A's Series

Moose Milligan

10 minutes ago, oriole said:

We also had spring training to watch. The pitching just isn’t that great. I’m not saying they won’t be fun to watch overall, or that they’re sure to have a losing season. I just don’t see any reason to believe anyone on this pitching staff can truly be above average. Well, I guess I could say Bautista but he’s been shaky at times already. Wells is also looking nice. So I’ll amend that and say that the majority of the pitching staff looks to be considerably below average. 

Thought the pitching was pretty good in spring training.   Irvin had a 3.14 spring training ERA.     Gibson 3.86.

We knew going into the season that pitching would have a huge impact on the fate of the team.  I don’t think 9 games tells us much.  Any starting pitcher can have 2 good or bad starts in a row, and any bullpen guy can have a stretch of a week or two where things aren’t going well.  I won’t really think much of any alleged trends until mid to late May.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

We knew going into the season that pitching would have a huge impact on the fate of the team.  I don’t think 9 games tells us much.  Any starting pitcher can have 2 good or bad starts in a row, and any bullpen guy can have a stretch of a week or two where things aren’t going well.  I won’t really think much of any alleged trends until mid to late May.  

You tow a far more level headed line than I do. I can be a reactionary person. But I also had a bad feeling about the pitching going into the season (I think we all did to some degree) and to see the pessimistic outlooks take root right out of the gate leaves me feeling a little sheepish in holding out hope that the team can extend their over achieving play of 2022 into this season.

Ok.  The positives.

1.  Hays barreled the ball all 4 times to the plate last night.   He’s been up and down this season but generally I see him chasing less than last year and swinging well.

2. Bryan Baker has been getting better and better and came up big last night.  His command of his fastball has gotten better with each appearance.

3.  Mateo made a game changing play in the 8th which finally looked like the Mateo from last year.

4.  Good to see 3 RH home runs at home.  If you hit it, it will go.   

We are 5-5 without Santander and Henderson hitting at all.  With Kremer and Irvin each with two bad starts.  With the bullpen working two rookies into the mix.   I see a lot more to be positive about than negative.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Big game tonight. Grayson gets a chance to show what he can do. A chance for the rotation to pass the baton to the next guy. One game at a time. 

I have concerns this one has the making of a reverse lock. Grayson facing a AAA team, Orioles facing a AAA SP with some early success. 

Big game, agreed. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2-0. We battled back too. Good win. Oakland has a AAA lineup. Need a QS from Kremer and for the bats to keep hitting. 

Right. If you can’t hold this lineup down you haven’t done your job.   Last night would have been a horrible loss but Mountcastle saved us.  Kremer needs to give a quality start today.  No excuse not to.   Oaklands bullpen is  probably on fumes as well.