the conversation for #1 prospect in baseball like Gunnar did last year at this time, but the elite power and overall offensive performance in AA at 21 should definitely have him pushing for consideration to be in the tier just below that. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Alasdaire said:

The eye test says that the ball always explodes off of his bat. I prefer that psuedoscience to the sound of the crack of the bat 😆

Both clearly superior to how the ball comes out of a pitcher’s hands.