McCann activated Stowers optioned

Pat Kelly

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the organization. I don't think Hyde has that much say in lineups and who is up and down from AAA.

If they don't trust Hyde to at least set the lineup then perhaps they should hire someone they do trust because that's not normal. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

When a 25 percent k percentage is league average I don’t think you can point to a 30 percent k percentage as a huge liability for a guy who hits for power and walks. His K percentage actually improved as he went up the minor league chain. 

It’s rare that a team treats a player nationally regarded as a top 5/6 prospect as nothing more than the 26th man. Vavra and McKenna weren’t nearly as highly regarded coming up and have been treated as clear reserves, yet now they are ahead of him in the team’s eyes.

Something happened between the end of the 22 season and 23, for the organization really to sour on him. Not sure what it was and doubt we’ll ever find out.

Only 3 players in all of MLB had a k% > 30%.  I’d say that’s significant.  

It’s rare that a system is ranked #1 multiple years in a row and have 8-10 players on top 100 lists.  

I don’t think it’s anything personal, I just think they have a ton of choices at this point  and the guy with more options, doesn’t play premium defense, and doesn’t make consistent contact is going to get the short stick.  

I think it’s a good thing overall that a player of his caliber can’t crack the lineup.  as a pro player guy, that excites me even if a player I’m a fan of isn’t getting reps.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Only 3 players in all of MLB had a k% > 30%.  I’d say that’s significant.  

It’s rare that a system is ranked #1 multiple years in a row and have 8-10 players on top 100 lists.  

I don’t think it’s anything personal, I just think they have a ton of choices at this point  and the guy with more options, doesn’t play premium defense, and doesn’t make consistent contact is going to get the short stick.  

I think it’s a good thing overall that a player of his caliber can’t crack the lineup.  as a pro player guy, that excites me even if a player I’m a fan of isn’t getting reps.  

Yep.

Teams in that situation tend to promote their players off the lists.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep.

Teams in that situation tend to promote their players off the lists.

For better or for worse it’s obviously their goal to hoard as much talent in the system as possible.  Does that mean they aren’t trying to compete? That is up for debate.  But the fact of the matter is that they have created a substantial and seemingly impactful pipeline of talent.  I think Stowers will get his shot soon enough.  Hopefully he straps up his boots and gets back to work and continues to prove he belongs.  

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

For better or for worse it’s obviously their goal to hoard as much talent in the system as possible.  Does that mean they aren’t trying to compete? That is up for debate.  But the fact of the matter is that they have created a substantial and seemingly impactful pipeline of talent.  I think Stowers will get his shot soon enough.  Hopefully he straps up his boots and gets back to work and continues to prove he belongs.  

I get all of that.

But when you make comments like you did above part of the reason it is so rare is that, historically, players like Grayson and Hall would have lost rookie status already.  If you removed Grayson and Hall from the O's prospect list this offseason do they still finish #1? 

If the Braves had kept all their young players in the minors where would their farm had ranked?

Edited by Can_of_corn

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get all of that.

But when you make comments like you did above part of the reason it is so rare is that, historically, players like Grayson and Hall would have lost rookie status already.  If you removed Grayson and Hall from the O's prospect list this offseason do they still finish #1? 

If the Braves had kept all their young players in the minors where would their farm had ranked?

Maybe.  Likely not.  However, people were claiming the same thing when Adley was still on the list last year.  I’ve been more impressed by guys shooting up the boards rather quickly like Gunnar did last year.  Norby is another guy that has shot up quickly.  I’m fairly confident that after graduating some players this year, they will still have a top system due to their development system. Look at guys like Hudson Haskin, Darell Hernaiz, Joey Ortiz,  Maverick Handley,  Basallo who just keep steadily improving.  I think there are quite a few guys guys that will be be getting national attention by season end.  Doubt we get a #1 ranking again, but would be shocked if we aren’t top 5.  

Edited by emmett16

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Insurance for what?

If McCann is healthy there is no reason for Bemboom to be on the roster, when would you want to play him?

Hyde

“We want to see Kyle get everyday at-bats, see him get four at-bats a game,” Hyde said. “Still really early in his career. And with the row of left-handed starters that we’re going to be facing here, not only today but in the Oakland series, we thought it was important for Kyle to go get some everyday at-bats in Triple-A. I’m sure he’ll be up here at some point.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hyde

Best way to make sure your young left handed prospect never gets a hit off of left handed pitching is to never let him bat against one.

I think there is more value to being in the big league environment and playing even sparingly against that level of competition than in getting demoted.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Maybe.  Likely not.  However, people were claiming the same thing when Adley was still on the list last year.  I’ve been more impressed by guys shooting ip the boards rather quickly like Gunnar did last year.  Norby is another guy that has shot up quickly.  I’m fairly confident that after graduating some players this year, they will still have a top system due to thwor development system. Look at guys like Hudson Haskin, Darell Hernaiz, Joey Ortiz,  Maverick Handley,  Basallo who just keep steadily improving.  I think there are quite a few guys guys that will be be getting national attention by season end.  Doubt we get a #1 ranking again, but would be shocked if we aren’t top 5.  

I agree, although don't forget that we traded Darell Hernaiz to the A's for Cole Irvin.

6 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

I agree, although don't forget that we traded Darell Hernaiz to the A's for Cole Irvin.

I know he was - but he was an unheralded player who came into system and continued to improve. So much so that he netted us a starting pitcher.  

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

GG caliber Urias and Mateo are play well and hitting.  Frazier has been hitting as well.   That has pushed Gunnar to backup at SS/3B and  more time at DH.   With Adley and Santander also DHing there is no much room for Stowers

But you play Vavra in RF and he misplays a ball in a competitive game while Stowers sit for what reason exactly, a whopping .347 OPS in 8 ABs vs Stowers .333 in 4 ABs???? This is on Hyde, period IMHO.